Electric or manual start

I’m considering buying a new 15hp outboard for my 14’ aluminum v bottom. I have trolling motor on back with battery.

1. Can I hook up electric motor to same trolling motor battery? (Gas can is also in back...don’t want another battery)

2. Do electric have advantages over manual or disadvantages that I should be aware of?

I’m 50 years old and hope this will be last motor I’ll ever need to buy. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just a couple comments in the way of a non-expert opinion;

1. Electric trolling motors usually use deep cycle rather than starting batteries. Starting your motor takes a different draw on the battery than usage over time such as that of an electric trolling motor. For a small motor like a 15 HP it doesn't take as much juice to start as larger motors though but an electric trolling motor being on for some time and especially at the upper speed range could take it down a lot.

2. A couple advantages  at least to having an electric start trolling motor a) They are usually easier than pulling the cord to get the motor started and are more convenient;especially in cold weather (given you have a fully charged battery) and most have an alternator with battery charging capability. Most have to be running pretty fast to significantly charge though. Most electric starts can also be started by pulling the cord as well if battery fails.

If you are doing a lot of use on the electric trolling motor you may want to use a deep cycle battery  or get a dual starting/deep cycle. You can always start the 15 HP by the cord if need be.

At my dinosaur age I wouldn't even consider a manual start at this point and I think it is worth the extra money and very slight weight difference. A 15 HP should push that 14 ft boat pretty good:smile:

That’s funny you sent me that info, because that’s the exact one I’m looking at getting. I like the fact that I can use the pull start as a back up option if needed. You made my day by confirming that motor.
My biggest question now is if can I hook it up to my trolling motor battery that I’m going to be using in this small boat. I definitely do not want to use two batteries. It’s crowded enough. From what I’ve been hearing I think I’ll be ok. It’s not a big hp motor, so the draw won’t be too bad...plus if I wear it down during the day, pull start option. I appreciate all the feedback.

If you are serious about fishing and go a lot , I would take the time to set the boat up to the max . 

Would-be the electric  start as big as the,boat will take,. 

2 battery  setup , one dedicated to the trolling motor . Maybe extention cables to put one battery mid ship under a seat or something . 

A cheap depth finder , maybe running lights , an ice chest . 

A spot for everything like anchor ,ropes , PFDs  ,toolbox ,etc . 

A few rod holders and if you plan on trolling , a removable board with manual riggers mounted across the gunnels. 

Sit in it and think it out and take some time . 

I enjoy setting my boats up . 

It is a 14 ft boat and I think you are right about not having 2 heavy batteries in the back of it along with your gas tank. The Suzuki looks like a nice motor. Just another consideration: Is there anyone nearby that services them?  Usually the small motors are pretty problem free but not always. By the way onlineoutboards were good to deal with when I bought my Tohatsu from them.

Just bought a 9.9 Tohatsu with electric start and power trim from OUTBOARDDIRECT.COM. Free delivery and no tax. I talked to the guy on the phone and turns out he used to own onlineoutboards. For what ever reason he sold it and practice law for awhile and then decided to start another outboard business. After chatting with me for awhile he offered me a $100 off. I'm using this as a kicker on my Alumacraft t-pro 185. Ran it for an hour Thursday just for break-in, 9 more hours to go.

I run a 15HP Mercury 4 stroke with electric start, and a transom mount trolling motor off a single group 29 battery. I did mount my battery at the bow. This is on a 14' Tracker Guide. The new motors are EFI, and should start much easier than carburetor models like mine. So far so good for me, but I don't use this boat for extended periods.

That’s funny you sent me that info, because that’s the exact one I’m looking at getting. I like the fact that I can use the pull start as a back up option if needed. You made my day by confirming that motor.
My biggest question now is if can I hook it up to my trolling motor battery that I’m going to be using in this small boat. I definitely do not want to use two batteries. It’s crowded enough. From what I’ve been hearing I think I’ll be ok. It’s not a big hp motor, so the draw won’t be too bad...plus if I wear it down during the day, pull start option. I appreciate all the feedback.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One can buy battery cable in any length from Napa. Go the second battery route, and put the starter battery in the bow of the 14'er. Probably needs a little weight up there anyway. Route the longer battery cables where you want them, or like them and be confident with both motors.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

When I had my 13 ft Whaler I had two 6 gal tanks up in the bow on either side with extended gas lines one to main and one to kicker. I felt I needed the separate gas tanks because I often fished out near the shipping lanes back then (a lot of strange looks form the tanker folks):lol: Never a problem with them and it did keep the bow down during planing. Could free up room in the back for you.

Edited by Sk8man

There are dual use batteries, both starting and deep cycle. For my main engine, 100 HP Merc and my 10 HP Honda kicker I use one starting battery which also supplies my electronics and cell phone charger.This has worked for over ten years. The Honda is easy to start with the pull cord and it charges the battery when it runs. When my old Evinrude failed to start the Honda brought me home at 6 MPH. There you go.

You can use one battery for both like jimski2 stated above get a dual use battery.  See how much you are actually using the boat and then decide if the plan is not working.  As long as the motor has a pull start on it, you can still get in.   

Wal-Mart's best marine battery . They are duel use . 

100$ 

Been using them for years and they are awesome for the price . 

I have 2 chargers . I digital up to 15 amps . 1  which is a 2 amp digital  charger maintainer cost  20$  . I use the 2 amp most of the time . They both charge the battery safely  and have an automatic plate cleaning cycle . Also been told they equalize the cells . I have batteries that are  10 years old . Because I think of those chargers . 

Buy an electric start with the alternator option. It charges the battery as you troll. I have a 9.9 Yamaha High thrust and love it.

It also has the pull start rope for back up. Have never used it. I also hooked up a Pro Troll 2 digital throttle. I think moving your 2nd battery to the bow is the way to go.

you will be fine using a large duel purpose battery for both. a few more yrs down the road you'll be thankful you got electric start. if you run the trolling motor enough to run the battery down it still has the rope start. just make sure you get one that charges the battery. but most times the electric start will start a 15 hp motor. on the rare occasion you rope start you'll be glad the electric start is on the motor.

When I buy, it’ll be a reputable, in the USA marine shop (online out board, outboard direct, etc) not from Singapore.  From what I’ve heard, hooking up to one batteries is an option. That’s perfect. I’ll just hook into my existing battery and try that out. Worst case scenario ( battery drains too much from trolling use ) I’ll have pull start option. I won’t be trolling with 15hp...just my MinnKota. This is just my river float, local reservoir walleye troll boat. I don’t feel like running battery connection wires all the way to the bow and buying a 2nd battery. Double set up time, re-charging 2 each time, less space up front, another $100 min. on battery.  But with that being said, if I do think of adding a second battery...I was thinking of maybe somehow putting it under front bench. It would need to be cut either from underneath or up top on bench, then maybe a lid that swings open. 
Thanks for all the help on this topic guys!!!

ohhh, BTW...I like the dual battery idea best. I’ll definitely be looking into that option. Are the Walmart ones dual?  
I bought my Group 29 dual purpose battery from Advance Auto. If you buy online and pick up in store you save 20%. They also only have a $5 core charge when you buy online.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app