Clipper releases

Thought I could never run out of releases but last couple trips burned the through my stash of over 36 Pilgrims and didn't want to bring in the boards. I started into a bunch of clipper releases I have but have never used and began to see why guys seem to use rubber bands with them . I run 6 lb test on my planer board rods and the trick to adjusting the clippers to hold onto the 6 lb just right eluded me. Does anybody run the Clippers without bands and if so what's the secret to adjusting them? Thanks

I remember reading here on the LOU awhile ago to use feeler gauges to set your clippers to the lb. test you use. I tried it and seemed to give a consistent tension

3 hours ago, UNREEL said:

I remember reading here on the LOU awhile ago to use feeler gauges to set your clippers to the lb. test you use. I tried it and seemed to give a consistent tension

I'll have to see if I can track that down. It makes sense

1 hour ago, orangediablo said:

trial and error.  They can get tricky for walleyes in a good chop

Seems like a 1 1/2 lb brown pulls a flat line out of a release easier than a 3 1/2 lb walleye does. I guess it's just the resistance of the speed differential.

1 minute ago, chowder said:

Seems like a 1 1/2 lb brown pulls a flat line out of a release easier than a 3 1/2 lb walleye does. I guess it's just the resistance of the speed differential.

Without a doubt.  We've learned to read the board line pretty well to know if we are dragging one.  Since we use a mix of braid and mono for board lines, we use the green clips for braid and orange for mono.  That way we aren't constantly readjusting the releases.

• Like 1

I use a Weldon pad release with a dog clip. When a small fish is on, the heavy dog clip is easy to see hanging straight back. The heavy clip slides down the line easier in wind

23 hours ago, Gill-T said:

I use a Weldon pad release with a dog clip. When a small fish is on, the heavy dog clip is easy to see hanging straight back. The heavy clip slides down the line easier in wind

I used the clippers on Saturday with a bolt stuck in the provided spot on the release- they move nicely this way. I also used them with the amish outfitters rubber bands cuz I was going into a choppy SE wind that would have otherwise pulled the line out of the releases. I like these things, have to experiment more