BATTERY HELP - $$$ for odd job help

Check the in-line fuse....or fuses if you have more than one battery.This has happened to me several times,where I had to replace damaged fuse booths +connections with heavier duty fuses.Good luck!

If your battery is run wwwaaaayyy down try adding a regular charger to it to charge it to a level where the digital charger doesnt think the battery is bad.  Some of the digital chargers will not charge a battery that is below a certain point.  If it was me I would pull the battery take it home and put it on a charger overnight.  Then go back with that battery and another known good battery(if you dont have one maybe you could pull one out of a vehicle) .  Hook up the old one, if it works great, if it doesnt then hook up the second battery to see if you get the same result.  Hopefully it works for you but if it doesnt you then will know if its the battery or the charger.

• Like 2

Any jump box you would carry in your car...hook it up for a few minutes then unhook and plug in your onboard charger.... pretty good idea to have a jump box...I bought one for each vehicle and for the kids with an air compressor and USB chargers and power inverters for under $150 each I think

2 minutes ago, justtracytrolling said:

A jump box will "get your charger started".  Most all digital battery chargers must read voltage across the terminals before they will turn on...a booster feature will work though

Good point, I have 1 I keep in the boat in case my batteries fail so I can at least get the motor started.  Didnt think of using that to boost the voltage so the charger would pick it up.  You dont thinkl that might cause a problem with the fuse?

You can buy them in home depot or walmart actually.  Mine is a schumacher and was around 100 bucks.

1 minute ago, justtracytrolling said:

Any jump box you would carry in your car...hook it up for a few minutes then unhook and plug in your onboard charger.... pretty good idea to have a jump box...I bought one for each vehicle and for the kids with an air compressor and USB chargers and power inverters for under $150 each I think

Ahh, you werent suggesting plugging them both in at the same time.

2 different chargers on the same device at the same time is not a good idea...if the battery won't hold a little voltage long enough for you to switch chargers then the battery is shot...a load tester is a useful tool as well...when you HAVE to have your boat ready EVERY single day you need some stuff!  I have spare charged batteries ready to go just in case of a charger malfunction and have a generator in case the power goes out!

99% of the time when we have this issue at the marina it’s cause the battery’s so dead the digital charter/ triple charger wouldn’t read a battery.. try unplugging your main charger then use a single charger like a car charger for a over night charge then switch to the other battery after 24hrs.. if you had a battery checker find the dead battery then add the charger to that one for 24hrs but definitely don’t have 2 chargers running at the same time.. make sure you disconnect the triple or double charger and only use the single charger on one battery.. if that doesn’t work or your battery dies down after no use then it’s bad battery/

• Like 1

99% of the time when we have this issue at the marina it’s cause the battery’s so dead the digital charter/ triple charger wouldn’t read a battery.. try unplugging your main charger then use a single charger like a car charger for a over night charge then switch to the other battery after 24hrs.. if you had a battery checker find the dead battery then add the charger to that one for 24hrs but definitely don’t have 2 chargers running at the same time.. make sure you disconnect the triple or double charger and only use the single charger on one battery.. if that doesn’t work or your battery dies down after no use then it’s bad battery/

thanks for this!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have had this problem with my black & decker automatic charger a few times on very low or dead batteries. hooked the charger up and it read bad battery. put the battery in  my truck and ran it for about 15 minutes and problem solved. once the battery has charged take it to any auto parts store and have it tested so you know for sure its good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sherman brown said:

I have had this problem with my black & decker automatic charger a few times on very low or dead batteries. hooked the charger up and it read bad battery. put the battery in  my truck and ran it for about 15 minutes and problem solved. once the battery has charged take it to any auto parts store and have it tested so you know for sure its good.

I am not a mechanic, but if the battery is stone dead I dont think this is good for your alternator.  

Edited by wrinklestar

18 hours ago, wrinklestar said:

I am not a mechanic, but if the battery is stone dead I dont think this is good for your alternator.  

it wont hurt a thing. I had a short in my truck that kept draining my battery plum dead. my charger wouldnt charge it at all. jumped the truck off and ran it for about 15 minutes then shut it off and used the charger to finish charging battery. this happened several times while trying to find the short. didnt hurt the alternator at all.

57 minutes ago, wishinfishin said:

Excuse my ignorance but how does a dead battery hurt the alternator?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i've charged low or dead batteries all my life when I would need a jump. and i'm 68 and never had a alternator go bad because of this. alternators have built in voltage regulators that only let them charge so much. it doesn't matter if you run the battery low starting in cold weather or if the battery is dead. it will charge what the regulator allows.

On 3/24/2020 at 8:54 AM, justtracytrolling said:

Bring mine along every time I fish.  Never know when might need a battery jump or air for a down tire.  Only needed the jump once when main motor wouldn't turn on a 20 degree day but the piece of mind is worth it.