so I went out tonight for some bay fishing. Started out casting and drifting for about a half hour with no results. So I changed a jig and started trolling and ended up with this guy. He was 21.5 and close to 7lbs on a scale...Once again my little Doc Demon pole held fine....I gotta go get another one of these poles there perfect for a kayak...Gonna try it again in the am..
014.thumb.JPG.16acdc83715e0f0e38ff7087bd514f8a.JPG
020.thumb.JPG.82344369ce5dd10ed5a6c06a37a4b560.JPG
Congratulations nice catch!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• 8 months later...

Kayak shakedown today, fished from 11 to 1215. I got a new st croix 8.6ft with a pflueger spoiled up with 8 lb power pro to 8lb floro tipped with a Esmeralda Bay rat. Went two for two on browns. Some good colored water but the wind was too much to keep a good line. Lake water is 3 foot lower than last year. Trolling guys watch out for the rocks IMG_20210312_124225.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

Nice fish! How did you like landing them with 8’6” rod? I use the same length but cut the handles down to make them more maneuverable when netting fish. Would love to use my noodle rods but the handles are still too long to manage in tight quarters

Thanks!! It was kind of a pain but thank god I have very long arms. I was just able to grab the line . Now the hit and fight was awesome on it tho . Forgot the net again had to swing them in. Forgot to say but was out of Braddock's

Sshhh about the esmeralda bay rat. Your giving my secret bay rat pattern away. [emoji1787][emoji1787] Great job on the short shakedown!

Kayak shakedown today, fished from 11 to 1215. I got a new st croix 8.6ft with a pflueger spoiled up with 8 lb power pro to 8lb floro tipped with a Esmeralda Bay rat. Went two for two on browns. Some good colored water but the wind was too much to keep a good line. Lake water is 3 foot lower than last year. Trolling guys watch out for the rocks IMG_20210312_124225.thumb.jpeg.be9ea37050056535a34865eda7ea7037.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Private got permission from homeowner. Knock on a door and some beer works most of the time. Most of the shoreline is the same for the most part. I drive till I see the water I want to fish or to get away from the waves/wind.

I also used to run 2 rods with 80’ leads but after the first hook up my approach changed....my yak uses paddles, no pedals
I have to paddle.... [emoji19]. When I hook up with a fish I reel in my other rod and hope the fish stays pinned. To much can happen if you don't.

I also keep a extra paddle in my kayak. You never know when your paddle is off the leash or the wind takes it off the kayak , might need a back up.

• 2 weeks later...

Bite was hot this morning out front of braddocks Fished 930 till 11. Found a patch of water that looked good and it was. Went 4 for 6 , couple other short hits that never came back. All on bayrats , Goby took all but 1. IMG_20210331_091704.jpegIMG_20210331_093753.jpegIMG_20210331_093927.jpegIMG_20210331_094650.jpegIMG_20210331_093938.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice fish, great fun out of the kayak, is the channel deep enough for a 17 ft boat to get out, K

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not sure I launched off of the lakeshore. I didn't see any other boats out there and it was nice and calm out for the most part.

longspurs:  where did you launch at Braddock?  Did you go out thru the channel?  If so could you tell the depth thru the channel?  I had heard that they were dredging the channel.  Was the dredge still there or is it done?  Just wondered because I have a 21 ft Crestliner that I would like to take out but still concerned about the low water level/depth of water in the channel, Any info would be appreciated.  Thank you! - Mr Kato

longspurs:  where did you launch at Braddock?  Did you go out thru the channel?  If so could you tell the depth thru the channel?  I had heard that they were dredging the channel.  Was the dredge still there or is it done?  Just wondered because I have a 21 ft Crestliner that I would like to take out but still concerned about the low water level/depth of water in the channel, Any info would be appreciated.  Thank you! - Mr Kato
I launched from a house on the lake but , the guys were still out dredging the day I was out. If it was good I would have seen a boat . River is the best launch for now. Just have to pick east or west then [emoji2].

I got out mid-morning 1030ish to 12. The light north breeze was good enough to get out. Only problem I had was no colored water. So with the water being so clear I ran a good lead ( that would be a good cast 5 paddles then click the bail over ) . Went 1 for 1, Goby bayrat . Almost had another. when I was reeling in about to pull the lure out of the water and there was a nice brown right under the surface behind it....... Lol .

1 boat came out as I went in . 16ft or so . He went through the channel and around the dredge ok.

IMG_20210405_110514.jpegIMG_20210405_110643.jpeg

• Like 2

Longspurs, do you use a dry suit?  The only thing that kept me off the water today is the cold water temps.  I have a Nucanoe Pursuit.  Its a very stable boat.  I don't really expect to swim, but the possibility and lack of a dry suit keeps me out until the waters warm.

Just jeans and a hoodie most of the time !! Wetsuits only for diving and I don't plan on that [emoji23] .
Can't believe I don't see more people out there in kayak's. Maybe 1 at I bay if I see anyone.
I'm about done for the kayak trolling, good old work is getting in the way [emoji19].