Running Charters

I am planning on putting my boat in the water April 1st. My first of 12 trips this month is on the 4 th. I am not sure of the whole situation. Do i take their temperature, (not gonna happen) look for coughing, sure, or any other signs. Talk to them before they leave their home. This is my livelyhood and we only have so many day's to work. All trips have 4 or less people, no mate. I'm kinda curious what the coasties will say or do. I am self employed and hopefully legal to run these trips. Especially now they are talking possible months. Thought's????

Edited by brucehookedup

You really cant do much but hope.  I would certainly ask the people that if they have been in contact with anyone that could have had the virus to cancel.  Some people have little to no symptoms and the virus can be transmitted prior to the symptoms beginning to show.  I would be vigilant about cleaning the boat and the gear.  If you hunt and have an ozonics you may want to run that somewhere up high in the boat if it can be enclosed.  

1 major difference between how we handle the virus here in the US vs how countries like South Korea and China that have both successfully contained the virus is masks.  Both of those countries basically mandate using masks...here we lie and tell everyone they aren't useful so we don't run out as we don't have the back stock of masks.  I think for my trips the only way I can see to minimize my risk is gloves and masks.  I'm hoping masks and gloves become available...my first trips aren't until May for walleye, though I may try and do some crappie trips before walleye.  

It's a tough situation to be in for sure, I certainly feel for you and hate to be a naysayer on the subject. I enjoy fishing as much as the next guy, it's pretty much my only hobby and I do it year round. However the new mandate states "no individual gatherings of any size for any reason" also 100% of the non-essential workforce must stay home. Again no offense, but a fishing charter would seemingly violate both parts of that mandate. I've read the possibility of civil fines is on the table for violating the mandate. It's your call at the end of the day I suppose. Some people may view it differently than me, but those are my thoughts on it.  Goodluck and stay safe.

• Like 3

I agree it is a tough situation, but go take a drive around.  I have been in my house working from home for a week and a half, left the house to pick up a couple of things and you would think nothing was going on. Cars and people all over everywhere.  Frankly in this situation the people showing up for their fun charter like nothing is going on are the ones mostly at fault.  I am not going to criticize someone trying to make a living.

I figure there is little chance I'll be doing many charters...it won't be a workforce issue for me as it's just me...I can keep 6 feet of distance and most of my groups are families that live under the same roof so there is no gathering...im pretty sure there is no issue with getting away with it legally...hell many of my trips are at night and nobody is ever gonna know...the problem is to do enough business to really make any money the captain is gonna get sick...and then you are out of business.  Hopefully things improve from our efforts now...

This is a question for your attorney.  This is a matter of Liability.  If a group is on your vessel and someone gets sick the Health department investigation will track back thru your boat as they have each individual retrace there steps for 14 days.  You and your insurance company could become liable.  That is the short answer and again definitely ask your attorney.  I spent most of last weekend on the phone with our corporate attorney clearing our work site under the governors rules.  People should not be within 6ft of anyone outside of the people that they share the same house with.  Tough situation for everyone all the way around.  I hope it comes to end soon.

• Like 2

Let me play a little devils advocate,

The current mandate is “non essential Business” are shut down. You can argue all you want about a charter business being considered “Essential”. I’m not debating it.

What bothers me the most about it is the pot calling the kettle black for some. That same charter who says “ I’m still gonna take my charters out” would be the first in line to call out another boater for not having his charter license because he’s not following the laws......

Is it walk the walk?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you look at the website setup to explain essential business it clearly states that any business with only 1 occupant/employee is exempt.  Assuming the business isn't specifically listed as must close.  Not to mention any vehicle for hire is considered essential.  I still don't see running charters as viable even if legal.

I think anyone could reach for what they want to hear. I get it. It’s tough all around right now for a lot of people. Vehicles for hire is for transportation, again essential. The one employee being exempt is while being able to maintain 6ft distance right? At the end of the day, decisions being made affect a lot of people, others will discount it, some will follow it. Hopefully all or most will do the right thing for what they were intended for.

Like I said, legally it's not an issue to do charters, the six feet is tricky, and you can only do 1 person or family...but not necessarily feasible.  We need to stay home a couple more weeks and hope that we can flatten the curve and get past this by summer time.

It's a tough situation to be in for sure, I certainly feel for you and hate to be a naysayer on the subject. I enjoy fishing as much as the next guy, it's pretty much my only hobby and I do it year round. However the new mandate states "no individual gatherings of any size for any reason" also 100% of the non-essential workforce must stay home. Again no offense, but a fishing charter would seemingly violate both parts of that mandate. I've read the possibility of civil fines is on the table for violating the mandate. It's your call at the end of the day I suppose. Some people may view it differently than me, but those are my thoughts on it.  Goodluck and stay safe.
Agree , if was the client that book the charter the charter Captain would have to make the decision cuz I would cancel the charter just to keep my friends and family safe it's not the time to take the chance . I wouldn't even feel comfortable if I went on the charter due to this virus.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 minutes ago, fisherdude said:

Agree , if was the client that book the charter the charter Captain would have to make the decision cuz I would cancel the charter just to keep my friends and family safe it's not the time to take the chance . I wouldn't even feel comfortable if I went on the charter due to this virus.

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Which is the reason even though legal not feasible

as a frontline first responder during this pandemic and an avid angler.  I would 100% suggest going to the store and purchasing a thermometer and taking temps prior to going out.  A fever is a big thing with this virus.  Yes you can be asymptomatic and transmit it.  Takes an extra 5 mins to take temps.  Be ready to offer a refund should someone have a temperature.  Try and purchase disposable gloves for people to wear.  Depending on the size of the boat perhaps reduce party size for the charter.  This has the potential to spread like crazy and already is.  The extra cost for the thermometer and gloves is a small price to pay for the added professionalism to your business.  Let also your insurance coverage and your conscience factor into the decision as well.

Edited by Puck5760

Personally I think running charters at this point is a "gray area".....but really not.

As stated above one person operations are not required to close their businesses wether deemed essential or not per the EO.

The issue becomes when now you have the captain and several other people in close quarters, 6' of separation becomes impossible. So now that there is close contact the question of "Essential" becomes relevant......Gray area? You decide

On the clients side they would be violating the #2 of the Pause order. "No social gatherings of any size for any reason" Not Gray. 

Item line #6 of the Pause Order also states something to the effect of "solitary outdoor recreational activities".

On the NYS website there is a link to inquire or apply for exemption for the EO. I think we know the answer if a Charter Operation applied for exemption, However I could be wrong.

For the full time Captains just coming out of the winter with little or no revenue this is a tough pill to swallow for sure. 

Even if it was decided that Charters could be legally run bookings would certainly be tougher to come by. Sadly I am sure that captains are getting some cancellations already.

Hopefully this virus runs its course sooner than later and we can get back to business as normal.

• Like 2

I guess stepping back from the main issue of "go or not to go" foremost in my mind is that many lawyers will also be looking for work right now and we are a litigation happy society unfortunately. The chance of the worst chance scenario of someone or a number of people getting sick  or a death at absolute worst would prohibit me from chancing it. For some their entire assets could be up for grabs as insurance companies would be likely to bail on you given the high publicity around the restrictions, and just look at the ads on TV and it is clear some of them look for anything to go after when money is involved. Not worth taking the chance. I would be looking at ways to survive this  even taking out loans etc. till the emergent nature of this blows over rather than chancing losing everything I own.

• Like 2

Agree Les, and I probably should of clarified my dealings with this topic as it relates to me personally in the Essential vs Non essential and the work place. I’ve had my fair share of emergency meetings, calls, etc on this as some on here as well and one person that stood out to me when trying to figure out next steps etc, made a comment about businesses and departments trying to determine if they truly are ok with keeping the business running was, are you adding value to the cause or are you adding value to your pockets. Each path you take will have results. One will be long term, one short. You’ll have to figure out which path you want to take. And he closed it up “provided your doing it legally”.

6 hours ago, justtracytrolling said:

1 major difference between how we handle the virus here in the US vs how countries like South Korea and China that have both successfully contained the virus is masks.  Both of those countries basically mandate using masks...here we lie and tell everyone they aren't useful so we don't run out as we don't have the back stock of masks.  I think for my trips the only way I can see to minimize my risk is gloves and masks.  I'm hoping masks and gloves become available...my first trips aren't until May for walleye, though I may try and do some crappie trips before walleye.  

The other difference is they forced everyone to stay at home period. No work, no shopping no seeing grandma. If the US had done this 3 weeks ago we could have nipped this in the proverbial bud. The cats out of the bag now and its going to be a much longer time(6-18 months) before this is contained. But hey we got an extra 2 weeks of the stock market looking good before it collapsed. Dow 12k is on the way.

• Like 1

It's totally legal still to run charters/guide  if done right....that's not the issue...you won't have enough customers to make it feasible enough to make any money nor does it's seem possible to protect yourself day after day if you could find customers