Golf Courses, Boat Launches, Marinas now non-essential(CLOSED!!) as of 4/9/20

Reported by Buffalo Business First, see below.

On some business categories, there has been sparring back and forth so we can only hope this gets backed off. 

By Paul Lane  – Data Reporter, Buffalo Business First
Apr 9, 2020, 10:58am EDT Updated 32 minutes ago

Revised orders from the governor's office Thursday morning have temporarily taken away one of the few quarantine respites for Western New Yorkers.

Under the revised executive order from Gov. Andrew Cuomo, golf courses as of Thursday are now considered nonessential businesses. Previous orders did not distinguish whether they were, so numerous courses had taken advantage of the unseasonable warmth to open while adhering to social distancing protocol.

Wanakah Country Club in Hamburg was among them. General Manager Mike Karnath sent a note to members Thursday letting them know the course would now be closed until further notice.

Thursday's notice was the "first we saw of anything directly related to golf courses," he told Business First.

Boat launches and marinas were also deemed nonessential under this order, while parks and public spaces excluding playgrounds remain essential. Violations of this order are subject to fines of up to $10,000.

Cuomo has said this order closing nonessential business will remain in effect through at least April 29. That date is subject to review based upon health guidance as the state's response to the coronavirus pandemic continues.

Edited by MCF

I would argue that this is targeting the business aspect of marinas and launches, not the use of launches.

I will bet this also means free golf at public courses, not that people can't golf.  But I guess we need clarification from law enforcement.  Let's keep fingers crossed.

Edited by RWR1775

1 hour ago, RWR1775 said:

I would argue that this is targeting the business aspect of marinas and launches, not the use of launches.

I will bet this also means free golf at public courses, not that people can't golf.  But I guess we need clarification from law enforcement.  Let's keep fingers crossed.

I read through the entire press release. Boat launches and marinas have been to be determined non essential unless supporting law enforcement. usage is subject to a fine of up to 10,000.

If I am reading this correctly, then the usage of any launch is being prohibited. At first I read it from a private business sense, like most of the other designations, but there does not seem to be any distinction pointed out. Hope some clarity can be put out there.

Don’t believe they can prevent me from putting my Gheenoe in the water along the shore without a launch. Strap on my 6 hp or paddle and I should be good. Not nearly as comfortable but....
The times I’ve launch the past month I haven’t ever been close to another person and fishsolo or with my wife.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

2 hours ago, Kevin J Legg said:

Wonder if nonessential business may not apply to all launches if they do not charge a fee.

I think you're on to something..... I see this about the launches where there is an attendant to take $$.... not the launches where there are no attendants. 

I'll see who's enforcing such BS.
I'll check with local authorities, if they are chaining off entry, (which would be a big hazard if emergency services were needed for a water rescue. ) that would be their only way of enforcement.
The launches without an attendant should be open.. can't get much farther from people then out on a lake.

The only way we can challenge this is to check its legality. It's America folks. Walmart n Lowes are open. Telling me I can't catch fish for my family n friends. I'll be the first to take this ticket to a judge.

I think you're on to something..... I see this about the launches where there is an attendant to take $$.... not the launches where there are no attendants. 

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

There needs to be clarification on this. People use their boats even when Marina's are closed. I didn't see anything saying that you can't fish. It only says that launches and marina's are closed. So my big question is if my boat is at a dock can I still have access to my boat and leave from the dock !???!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The issue is that with a declared state of emergency, executive orders trump legal rights (pun intended). Here's the link: https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/laws/EXC/24

I'd be surprised if local enforcement targets lone fishermen in a boat, but it isn't beyond belief, particularly if you need to retrieve your vessel using a public launch. I'm guessing that most folks will decide to stay home; I will use my canoe and/or kayak to get out on the open water. If you are a lake shore property owner with a boat in the water, I'm not sure what they could do. Regardless, the whole thing is absurd, at least as applies to Western New York.

Cuomo himself said it best: risk, reward. There's virtually no risk to boaters, mostly fishermen, in local waters this time of year of catching COVID, or passing it on. The rewards on the other hand are immeasurable, particular in this time of crisis with stress levels out of control.

I suspect that this order has more to do with marinas beginning to open downstate. Truly a farce, and a loss for those of us who play by the rules.

• Like 1

I have confirmation that the Conesus Lake State Park boat launches are being blocked with concrete barriers.  Safe to assume the other State boat launches will do the same.
So when a boat is in trouble near that launch the local rescue boat can't access that launch..... Brilliant!

First...I don't support this...but working in an "industry" that is dealing with this.....

The thought process has to be …..too many folks at the same time, same place....AND

you touch the docks....no one is cleaning them... where do you go if you have to pee?

It all sucks...but lots of you posted pics on line last week of over flowing parking lots

and 200 boats at the catt…..what did you think was going to happen?

As a charter...and many of my friends...we are loosing $$ starting now.....just saying....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Nautitroller said:
So when a boat is in trouble near that launch the local rescue boat can't access that launch..... Brilliant!

I agree, the launches should be allowable to rescue etc in the event of emergency.

My question is what do you do with the boat tomorrow at a launch that goes out with 3-4 guys on a 21 ft all from different families? Two are from PA.

I fished canandaguia last week, 40 trucks in the parking lot and two ramps to launch out of. I’d rather we over react now, instead of asking why boat launches weren’t closed earlier. We can deal with this until the 29th.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

And to be clear...only til 4/29.      I expect longer....maybe all of May....but maybe not whole season.....

Similarly....PA cancelled school today.  They are done mid June normally.   Despite the fact that upstate is holding

its own...is there any way Andy can't cancel school now   Get it done.  We distance til June 1 and go from there...

my thoughts....

Here's a picture of a post and a link to the post from Allison Mayer, one of the owners of Mayer's Marina in Webster.  The marina is still open, just no staff in the building.  Not sure how I would get gas unless they have a credit card machine set up at the pump...we shall see.  But at least I can still fish and keep my boat there this season!

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=allison c. mayer&ref=eyJxcyI6IkpUVkNKVEl5WVd4c2FYTnZiaVV5TUdNdUpUSXdiV0Y1WlhJbE1qSWxOVVEiLCJndiI6ImJlZTA5ZjkzZmE3MzJjZmE1OWExY2I2ZDlmNDUwZDM4OTI0MjRlNDkiLCJlbnRfaWRzIjpbXSwiYnNpZCI6Ijg1YjZkZWFkMjdkM2U4NmZjOTk2ODJkMzgxNzhmZmNhIiwicHJlbG9hZGVkX2VudGl0eV9pZHMiOm51bGwsInByZWxvYWRlZF9lbnRpdHlfdHlwZSI6bnVsbCwicmVmIjoiYnJfdGYiLCJjc2lkIjpudWxsLCJoaWdoX2NvbmZpZGVuY2VfYXJndW1lbnQiOm51bGwsImNsaWVudF90aW1lX21zIjoxNTg2NTE3MzE5NzI5LCJlcHMiOiIvaG9tZS5waHA6dG9wbmV3cyJ9&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Mayers.JPG