Is water coming from here normal? NOPE-I'm screwed!

garrymny

Started the motor today. Water is coming out of the cowling area on the left side. Nothing in the engine compartment. See picture. You can see water dripping from the plastic cover above the steering link straps left side.

IMG_20200404_162758343_HDR.jpeg

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was always told not to run garden hose water on full when using the muffs. I use about 1/2 or less pressure. You can force water into areas of motor under pressure...i am not saying you damaged the motor...try using lower pressure and see if it stops.  

I'm screwed. Water shooting out from the gasket between power head and lower skeg assembly. See pictures. I forgot to lower motor in the fall, discovered I had left it tilted up in towing position halfway through winter. Motor starts right up and seems to idle like it always did though. Maybe it's just a gasket? My season is now over. Rebuilt transom last year now this. I have no idea how to separate power head from skeg. 175 HP EVINRUDE 1993. This Motor ran flawlessly. I am disgusted with myself. IMG_20200405_111812276.jpegIMG_20200405_112019699_HDR.jpeg

Motor diagram IMG_3752.JPG

Edited by garrymny

Gary, contact Roys Boys on here. He may be able to give you a sense of what your looking at. He’s an evinrude guy. I don’t think it’s a big deal personally. Always a bigger issue if your cracking open that block. This I don’t think so. But I’m being optimistic. Good thing is you found it now and not when your running down the lake wide open with a loud boom after the fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes sir, times a wasting! Glad I bought the seloc maintenance manual. Very helpful. Hopefully the Covid won't delay shipment of the gasket.

Damn, way to go after it, hell I was going to send a you tube video I found on the subject and you have the power head off already. Nice.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United