Conesus Inlet

My wife and I stopped there a couple days ago. Really cool to see all the pike trying to get over the foot high dam. At least when we were there only saw one little pike make it over the dam. Was wondering if the pike do actually get over the dam or do they spawn somewhere between the dam and the main lake. There is a huge wetland which would be prime spawn area above the dam. Just curious.

Great place to take kids for a biology home school course. Wonder how much longer the spectacle will last. Anyone know? Reminded me of our once in a life time Alaska cruise last year (glad we didn't schedule for this year) where we saw thousands of salmon on a spawning run up a tiny creek in Ketchican.

18 minutes ago, guff said:

My wife and I stopped there a couple days ago. Really cool to see all the pike trying to get over the foot high dam. At least when we were there only saw one little pike make it over the dam. Was wondering if the pike do actually get over the dam or do they spawn somewhere between the dam and the main lake. There is a huge wetland which would be prime spawn area above the dam. Just curious.

A lot do make it over the spillway.  I'd imagine many of the ones that can't make it over will spawn in the creek below the spilway, along with the walleye.

I have duck hunted in that marsh.  Without that spillway, there would still be plenty of spawning habitat.  Some spots we hunted were over waist deep.  Do big pike make it back to the lake after spawning?  If they are left in that marsh, the water will get to warm for them to maintain body weight.  Does anyone know when that spillway was constructed?  The pike population in Conesus is nothing compared to what it was in the 70's and 80's according to the old timers I know that live on the lake.  

I imagine DEC had a good reason why they built the spillway the way they did but the pike did not seem to have any trouble swimming up the concrete apron until they hit the foot high dam. Seems like if the apron was a foot higher and on the same slope all the pike would have made it up into the massive wetland.The concrete apron would have to be extended downstream until it got to the proper elevation but that would not seem to be a huge construction project. Just a thought. Again I imagine there is a good reason why it was built the way it was. Just my 2 cents worth.