Lake ontario thoughts ?

Dr W

Well the boat is ready and Sodus point is where I prefer to launch but I hesitate to go because there are so few others going out now. IF you get into trouble there are so few

people out on the lake you might be hard pressed to get towed in!  I always watch out for other fisherman and have towed a few folks in over the years

What is my point?  Perhaps we should have a board and post our ports and when we are going out and have our marine radios on to CH16  and watch each others backs ?

I plan of getting out soon and I will keep my radio on and you need help just call  Vessel "Low Profile"  I will pull tackle and tow you in !  Dr W 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mrm31790 said:

Do most guys keep their radios on ch16? I just put one on my boat and was wondering which channel to stay on. I’ll be out of fair haven Saturday. 

Set to scan.  Local use channels such as 67 and 69 in my area  plus 16. 

Good topic. Years ago before EVERYONE had a cell phone there was lots of chatter on the VHF radio. Its very quiet now and personally I don’t like it. The purpose of your VHF is safety. Your supposed to all ways be monitoring 16 even if it’s on scan. We all need to get back to this. Cell phones are not dependable especially on the open lake. I miss the days when I’d get info on the radio to help the days catch. I’ve made some friends on the radio. But # purpose is safety! The radio got me towed in once by CG. Another time by a fisherman 20 years ago and he’s still my friend.Yeah,turn the radio on even if u just leave it on 16.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Do most guys keep their radios on ch16? I just put one on my boat and was wondering which channel to stay on. I’ll be out of fair haven Saturday. 

It is mandatory to monitor channel 16. It is the emergency and hailing frequency

In general, any vessel equipped with a VHF marine radiotelephone (whether voluntarily or required to) must maintain a watch on channel 16 (156.800 MHz) whenever the radiotelephone is not being used to communicate.

The USCG operates a station on a hilltop on the Chautauqua Ridge that monitors VHF radio transmission from western Lake Erie to the St. Lawrence River. Yes, regulations require your radio to monitor Channel 16 at all times for marine safety broadcasts, distress calls, repeat distress calls and personal messages where you switch and answer on another designated frequency. The line of sight FM signals are reached from the high elevation of the hilltop and tower.Also nearby USCG stations operate higher elevation radio towers.

Edited by jimski2

Thank you all !  

Channel 16 is the hailing and distress frequency  and  Station Rochester and Oswego monitor it as do all USCG stations 

Sad to say but the USCG.Aux is a shadow of what it was in the 1990's - 2000's era  There are still some Auxiliary units in the Genny and Sodus point but no where the numbers we had 20 years ago. [To many lawyers got involved and made it all but impossible to serve like we did] 

It is up to us to cover each others back now  in the early season when there are fewer boats out. 

Good fishing !  See you all on the water ~ 

Dr W on the vessel "Low Profile"  

Out 

I am new to the radio world. In LO, what is an appropriate channel/way for me to conduct a radio check? 

Do regular radio checks, but do them on a recreational communications channel, not on 16, 9, 22 or any other restricted channel. Something the authorities find quite aggravating is when a recreational boater calls on an emergency channel requesting a "radio check." Hailing "TowBoatUS" on 68 is an easy way to conduct a check.

What channels should you use for regular conversations? Channels 68, 69, 71, 72, and 78A are considered non-commercial channels, and in most areas, 68 and 72 are commonly used by the recreational-boating community. But remember that the VHF is officially for "operational" purposes. This can be as informal as passing on a weather report, but conversations about what the dog chewed up yesterday are inappropriate. Some channels, such as 70, have restricted use, and you can't use them for voice communications. This is a quote from the USCG radio protocol manual. Asking for a radio check on 16 will probably get you a warning from the coast guard to “ move your idle chatter to a recreational frequency “. Lol

• Like 1

I have my pontoon boat in Hughes Marina about 7 miles west of Sodus.  If anyone is out and gets into trouble and I am around fell free to give me a call.  I live 3 miles from Hughes and can assist if available!!!  585-261-4929.  Another option in our area is the Pultneyville Fire company has a rescue boat available if you call them.  They will also tow you in at no charge to the nearest port I believe.  And you always have the option of calling the Coast Guard.  

DCE11F25-51E5-41AB-8F6F-D59C9616DD4B_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by dandyeyes
spelling and added a pic
  • Like 2

Been boating for over 60 years.  I offer this from experience for what it's worth.  Put your radio on channel 16.  Use the WX button to check once in a while for weather updates possibly alerting you to incoming storms.  Ask me how I know!  Hail other boats on Channel 16.  When they respond, say switch to 68 or 72 and continue your conversation.  It is considered proper etiquette to hail on Ch 16, but it is not appropriate to carry on conversations there.  And if you are tuned to 16, you like everyone else become the eyes and ears of the entire boating community out there.  You may be the first and best person in position to lend assistance.  And believe me, the United States Coast Guard hears EVERYTHING!  I you call for help, they'll be on you as fast as humanly possible so with all due respect, the notion that they are somehow diminished would be a hard sell to any of the men and woman who wear the uniform.  Their commitment to service is heartfelt and reliable.  They'll be there, rest assured.

A marine radio is still the single best safety device one can carry on board.  A cell phone is useless if you don't know who to call.  You hit 16 and call for help, the world stops.  You are no longer alone.  All boaters share the same creed.  Hope this addresses some of your concerns.

And a Thank You to "dandyeyes" for such generosity.  Not sure I've ever seen anyone on here do something like this.  Always liked the folks from Hughes Marina.  Nice group of people.

• Like 2

It is also a very good idea to become a member of BoatUS. Dependent on your membership level you can have both road and water towing. You can hail TowboatU.S. on VHF 16 or call 800-391 4869.

Thanks to the replies. I conducted a good check today, on ch 16, with a side note containing professional frustration in the coast guard operator’s voice for my “recreational boat radio check” to henceforth be done on Ch 9. I appreciate the seriousness of the matter, though, as mine is a fishing and a family boat. Thanks to the replies, and wholeheartedly agree with Grady95, hats off to the service-members. Lets all have a good, safe year on the water this year. 

On 3/31/2020 at 2:54 PM, dandyeyes said:

I have my pontoon boat in Hughes Marina about 7 miles west of Sodus.  If anyone is out and gets into trouble and I am around fell free to give me a call.  I live 3 miles from Hughes and can assist if available!!!  585-261-4929.  Another option in our area is the Pultneyville Fire company has a rescue boat available if you call them.  They will also tow you in at no charge to the nearest port I believe.  And you always have the option of calling the Coast Guard.  

DCE11F25-51E5-41AB-8F6F-D59C9616DD4B_1_201_a.jpeg

On 3/31/2020 at 9:19 PM, BraddockBayRat said:

Thanks to the replies. I conducted a good check today, on ch 16, with a side note containing professional frustration in the coast guard operator’s voice for my “recreational boat radio check” to henceforth be done on Ch 9. I appreciate the seriousness of the matter, though, as mine is a fishing and a family boat. Thanks to the replies, and wholeheartedly agree with Grady95, hats off to the service-members. Lets all have a good, safe year on the water this year. 

Actually the Coast Guard and Auxiliary are told to refrain from towing you in unless it is an emergency ! and to call a commercial tow service [sad]  [towboatus]   I will look for you out of Hughes next trip out..  Neat seeing a pontoon out trolling ~

Yes to the suggestion to join Boat US.  They also have the best boat insurance policy I've seen.  It includes a provision for striking an underwater object.  I hit the American Shoal two years ago up on The River with one of the boats, a 2015 Grady White 225 with a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke.  Did over $8,000 damage to the motor and boat.  Boat US paid everything but the $750 or so deductible.  Underwater hazard inclusion on a policy is a lifesaver.  And, they do also have towing and roadside assistance. Well worth the premiums.

No doubt you're going to run into an occasional USCG radio operator with a bit of attitude, but they're human like the rest of us!  I know way too many who don't so take it with a grain of salt.  

Agreed. 

So again, monitor 16 while on the water and if you hear someone in distress and you are somewhere in the vicinity, pull your lines and go try to lend assistance.  Every second counts. 

We're a brotherhood out there guys.  Always remember, "There but for the grace of God goes you."

I hope if I am ever in trouble, someone like jimsji2 is the first person to hear my distress call.

Grady