Best Open Water Perch Baits

idn713

What baits are preferred for the open water perch? Obviously minnows are king but bait is hard to come by these days with the obvious social situation. I have tons of spikes left from trout fishing, would those work? Worms? Any artificials that are worth trying (gulp)? I typically run a double dropper rig for my open water efforts. 

Thanks!

I fish a lot with Sliders, my favorite is pumpkinseed pepper flake, motor oil also produces. I don't know why spikes wouldn't work, we were catching perch on worms and minnows under slip bobbers. Sometimes I will have a 1/8th ounce jig  on the bottom and a tiny jig or even a fly on a dropper 4 or 5 inches above the jig. Hope this helps

• Like 1

Spikes (sometimes even preferred over minnows) and sliders work fine for perch and the one thing to remember is to keep the hook point slightly covered (i.e. hidden).Oak leaf bugs  are often best if you can find them.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

For the life of me, I can not catch Erie perch on plastics. They just prefer Niagaras.  I have caught them on buckshot spoons and stingnose minnows.  But, Erie fishing is anywhere from 50-70’ deep fishing.  Everywhere else I fish, plastics rule.  

If in shallower take a hot and tot remove the back hook and tie on a 2 foot piece of line with a jig and twister tail troll this slowly and it can be deadly for crappie and perch will target bigger fish and cover more water and the occasional bonus large fish on the plug. The plug acts as both a diver and an attractor

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1