What kind of boat does everyone paddle? My wife and I had our kayaks out last night for the first time this year, and mine is a Wilderness Systems Pungo. Big open cockpit, stable, tracks well...but not a "fishing" kayak. I do okay from it though lol. 

I'm always looking for a better mousetrap, though.

Bonifide fishing kayak. The tracks are great for accessories. It paddles fine and I can stand up and cast. I really love the Anchor Wizard. It makes stopping to cast so easy.

Only have one pic and I think I posted before, but...

IMG_2498.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

I use this for bass fishing. Really nice to be able to move a good fish away from trouble like a dock or tree limbs using the pedals. When I can't use the pedals because of weeds I find it's a pain to hold the paddle in one hand and the rod in the other.

Maiden voyage tomorrow if the rain holds off. Started kayak fishing 3 years ago. Love it. Upgraded to this Nucanoe Pursuit. Not sure which trib mouth I’m dropping her into tomorrow. Staying in the trib. Looks a bit breezy to give the lake a try.

IMG_2388.JPG

My Hobie Outback.   Generally troll for trout / salmonids.   

Been trying for Perch on Canandaigua lake the past week, but they haven't been too cooperative...

59c7e37809400_20170918_0732081.thumb.jpg.0ad1b2b703fa1724f70a28162b19283a.jpg

20200523_124653.thumb.jpg.4d958cd4da3aa3f4a856706bb6b89679.jpg

Also have an old town camden 120 kayak that I used before upgrading to the Hobie.  I've jigged up a lot of lake trout from this thing; the pic is from a few years ago when Keuka was flooded. 

post-151005-14288428045857_thumb.jpg

Edited by JJBat150
  • Like 1

Nice rigs! Every time I start to think about upgrading to a pedal drive or a larger boat, I remind myself why I love my kayak: it takes five seconds to load it into the back of the truck, and I can carry it in one hand just about anywhere. I agree that it can be a PITA in other ways...big fish in the weeds, yep, been there...but with a Lund in the driveway and Nothing but Net docked at Tommy's, what I'm really looing for is the ease of use and the laid back experience. And yet I can't help thinking how nice it would be to upgrade...

For me fishing out of a kayak is the difference between a fly rod and a casting rod or a bow and a rifle.  It simplifies the sport and puts you closer to the water and the fish you’re hunting. Some days the simplification is more attractive than the hassles of taking the boat out and waiting in line at the launch or a fighting with a finicky motor.

On 4/9/2021 at 11:05 AM, greenhornet73 said:

For me fishing out of a kayak is the difference between a fly rod and a casting rod or a bow and a rifle.  It simplifies the sport and puts you closer to the water and the fish you’re hunting. Some days the simplification is more attractive than the hassles of taking the boat out and waiting in line at the launch or a fighting with a finicky motor.

Kayaking definitely forces a level of simplicity due to space.  That's not a bad thing.  It does limit where and when you can go to some extent.  Again, not a bad thing.  You find alternatives to appreciate.

I went the kayak route because I don't have storage room for a boat and I didn't want the maintenance that comes with a motor.  I really appreciate the opportunities I've gotten to fish the big waters with freinds with boats, but I've also enjoyed the heck out of exploring some of our smaller lakes and waterways.  And because I'm mostly fishing less pressured areas the fishing itself can often be more peaceful too.

About the only drawback I've experienced besides limits on where/when I can fish is the lack of respect I sometimes get at the boat ramp.  I trailer my yak and use the launch just like the big boys.  I treat it just like I'm launching a full sized boat.  Stage and prep, then get in line to launch.  Launch, get parked and hustle out of the way.  But I find I'm often invisible to them and they sometimes push in when I am clearly launching/loading.  Fortunately that is a minority though.

Used to go back on the ocean when I lived in Boston, so ended up with yaks that are well suited to ontario and other big water. That being said, I haven't caught squat this spring with them yet. Love trolling with them but haven't really spent enough time jigging for bass and the like out of them. Upside: Easy paddling/pedaling, super stable, good exercise, can get in skinny water, never break down. Downside: Heavier than hell to load, 

Jackson Cuda 14 (paddle)

Native Slayer Propel 13 (pedal)

20210323_153635.jpg

On 4/10/2021 at 11:45 AM, weave said:

Kayaking definitely forces a level of simplicity due to space.  That's not a bad thing.  It does limit where and when you can go to some extent.  Again, not a bad thing.  You find alternatives to appreciate.

I went the kayak route because I don't have storage room for a boat and I didn't want the maintenance that comes with a motor.  I really appreciate the opportunities I've gotten to fish the big waters with freinds with boats, but I've also enjoyed the heck out of exploring some of our smaller lakes and waterways.  And because I'm mostly fishing less pressured areas the fishing itself can often be more peaceful too.

About the only drawback I've experienced besides limits on where/when I can fish is the lack of respect I sometimes get at the boat ramp.  I trailer my yak and use the launch just like the big boys.  I treat it just like I'm launching a full sized boat.  Stage and prep, then get in line to launch.  Launch, get parked and hustle out of the way.  But I find I'm often invisible to them and they sometimes push in when I am clearly launching/loading.  Fortunately that is a minority though.

Part of the simplicity for me is the lack of a trailer. I simply don't want to deal with googans at the ramp. My kayak fits in the bed of my truck, without even needing an extender. Two ratchet cords to hold it in place and I'm on my merry way, in less than two minutes from hitting shore. No ramp? No problem. And if I want to leave from work, I just sling the boat on top of my truck - it's almost as easy. Of course, my yak only weighs 50 odd pounds plus gear. I can one hand it from truck to water most days.

Okay, thinking about how much I love my boat gave me the itch. I'm headed out for an evening paddle. 

Went out of Irondequoit Bay this morning. Fished all the way to Webster Park and back with no success. Covered 6’out to 30’ flatlining stick baits and pulling spoons on a leadcore rig... went back into the bay and found 50 degree water all over. Caught a nice brown on a J-9 firetiger rapala
Old Town Sporstman Pdl kayak
IMG_0895.JPGIMG_0897.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Nice fish!  Hoping to get my sea ghost up to Lake Ontario soon for spring browns.  I ordered a bixpy jet electric trolling motor a month or so ago and waiting on the rudder adapter.  I figured for the price of pedal Hobie, I could just upgrade mine to electric one instead.  Supposed to get up to 10 hours at trolling speed.  We'll see.

Only downside is the best launch for me is Scriba, but I'm not a resident.