Between more boat traffic, distinctly clearer water, the variables of wind direction and perhaps just the passage of time, the Bear Creek to the Plant fishery was not as on fire as it was for the past 3 weeks for me anyway. I used the same approaches as past trips and certainly caught a nice mess of fish but not in the epic numbers I had been experiencing. Best sticks were again Bayrat Goby and Smithwick Orange rattling rogue. Base on a tip from 'Reel Doc' who was also out there, I deployed a 1/2 oz snap weight setup pulling a copper confusion stinger that took several fish- note: nothing on the shallow rigger w/ Jon's goby that had been good last week. Boat control going into a strengthening SE wind made things difficult and I packed it in early.

1 hour ago, chowder said:

Between more boat traffic, distinctly clearer water, the variables of wind direction and perhaps just the passage of time, the Bear Creek to the Plant fishery was not as on fire as it was for the past 3 weeks for me anyway. I used the same approaches as past trips and certainly caught a nice mess of fish but not in the epic numbers I had been experiencing. Best sticks were again Bayrat Goby and Smithwick Orange rattling rogue. Base on a tip from 'Reel Doc' who was also out there, I deployed a 1/2 oz snap weight setup pulling a copper confusion stinger that took several fish- note: nothing on the shallow rigger w/ Jon's goby that had been good last week. Boat control going into a strengthening SE wind made things difficult and I packed it in early.

Yesterday I learned the key to successful fishing on Lake Ontario.....never let Andy's boat get more than 100 yards away!!  Note his rig in the background of the first photo!!   Even catching just the fish that missed his setup I boxed out several times over and nearly all caught were0328200910a.thumb.jpg.fc2d1d242c123f7dacd0087f1b04967a.jpg solid fish!!  This early on in my Lake Ontario learning curve I'm ecstatic with these reults!!

0328200840.jpg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

Not my best material. 

Actually, there is some legit confusion surrounding this spoon. The one in Doc's pic is a Stinger scorpion called "UV Confusion" and the spoon I was using is called "Copper Confusion"

5 hours ago, chowder said:

Actually, there is some legit confusion surrounding this spoon. The one in Doc's pic is a Stinger scorpion called "UV Confusion" and the spoon I was using is called "Copper Confusion"

Must be thats why mine caught the bigger fish....  Its all about Dem Dar UV rays......:wink:

47 minutes ago, Reel Doc said:

Must be thats why mine caught the bigger fish....  Its all about Dem Dar UV rays......:wink:

A review of the taxonomy of this spoon seems to be required: 1st Doc's spoon, a scorpion size, is either called  mass confusion, or uv confusion depending on who you get it from. Now Bayrat also makes a very similar spoon , called copper confusion in both 2.5" and 3.5". I was using the 3.5" and it's my sense Doc did better with the smaller scorpion size but of course his was on a 2 color core and mine was on a snap weight flat line so....Oh, if you are not confused enough I will point out that Michigan Stinger also sells a confusion and a mass confusion spoon in the Regular size, but they are not copper , the difference being the color of the spots and one is smooth , the other hammered. Got it all or are you confused?

Edited by chowder
added

34 minutes ago, chowder said:

A review of the taxonomy of this spoon seems to be required: 1st Doc's spoon, a scorpion size, is either called  mass confusion, or uv confusion depending on who you get it from. Now Bayrat also makes a very similar spoon , called copper confusion in both 2.5" and 3.5". I was using the 3.5" and it's my sense Doc did better with the smaller scorpion size but of course his was on a 2 color core and mine was on a snap weight flat line so....Oh, if you are not confused enough I will point out that Michigan Stinger also sells a confusion and a mass confusion spoon in the Regular size, but they are not copper , the difference being the color of the spots and one is smooth , the other hammered. Got it all or are you confused?

To further muddy the waters, I forgot the name of the spoon but found this new unopened Scorpion in my box.  I was actually using a Standard spoon so yes, the fish in the photo has a standard length spoon not a little Scorpion stuck in his mouth0328200915.thumb.jpg.29da9cc3e0967a0c0ec71276d3124d16.jpg

38 minutes ago, Brad Hoffee said:

Back to the dog. Would love to be able to take one of my Golden’s out but they are adults and I’m sure they would try swimming to Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I started taking my adult aussie out 2 years ago, lot of times she's lies down in an out of the way place and sleeps. Sometimes, especially if there is a 'stranger' to her she doesn't want to go, I just play it by ear. She loves to swim and often does so prior to and after a trip but the high sides on my boat seem to keep her from thinking about going in out on the water- I would think that would be true for most dogs

We take ours to the lake often and have to hold them tight to keep them from jumping out of truck and racing to the water. Once in it is difficult to get them out. In-laws live on the lake shore and years ago I tried to leave my Golden behind. Was headed north in 100’ of water when I had to turn back and pick her up.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you note in both photos, my gal is on a leash.  Training her young about the boundaries so later on, perhaps even this summer, she can be loose in the boat.  Don't want any negative experiences with the water, fish, or hooks while she is still young.

If your dog is older and  a hardcore swimmer it may take some time and patience to train it to stay in the boat.  Definitely start with a short leash and short trips....even non-fishing trips so can focus on the dog.

I have yet to take my pups on the big lake but take them to my local lake on a regular basis. My Rottwieler (Hachimo) has a habit of puttin his paws on the gunnel and lookin over the sides. I worry about him on Lake Ontario if it got rough goin over the side. Also durrin the caos of doubles,tripples i worry about them gettin hooked. 

62DE2068-5AFF-4ACE-B88F-DC4BD5039E88.jpeg

0BD8F619-37F8-4979-9E6C-4BE7C7D9B2AF.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hachimo said:

A little off topic, sorry but pretty funny, My German Shepherd has a fish fetish so when im up the cabin and get back i open the cooler and set it on the ground and she brings them in for me.  

LOL!,,  that’s very cute an could be helpful emptying out ur cooler.

Thanks for sharing