Boater safety

Fair reminder anyone born after January 1st 1993 is required to have a boater safety course as of January 1st 2020!

Anyone born after January 1st 1988 is required to have the course starting 2022!

January 1st 1983 and after by 2023

January 1st 1978 and after by 2024

EVERYONE is required by 2025!!!

Edited by suttontroller94
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Ray4852 said:

what about old people born after 1950. do they need the course too. old saying you can't teach an old crow new tricks.

Everyone will need one after 2025. Not going to lie. I think it's great. It's amazing how many people of ALL ages don't know the rules of the road on the water.

29 minutes ago, suttontroller94 said:

Everyone will need one after 2025. Not going to lie. I think it's great. It's amazing how many people of ALL ages don't know the rules of the road on the water.

I took the course online last year through boat USA and I was surprised how little the final test had to do with boat safety and the rules of the road.

I took a boater safety course years ago from the Coastgard. 5 years ago I took the test on line for personal water craft safety. 99 percent of all boating accidents are caused by people that have no common sense. alcohol and drug usage is our number one problem on the water. how are we going to control this problem when our elected officals want to bring pot to our state. I will be 73 by 2025. I never had an accident on the water with 60 years of boating experience. I don't think I will comply. probably sell boat and fishing gear. 

6 minutes ago, Ray4852 said:

I took a boater safety course years ago from the Coastgard. 5 years ago I took the test on line for personal water craft safety. 99 percent of all boating accidents are caused by people that have no common sense. alcohol and drug usage is our number one problem on the water. how are we going to control this problem when our elected officals want to bring pot to our state. I will be 73 by 2025. I never had an accident on the water with 60 years of boating experience. I don't think I will comply. probably sell boat and fishing gear. 

Not to get all political but I would much rather deal be on the same body of water or even road with someone who has taken a couple hits off a joint than someone who has drank a few beers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie P said:

I took the course online last year through boat USA and I was surprised how little the final test had to do with boat safety and the rules of the road.

That's a problem. However atleast it's. Covered a little during the course that's more than most people are ever taught

31 minutes ago, suttontroller94 said:

That's a problem. However atleast it's. Covered a little during the course that's more than most people are ever taught

My kids started driving the boat at a young age and were taught the rules as they were doing it. Same with hunting son and daughter could walked and took the hunters safety course without attending the class. Funny I had to take the course but some one can rent a boat without one.

One thing for sure you can't mandate common sense.

Now if they could just teach people to back up a trailer and not set they they boat up in the ramp.😃

Edited by Charlie P
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Charlie P said:

My kids started driving the boat at a young age and were taught the rules as they were doing it. Same with hunting son and daughter could walked and took the hunters safety course without attending the class. Funny I had to take the course but some one can rent a boat without one.

One thing for sure you can't mandate common sense.

Now if they could just teach people to back up a trailer and not set they they boat up in the ramp.😃

I agree with all that. I was taught the same way. My issue is the people who come to the finger lakes from the city and elsewhere who hardly ever operate a boat but maybe once or twice a year

• Like 1

At 76 I have been running boats over 60 years and I even had a Coast Guard Captains licence. I think its foolish to have to take another test but I will probably do it this year to get it out of the way. Also, I am supposed have it when I go to NJ but have been ignoring it so might as well. My guess is a lot of Captains are going to resent having to take it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 minutes ago, Rickbgm said:

At 76 I have been running boats over 60 years and I even had a Coast Guard Captains licence. I think its foolish to have to take another test but I will probably do it this year to get it out of the way. Also, I am supposed have it when I go to NJ but have been ignoring it so might as well. My guess is a lot of Captains are going to resent having to take it.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

O I agree it's foolish for a captain to take it. I'd imagine merchant Mariner would probably qualify for boaters safety. That's something to look into but you'd think

Edited by suttontroller94

I took the Boat USA course a few years ago. I really enjoyed all the learning and reading. Specially all the flags that different types of boats are required to fly and the right of way rules. It was great medicine for cabin fever.

As for the course not helping stupid people who drink and do drugs while boating, at least they can't plead ignorance anymore.

I'll dig out my online diploma and put it in my cabin window.

Oh , for all those people who think that this is just another way for "The Emperor" to get your hard earned money, the course is free through Boat USA

https://www.boatus.org/newyork/

Edited by rolmops

I think all new boaters should take a boater safety course. we have to take a test to get a driver license. any body with 30 years or more operating a motor boat have enough experience to get by. a little more training won't hurt.  I hate to say this. I see a lot of dumb older boaters on the lake today. if a man has no common sense. what good will the course do for him. a lot of these people are very book smart but have no street smarts. I love to watch these idiots out on a weekend bouncing with a personal water craft. its even worse on Seneca on a weekend when I see speed boats running up the lake at 70 mph with sound decibels that brake the law. I'm sure these people took a boater safety course too. when boaters get on the lake. they play by their rules. they care less what the book says. I think what we need more  have a tent set up at the marina with a few police officers watching these boaters get out of a boat. if they see something wrong bring him over to the tent and ask them to take  a pea test and alcohol test. its no different driving a motor vehicle. if you get caught you pay the penalty. 

On a side note.

Enforcement of the water rules used to be the exception rather than the rule. These days, with all the drones, a lot of violations will be on camera and on record. I could think of some people not only having to pay fines, but also of having their boat impounded.

Edited by rolmops