Travel restrictions in NewYork

1 hour ago, Gator said:

I think that I may have been misunderstood. Being a Prof. of Medicine and running a biomedical research lab, I am fully aware that transmission might occur in the absence of symptoms. I will point out, however, that the articles you've referenced have not undergone peer review, but are instead posted on a preprint server, MedRxiv. Hence, you should use caution when extrapolating from their conclusions.

Regardless, that aside, my intention was to convey first, that if you have symptoms, you shouldn't leave your house, period, and second, that fishing alone is unlikely to result in viral transmission, unless you're a fish - and let's hope we never get there. Certainly there is less risk in fishing than in shopping at your favorite grocery store. Particularly if you are COVID positive, but asymptomatic. 

But thank you for the reminder that we all need to be clear so as not to add to the confusion. My apologies.

Meliora!

1 hour ago, bearhunter said:

Reading these posts is making me wonder why drive thru dining is left open, the state parks were left open and the fees were waived. For what purpose without traveling?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fees were waived because there is NO TRAVEL RESTRICTION. You can go to a state park anytime you want. Go for a hike, go fish from shore, go launch your boat... whatever you wanna do. State parks are vast open spaces without a lot of ppl which is where they recommend you go if you want to get out of the house.   Idk where ppl are getting this idea that you’re confined to your house until further notice?

Perch fishermen on Lake Erie in small boats now are doing well and feeding your family is a necessary need. Walleye fishing in Ohio is doing well.

Campgrounds for seasonal use should be good, I hope but travelling campers should have their use confirmed before leaving home.

Opening day of trout season is a cause for concern. Cold weather can cause a cold and compromise your immune system. Crowds at bridges are something to avoid. Maybe just wait for a warm sunshine day instead of a traditional opener.

Edited by jimski2

While you are asked to stay at home, it is the elderly (70+) that are required to remain at home and indoors except for essential services like visits to the grocery store or pharmacy or to get gas, under Matilda's Law.  All  NYS residents when out are required to maintain a 6 foot social distance at this point.  All should follow scrupulously the advise on hand washing, especially after being out in public, and to not touch their face except after hand washing.  And if you are sick or suspect you may have been exposed, like maybe someone you were with in the last 14 days has become symptomatic, you should act as if you were exposed, and self isolate.  We have not gone to Wegman's in 9 days and hope to postpone the next ional trip until next week, and then try to stay on a once every other week schedule.

Drive thru restaurants had to maintain an extremely sanitary procedure when they were sit-down.  The food is cooked and transferred to a container without any manual contact, gloves are used for any process that does not get cooked, like a salad, and the tools (spatulas, etc.) are cleaned frequently.  Our upstate Public Health Departments are pretty aggressive in pushing food safety, and the owners cooperate for the most part because they know that nothing kills a business faster than a food borne illness outbreak.  It has been a violation of health code for a sick employee to go to work and for an owner to let a sick employee work for a long time, so that is nothing new.. . 

My wife said she heard that a number of wealthy folks from New York City have traveled to their summer places on Cape Cod and Nantucket.  I don't think that is real smart as there is only one hospital on the Cape (Hyannis) and very little medical support of any kind on the entire Cape. High anxiety can lead to some really poor reasoning[emoji33]

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

NY State Parks Closed?

Just received a telephone message from NY park reservation system cancelling our week long cabin reservation for Fair Haven Beach State Park last week of April. Never thought they would do this since we virtually don't come into contact with many people other than to buy a license and register at the park. I would consider going west to Oak Orchard but not sure boat ramps would be open especially the state/county run ramp, not sure either about Black North side ramp which I believe is county owned and operated. 

Also moving into their summer camps in the Catskills...

My wife said she heard that a number of wealthy folks from New York City have traveled to their summer places on Cape Cod and Nantucket.  I don't think that is real smart as there is only one hospital on the Cape (Hyannis) and very little medical support of any kind on the entire Cape. High anxiety can lead to some really poor reasoning[emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Trump mulls coronavirus quarantine on New York, New Jersey, Connecticut

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-mulls-imposing-coronavirus-quarantine-on-new-york-new-jersey-connecticut

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I fished solo from my boat of Krings Point State Park. About 25 boats and most with multiple fisherman. The shoreline and docks were loaded with people fishing and many much closer than 6’. I’m worried that they could shut things down like Washington if people continue to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 3/23/2020 at 11:51 AM, justtracytrolling said:

I personally think we should all just stay home a FEW MONTHS and just see what happens.  We are definitely going to our summer place before walleye season opens.  If i have to be out of work I'm going to do it there where I can fish everyday even if I can't guide.  I figure the more careful I am today the better my chances of fishing in May are... either way I'm moving to the lake in a month!

I fixed that for you. In a couple of weeks we may not have even peaked, sadly

As of today there is really nothing to stop anyone from going fishing or going to a state park. Its perfectly fine as long as you keep a six foot distance at all times. However as the season truly approaches ie: the boating season, if this does not slow down OR issues are created then you will see further restrictions...Keep in mind this is truly unprecedented territory everyone is in. 

I live in Fair Haven. Our state park is closed and yes they did cancel all pending reservations because they want to avoid crowds over 50 people. Sure. your ok, been staying at home but if everyone who wants to come up here does then you have a recreational crowd...if that makes sense.

True people in these small shoreline towns have had a terrible past 3 years with floods and all. But we also dont want a low spot to become a hot spot and unfortunately our customer base (fisherman) come from way outside our region and in many cases other neighboring states so there is that contamination factor nobody wants...

The big issue is with the charter captains. Personally I consider them the same as a cruise ship. People packed together for a specific period of time.....If they attempt to run their businesses up here not only will that be disrespectful but also will probably force the govt to make them disband immediately...Again there is a six foot distance rule here. I dont know of too many charter boats that can have 5 clients, one crew and of course sig hansen himself and all be six feet apart at all times.....not to mention sanitary situations like everyone touching the same rods reels boat etc....And yes I was a charter captain decades ago so I understand what is at stake....

The bottom line...fish by yourself and you will be fine stay six feet apart and hope for the best.

003.JPG

Edited by mrclean

It surely isn't just NYC...for us in central NY, look to Syracuse next...the proverbial cat was out of NYC before we knew it was in NYC!  We are weeks behind the curve at a minimum...i said wait a few weeks because I think by then we will see how bad upstate could actually be.  No it won't be over by then.... months for that...Mr clean is right... fishing solo or with those under the same roof will be our only hope to even be fishing at all...I hope I'm wrong.   

• Like 1