Keuka Lake - Cisco ??

4 hours ago, superhawk18 said:

You would think after 100,000 of them going in, you would see something.

100,000 is nothing.  With the lack of food and number of lakers in that lake, they more than likely did not survive a month!

I know some folks disparage the lakers as cuisine but the smaller ones when prepared and cooked properly are good. With that said it is hard to beat Walleyes and Perch though:lol:

Wow, didn't know that they had put ciscoes in there.  I have seen the pink buoys this spring and wondered what they are.   I'd think that cisco are probably native to the lake, so hopefully they take hold and make a nice forage base for the lakers.  

• 4 weeks later...

We see green buoys at the bluff and have not see anything in the bellies yet. The fish seem health and in nice shape but I feel there are to many of them in the lake.  24 inches is our biggest in a while.  They do bite a lot and we get a lot of bumpies but never fail to get a limit usually.  Have not see any sign if bait fish on the depth finder or on the surface.....jk

For the size of the lakers in that lake, you will probably need younger year classes of Cisco born to feed those fish. The effect will not be seen for years

14 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

For the size of the lakers in that lake, you will probably need younger year classes of Cisco born to feed those fish. The effect will not be seen for years

No idea why, but for what it's worth, I've seen some reasonably nice lakers at Keuka this year and last.  It's been a long time since I've targeted them there, but I occasionally chat with guys coming off the lake and have seen a much nicer average size and health from the fish.  I can't imagine that's from a still young cisco reintroduction project, but just food for thought.

36 minutes ago, superhawk18 said:

Yes, they perch got hammered last year as well.

The perch population should be ok.  When alewife populations fall, perch populations rise.  The lakers may be eating small perch but without perch fry predation by adult prespawn alewife, perch numbers should be ok.  

• Like 1