Mercruiser steering

Broadhorizons

The boat I'm looking at has a Mercruiser I/O with the power assisted (run off the motor) steering. I'm told that without the main motor running the steering would act like a normal car without the motor on. Would the harder steering be too hard for an AP (probably would get Simrad rotary model) to steer the boat if I run a trolling motor with the tiebar for steering? Is there a conversion available to change the engine operated assist to electric operated assist without replacing the whole steering system? If I have to run the big motor to be able to use the AP or steer more comfortably while trolling, then it wouldn't make much sense to have a trolling motor. Thanks in advance for your help.

I installed the Simrad with Jax in his boat. All you have to replace is the steering cable. It is a really easy job. Make sure you get the correct length cable. With the motor off, it will steer like a car without power steering.

i may be way off base but i had a project boat that had power steering ( merc 260) the drive steered just fine without the motor running, i may be wrong but i believe the only time i makes a difference is when your underpower with the main engine.

ted