Southern shore wind help

My 8 yo boy and I are chomping at the bit to try some lake o trolling for browns very soon. Boat is out of storage and just about ready to go. I've fished a good amount in the bays on eastern lake o where theres protection from the main lake. I'm a little nervous about going out on the main lake for the first time or driving up and not being able to go. Hoping to make it a good first experience for him and I. Do you guys have any wind recommendations or suggestions on what to look for with the weather? I have a 17 ft starcraft with 90 hp motor. The launches I would most likely use are Hughes and Sodus. Was even thinking of going tomorrow morning. Any help is appreciated. 

My 8 yo boy and I are chomping at the bit to try some lake o trolling for browns very soon. Boat is out of storage and just about ready to go. I've fished a good amount in the bays on eastern lake o where theres protection from the main lake. I'm a little nervous about going out on the main lake for the first time or driving up and not being able to go. Hoping to make it a good first experience for him and I. Do you guys have any wind recommendations or suggestions on what to look for with the weather? I have a 17 ft starcraft with 90 hp motor. The launches I would most likely use are Hughes and Sodus. Was even thinking of going tomorrow morning. Any help is appreciated. 

Any wave prediction is usually off by at least a foot. NOAA , etc. if it says 1-3. Figure 2-4. The only sure way is look when you get there. What you see is what you get. I’ve gotten to the launch too many times only to find its way too rough to go out. The chance you take. Be respectful of Lake O. It can get mean quickly. Watch the weather and have a vhf radio on board. Always. This is what it can be IMG_1013.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I fish out of same size boat, anything over 10 mph can be uncomfortable unless it's a south wind and your fishing skinny water. Did shake down run this weekend, friday lake was to ruff so played in the oak, sat winds allowed for us to get on the lake and the boys loved it! 20200404_144717.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

You would be surprised how many days you can get out in a smaller boat. I fished out of a 17.5 ft aluminum boat for the last 5 years. Since I upgraded to a 24ft glass boat, I basically still only fish in the same weather I would have fished in my aluminum boat. Sure this new boat could handle more but miserable conditions take the fun out of it real quick. I would say even in my smaller boat I was able to fish 75% of the weekends I wanted to, sometimes I'd have to go Sun instead of the Sat that I wanted to or vice versa but I still got out. Watch the weather and be careful out there.  

• Like 1

This time of year when the land warms up and the lake is cold the N E wind typically picks up before lunch and mid afternoon it can get sporty regardless of what major weather predictions suggest.

I swear last Sunday the lake went from flat to 2’ in 1/2hr with an increasing west 15mph.

10mph or less is my first rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

On 4/7/2020 at 7:54 AM, bettieanne said:

I fish out of same size boat, anything over 10 mph can be uncomfortable unless it's a south wind and your fishing skinny water. Did shake down run this weekend, friday lake was to ruff so played in the oak, sat winds allowed for us to get on the lake and the boys loved it! 20200404_144717.jpeg

Sent from my SM-J327V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Cheeze-its! Ya just have to have em for good luck!

Light and variable are my 2 favorite words. Any forecasts with E or NE wind I'd go golfing. :grin:

Somebody here on the LOU couple years ago recommended the app"Windalert" for wind forecasts. It's free. We've had good luck using it

Edited by UNREEL

I got a 16' boat and follow many of the other guidelines mentioned above. 10 mph is about my limit and anything over that just beats me and the boat up a bit too much. I use Windfinder to gauge the winds and it does a pretty good job. The wave forecasts on that site are way off, but it seems pretty accurate with the wind speeds.