Running Charters

I said from the start you can do it for now but it's not feasible.  Im crossing my fingers for mid May, but not optimistic!  Looks I'm gonna get some time to fish myself personally!  The lodging is the part that is going to be the worst problem for me at least.  Even after the worst is over disinfecting daily is going to be a nightmare...a boat is a far easier situation.  I may not do any lodging unless it's a multiple day trip ...can't imagine any other way.  We all just have to tighten our belts a little and just persevere like every other hard working American!  I've been trying to put my situation in perspective...it's nothing compared to what our healthcare professionals are doing for all of us!  Along with all our troops, police and first responders that lay it on the line every day.  Something to think about when you feel overwhelmed!  

• Like 2

Walleye fishing is out of this world on the west end of Erie. A Lot of Charters on Lake Erie are cancelling. One newbie (a lot of them, now that walleye fishing is outstanding) said he was going to continue trips. He took an a$$ chewing. One issue they are having is a lot of out of state folks arriving with their own boats. This has gotten the attention of ODNR and the Highway Patrol. Saw posts of responses from both entities. ODNR said continue to fish (wonder if she took into account out-of-state folks) and suggested scout for turkey. Highway Patrol said fishing isn’t essential travel. So, mixed responses. This info from another fishing site, not my own investigating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now with all of the travel restrictions talking april 30th, i have moved all of my april trips into may and june fingers crossed. Fortunately all of my customers were very understanding and dealing with similar issues as well. It suck's but what are gonna do. I would much rather be safe, unlike some other people i know of that don,t care. Be healthy and safe, we only live once.

• Like 4

What I find interesting in all this is nobody really talks about the "Moral" value. Sure we can discuss the liability, financial loss, my clients, my money, sole proprietor , exception, non exception but lets discuss the Moral side for a minute.

99% of you charter captains do not charter in your own back yard. Many trailer their boats. Your customer base is mostly made of clients outside the south shore areas. This I know from being in the marina business and former six pack captain for 4 decades.  Your basically bringing in people from outside our areas who you truly do not know their personal lifestyles and really are putting communities who may not have a high infection rate at risk. This is a time that everyone is being asked to stay home and give things up for now. I have lost money and work due to this. Im also giving up something very personal in my life right now that goes way beyond the immortal life of the salmon fisherman. For moral reasons we all need to stay home for now best we can. This may not be a popular statement amongst the boys I get it!. But dont worry, this time next year you will all be back at it ..For now fish from shore alone, in your own streams and rivers, if you live on the lake like I do, keep it solitary for now......Its a moral issue at this point.

• Like 2

Lol and I have the cleanest boats in the fleet because I have the best boat cleaner in the industry since 1992 lol. (Im retired now). And you know how im keeping them all clean?? Keeping everyone off them for now lol..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrclean said:

What I find interesting in all this is nobody really talks about the "Moral" value. Sure we can discuss the liability, financial loss, my clients, my money, sole proprietor , exception, non exception but lets discuss the Moral side for a minute.

99% of you charter captains do not charter in your own back yard. Many trailer their boats. Your customer base is mostly made of clients outside the south shore areas. This I know from being in the marina business and former six pack captain for 4 decades.  Your basically bringing in people from outside our areas who you truly do not know their personal lifestyles and really are putting communities who may not have a high infection rate at risk. This is a time that everyone is being asked to stay home and give things up for now. I have lost money and work due to this. Im also giving up something very personal in my life right now that goes way beyond the immortal life of the salmon fisherman. For moral reasons we all need to stay home for now best we can. This may not be a popular statement amongst the boys I get it!. But dont worry, this time next year you will all be back at it ..For now fish from shore alone, in your own streams and rivers, if you live on the lake like I do, keep it solitary for now......Its a moral issue at this point.

Very well said. There has never been a time in my memory at least that the importance of maintaining a  rational perspective has been more important, and having a sense of moral responsibility to our citizenry of paramount concern.

• Like 1

When the stock market crashed in 1929, people were jumping out of windows. We must outlast this situation and being home confined is not the worst deal. Take it one day at a time and this will end, so get a six pack, turn on the TV and wait till this passes. 

Edited by jimski2

45 minutes ago, jimski2 said:

When the stock market crashed in 1929, people were jumping out of windows. We must outlast this situation and being home confined is not the worst deal. Take it one day at a time and this will end, so get a six pack, turn on the TV and wait till this passes. 

Id have to crack my history book again but I think I remember that was much worse because buying on margin was much more prevalent back then

Edited by bandrus1

On 3/24/2020 at 8:56 PM, fisherdude said:

What a joke . Trump say churches will be full and I will be fine by Easter

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's not at all what he said, but whatever.  i would recommend putting down the CNN, it's rotting your brain.

• Like 10

Now that would work lol....If we can pack the churches on Easter Sunday looking like that we would be fine...And HEY where did you get that mask and face shield. Those are in high demand now lol

On 3/29/2020 at 7:56 PM, brucehookedup said:

Now with all of the travel restrictions talking april 30th, i have moved all of my april trips into may and june fingers crossed. Fortunately all of my customers were very understanding and dealing with similar issues as well. It suck's but what are gonna do. I would much rather be safe, unlike some other people i know of that don,t care. Be healthy and safe, we only live once.

I am in total agreement with N.Y. in the pausing of running fishing charters. You do not know where the people have been and what they have done.I would not want to put anyone in that circumstance including myself. Let's hope someone enforce's this to get over this s""t sooner then later. The fish are going nowhere. IMO

5 minutes ago, brucehookedup said:

I hear that the DEC is starting to enforce the boats that are busy with people.

I have been out solo 3 of the last 4 days. Most boats I have seen are 2 people. Did see a few with 3-4 people on board. Some people just don't get it.

City of Oswego closed the public amenities like parks & playgrounds. While trolling yesterday I saw groups people on the beach!

Just heard from a customer of mine whose entire family has recovered from the virus and have been released from quarantine.  I now have a group I can take that I can't catch the virus from or give it to when the time comes!  Hopefully we can be back working sometime in May! 

That is great Justin. I think if they can get that testing dispersed to the larger population so we know who has and hasn't been positive and the blood serum antigen test  things could present a much improved picture. If only everyone would cooperate  it would be a much better scenario.