Hewescraft Alaskan 250 for Lake Ontario and Finger Lakes

Jermedic

All, I’m a big fan of aluminum fishing boats and I’m gravitating toward a Hewescraft 250 Alaskan - it has a pilot house as I have small children I need to keep out of the snot if things kick up.  I also absolutely need a dedicated marine head (stand up) which this boat has.   

Do you think this all aluminum boat will get too hot in the summer? Is it overkill for Ontario/Finger Lakes?

Want to make it a trolling machine

Any alternatives with my requirements that you’d recommend (pilot house, dedicated marine head)? 

Prefer running outboards...

Thbanks in advance!

I almost bought one this past December, I just didn't think the price was justified, even though my wife told me to buy it.  I instead picked up a 2007 Trophy Pro with the Alaskan cabin, and hopefully I'll be able to get it out this season.

The pilot houses don't get as hot as you might think.

On warm days we roll up the drop curtain, open the side windows & windshield center to create some air flow.

The 250 Alaskan is a beast for a boat its size, certainly not too big though. 

250 only comes with the solid bulk head & door. No Curtain option. The nice part is you can lock your gear though.

I would really like to see one of these West Coast companies build a wide body  25-27' boat. Maybe 9'6" beam or so.

Gotta go to 29' & up for the wider beams.

There's no question that the Hewescraft is an exceptionally well designed and built boat. However it seems like the question for most of us  is how much money can a married person afford to spend on a fishing boat and what kind of bang for the buck you are getting back all the while continuing to be blissfully wed? 

There is a hewescraft that I see at the Otisco launch a few days a year, and I've talked to the guy several times and checked it out.  It's an unreal ultimate trolling boat.  He launches it no prob and it doesn't seem like it's too much boat to me....just too much money!!  

They are not cheap that is for sure but neither are some of the brands we see everyday. When you compare to Lund, Crestliner & other boats considered to be upper end by some you will find that they really aren't any more money than some of the west coast boats. In most cases less. The real issue is no good dealer representation in our market so delivery & warranty work are hurdles.

Edited by Rookie Fisherman

35 minutes ago, Jermedic said:

I’m looking for an Alaska bulkhead with a bench inside the pilot house or at least seating for four - need to keep my kids contained and warm underway 

the guy on Otisco have a pilot house ? 

It looks identical to the one int picture I think.  I don't know much about the hewescraft models so I can't say for sure, but it looks like a tank!!  I'm a big fan of aluminum boats as well, but on Otisco the perfect aluminum boat is a pontoon hands down!  Now add a pilot house to a tri toon and now you have my future project.  Just have to wait till there are beat up tri toons laying around to buy to do the build...