Rod holder/track system and planer reels???

I am setting up a new boat. What are some good options for rod holders and/or track systems that hold rod holders?

I would also like to put planner reels on each side. Looking for options for those as well.

Thanks

I should add this new boat is a 20' Duckworth Advantage Sport. 4 rods per side and 2 off the riggers. Maybe two more on the stern

Edited by Scalloper 1

Lots of choices out there! "Most" of the tracks are universal with other companies rod holders & components.

There are also some threads you can search for on here with info on this topic.

Cant go wrong with the Cisco or Traxstech products. 

Many also like Cannon adjustable dual axis holders as they are easy one handed operation, nice for setting diver rods. The pricing on these is also decent.

For planer reels the Cisco take a look at the Cisco's, pricey but very well made.

• Like 1

Depends on how much you want to spend, and what you plan on doing with the rod holders. Dipsys? How many dipsys per side? Planer boards? How many per side? If you mix and match your holders, you can save a lot of $$. For instance, the cannon track is cheapest, but their multi axis holders are not cheap. However, the lexan Bert's rod holders are a nice price, but you can't run dipsys outta them, while they will hold your planer rods nicely. I have run three per side of the lexan holders for my planer rods, and one per side of the Bert's ratcheting for my dipsys, all in 36" of cannon track and saved a lot of $$. Was it all color and finish matched? No. Did it fish really well, and save some $$? Yes. Just depends on what you want.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, guffins fisherman said:

Depends on how much you want to spend, and what you plan on doing with the rod holders. Dipsys? How many dipsys per side? Planer boards? How many per side? If you mix and match your holders, you can save a lot of $$. For instance, the cannon track is cheapest, but their multi axis holders are not cheap. However, the lexan Bert's rod holders are a nice price, but you can't run dipsys outta them, while they will hold your planer rods nicely. I have run three per side of the lexan holders for my planer rods, and one per side of the Bert's ratcheting for my dipsys, all in 36" of cannon track and saved a lot of $$. Was it all color and finish matched? No. Did it fish really well, and save some $$? Yes. Just depends on what you want.

Couldn't agree more!  I started with a lot of inexpensive and home made stuff and caught just as many fish.  The expensive systems ultimately make fishing easier, last far longer, and are attractive.  I'd try to get on a couple of different boats and see what fits your budget and your needs.  There is no universal best set up.  Many guys love vertical trees, me included, for boards and others swear by holders in track.  It's so hard to make an educated investment until you actually try different setups.  For me, I'm tall and want everything up and out of my way, so I went with a Great Lakes Planers system with a rocket launcher and reels.  For a track rod holders I like the Fat A.Z. holders tho I doubt you will find them on many boats outside of musky guys, but these are super rugged and can tip down with your rod in the water or point up all while keeping your rod secure.  Nothing quite as explosive as a musky strike in the prop wash at 4-5 mph with only a couple feet of line out and a tight drag!

• Like 1

I like to have my pulleys high up to keep the tow lines steeper. Helps release to slide down better & prevent tow line drag in the waves.

Also there is nice pair of cannon Dual axis rod holders in the classified section. Would make for good diver rod holders.

Edited by Rookie Fisherman
  • Like 1

Mine are 8 foot off the water... IMO the pulley needs to be in front of the rods couple feet to keep the rods out of the tow line and if the pulleys are farther forward of that it will work better but then you need a hook or rope to reach it. Not sure if you can see in pic what I mean but... again it's all about going getting it the way you want it for your application.  I've redone the layout of my boat several times and have things I'd still like different.  Just depends on how far you wanna go!

KIMG0087.JPG

7645.png

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, justtracytrolling said:

IMO the pulley needs to be in front of the rods couple feet to keep the rods out of the tow line and if the pulleys are farther forward of that it will work better but then you need a hook or rope to reach it.

Totally agree. We have our pulleys mounted far forward on the hardtop, we use a rope with a carabiner on the tow line and a clam cleat on the gunnel. This way you can pull the tow line to you and secure it quick in place. Same idea as retro ease.

• Like 1

I literally had this same convo with a captain that has forgotten more than I know. He said the same. Higher tow line is better. Put a cheap carabiner on tow line, pull it down to attach planer release and send it down and out. I have berts masts and they are TALL. I was going to cut them. He said no way, no how. Do the carabiner and you will be thankful. The further forward the masts are, the better too. Better angles to the boat, easier to retrieve and better vision.

• Like 1

I have a mast with two reels that i had in the bow of my smaller 16' boat. Being that far forward did work well. I will keep using that and just run a line to each planer line and pull the line back to hook the release into.

I will say if you are front steering with a trolling motor having the mast right in the bow it collapses the inside line more and if you are steering normally and have the masts back like mine the inside line does the same thing.  How the boards track during turns is definitely dependant on the position and height of the tow point on the boat.  Of course the location of the tow point on the board itself is a big factor as well.   Tweaking these things and getting boards to pull proudly takes a bit of effort trial and error.  Captain Rick from Yankee troller gave out some great advice on knot distances for otter boards a few years back that really helped me and got me paying attention to the other factors as well.  

• Like 1

If you like you can check out the Traxstech site and look at what we have to offer.  Once you look at it you could give me a call and we could put a price together for you or if you have Any questions you could call also.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/31/2020 at 6:12 PM, dry net said:

CISCO !

I bought 6 of the Cisco rod holders and lost one of the black end caps the first week I used them. I was not impressed. Other then that they are working fine.

End caps? Didn't know they were an option with Cisco. I must have bought the welfare version. Give them a call maybe they'll send you a new one for free. Wouldn't surprise me. Best of luck,   Matt

10 minutes ago, dry net said:

End caps? Didn't know they were an option with Cisco. I must have bought the welfare version. Give them a call maybe they'll send you a new one for free. Wouldn't surprise me. Best of luck,   Matt

I was mistaken the rod holders are not Ciscos they are Berts. 

On 3/31/2020 at 2:58 PM, dandyeyes said:

If you like you can check out the Traxstech site and look at what we have to offer.  Once you look at it you could give me a call and we could put a price together for you or if you have Any questions you could call also.

I bought the Traxstech and I am very pleased so far. They seem strong the finish is great and they work well.

IMO having only one mast in the center of the front of the boat causes the boat to be under the tow lines when you turn. On my brothers and my boat. we have a mast on each side. set as far forward as possible, but not too far keeps the tow line out of the rods on each side of the boat. I agree that the taller the masts  the better.

• Like 1

Scalloper (Or anyone that has Traxstech tracks) - Did you get tracks from Traxstech? On their website it says the track itself is 3.5” wide but I am curious on the width of the actual mounting holes. Anyone know how wide the mounting holes are? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app