The cost of fishing....

jeb1340

With all of the proposed new taxes and proposed license increase I decided to try and figure out how much money we pay a year in taxes and fees just to go fishing. I did about 20 minutes worth of research and found out some interesting and disturbing information.

1. Cost to register my 19' boat = $36 + 10 surcharge =$46

2. Cost to register the trailer = $22.50

3. Tax on 100 gallons of gas,in Jan of 2009 $0.579 per gallon = $59.70

4. Tax on $1000 of fishing equipment $0.1825 per $1.00 = $182.50

5. SuperSportsmen License = $68

Total = $378.60

I'm sure that there are a few taxes that I didn't consider (like the tax on beer), but I was shocked to see how high the actual number was. I would hate to see how much some of the charter captains pay a year.

On a positive note, my wife asked "If I was trapped doing the same thing everyday for the rest of my life what would it be?" My reply "That's easy, FISH". Hopefully she starts talking to me again soon.

I'm guessing he is using the state tax rate and the rate from either Pittman-Robertson act or Dingell-Johnson act (which have about 10% tax on hunting and fishing gear to go to state agencies for conservation). The 10% is put on by the manufacturer of the gear.

My golf costs are club membership, $3100, clubs, shoe, clothes and balls, $500 annually, gas to and from the club and other courses,$600, and other miscellaneous, $300. That is why I have to fishing more often, the golf is getting into my fishing money.

Western NY, the sales tax is 8.25% and then the 10 % that all fishing equipment is taxed. While doing the research for this I also found out that every arrow purchased in the US is taxed $0.43 along with the other taxes. I'm not saying that taxes are a terrible thing, they do fund numerous activities that I enjoy, but I do like to try and stay informed about where my money is going (not that we REALLY ever know!).

It's a nationwide tax act that hunting and fishing gear helps pay for conservation. Another way hunters and fisherpeople pay, I don't think it's bad but the government should quit screwing us over.

http://www.nraila.org/issues/factsheets/read.aspx?id=124

There is the dingell-johnson act for fishing equipment which is similar to pittman robertson act.

http://www.fws.gov/laws/lawsdigest/FASPORT.HTML

It's a nationwide tax act that hunting and fishing gear helps pay for conservation. Another way hunters and fisherpeople pay, I don't think it's bad but the government should quit screwing us over.

The gov't should find a way to tax the bird watchers from NYC...maybe thier cameras, spotting scopes, tipods, hiking boots, mosquito nets, ....anything that bears Cabelas, Bass pro, LL bean, etc :lol::clap: even 1% on that stuff would go good for the wildlife fund..IF THEY USE IT FOR THAT :$