GPS and trolling motor

I'm looking to get a new GPS and trolling motor package to allow me to more or less auto pilot while tending lines. I have a 17.5 ft aluminum that I routinely take out to 250ft. I dont know much about reliable brands or good set ups so I'm looking for some expert help. Am I wasting my time  and money?

Thanks

Dave

Whichever set you use it will be money well spent.

I have minnkota with humminbird ff helix model.

I can control the trolling motor thru the ff if I want (I dont ) but use the remote control.

Setting auto pilot on cruise control which your talking about can be done with just a trolling motor with built in gps .

The other great feature gps model trolling motors have is the spot lock feature.

Hope I helped.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Thanks 1

Trolling motor has it's own gps .
Fishfinder has its own.

They can work separately or you can link them together if you get the "link" models.

Which enables you to work trolling motor thru ff if you choose. For examples . With the together setup you can go to waypoints ,and follow contours if you choose to.

For example if all you had was trolling motor like a terrova or elterra (there are others). Typically guys use the thrust of the gas big motor to push you and the auto pilot feature and cruise control on the trolling motor to steer so your hands free like your referring to which is exactly what I do.

GPS in trolling motor tells trolling motor where its headed or in position etc.

GPS unit by itself or built in to fish finder shows your boat location and depth contours etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks again. I have the FF I like, but I don't think its capable .of pairing with a trolling motor, which I'm ok with. I'm not so interested in contour, just a constant course. I can use the trolling motor wireless controller to adjust direction. 

On 4/4/2020 at 1:56 PM, dhhurlburt said:

I'm looking to get a new GPS and trolling motor package to allow me to more or less auto pilot while tending lines. I have a 17.5 ft aluminum that I routinely take out to 250ft. I dont know much about reliable brands or good set ups so I'm looking for some expert help. Am I wasting my time  and money?

Thanks

Dave

Call me at Krenzer Marine and we can discuss. I know Minn Kota and Humminbird well. Those two work very well with each other.

• Thanks 1

On 4/4/2020 at 4:46 PM, dhhurlburt said:

Thanks again. I have the FF I like, but I don't think its capable .of pairing with a trolling motor, which I'm ok with. I'm not so interested in contour, just a constant course. I can use the trolling motor wireless controller to adjust direction. 

Pairing with your FF isn't 100% necessary to do what you want to do. I would look into a Minnkota Terrova with iPilot, preferably a 24v with a 60" shaft. Those are minimum requirements for a 18ft boat but you can go bigger/better if you want to spend the money (Ulterra 36v/72"). Talk to Yankee he will get you setup right.

• Thanks 1