Auto pilot ideas for my 1986 trophy 2460

Hachimo

Lookin for ideas of what I could do to get an auto pilot on my rig at a reasonable price. I dont have a kicker and troll with my main. So I was thinkin maybe putting a kicker on and autopilot on the kicker maybe? I have absolutely no experience with auto pilots. It has the original steering, never upgraded. Just lookin for some thoughts I really appreciate any input and ideas. 
thanks fellas

mike

E64583A6-AAE1-4677-8AE9-8FE04236EF32.jpeg

Nice looking rig. I am waiting for this virus thing to pass so I can pick up my '86 Sportcraft Fisherman 250 hardtop. Looks very similar to yours.

I am a newb but based on the recommendations on LOU, I bought a Honda 9.9hp from Outboards Online, a Powertran Tailfin and iTroll from Boat Owners World. Not cheap but less expensive than some other choices and more robust than cheaper options. No install yet or time on the water so we will see. Good luck.

Thanks samonSez. Around about what was the price of everything minus the 9.9?  I have an older johnson 15hp I was thinkin of using and maybe lookin into a unit like the panther T4. But heard some negatives about them. Like I said I’m clueless with AP

I heard some bad things about the Panther 4 (not all bad, but enough) and was not willing to take the risk.The cheapest price I could find for the Powertran TAILFIN 8001 was $859.99 and for the iTroll it was $349.99. I paid the extra $90 for the Hunt mode upgrade on the iTroll. This software upgrade allows the iTroll to speed up and slow down in increments, incrments are user settable. You know how guys say they use "S" turns to slow down and speed up their inside and outside lures? This does the same thing automatically but in a straight line (no risk of tangled gear). 

it looks like the Powertran went up to $899:

https://www.boatownersworld.com/powrtran-tailfin-kicker-steering-system.html

I heard some bad things about the Panther 4 (not all bad, but enough) and was not willing to take the risk.The cheapest price I could find for the Powertran TAILFIN 8001 was $859.99 and for the iTroll it was $349.99. I paid the extra $90 for the Hunt mode upgrade on the iTroll. This software upgrade allows the iTroll to speed up and slow down in increments, incrments are user settable. You know how guys say they use "S" turns to slow down and speed up their inside and outside lures? This does the same thing automatically but in a straight line (no risk of tangled gear). 

it looks like the Powertran went up to $899:
https://www.boatownersworld.com/powrtran-tailfin-kicker-steering-system.html

This might be what I have to go with can’t find an autopilot for 2015 Mercury 4 stroke.(carb model)

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

If your kicker has a "steering tube", you can put on any outboard type system with the pump running an outboard type hydraulic cylinder in the steering tube. Dont need a helm, all steering control from the control unit. A good example would be a Lowrance system with a HDS gps/sonar running their outboard pilot system. You would need to buy the cylinder separately. No
helm required. You would not have throttle control with this setup but cold add that other ways. Had this on a T9.9 Yamaha high thrust. Ran shifting and throttle from a standard Yamaha 703 controller., autopilot steering from the HDS unit. If you have Lowrance HDS gen 2 or later unit you have a good start. About 1k for the autopilot, 300 for a cylinder and hardware. Then there is the kicker and bracket $. I have seen your boat at the Mexico launch and I believe you have an OMC "stringer" type I/O. I dont know what is available for autopilot to that unit directly.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Thank u irg for the info I will also look into that. I was told I would have to convert my steering to put a unit on my main which sounded real expensive so thats y I’m leaning toward a kicker with AP. I’m also thinkin this will be the last year with my trophy and may look into gettin a new boat for next year. Thanks again. 

I’m also thinkin this will be the last year with my trophy and may look into gettin a new boat for next year.

Run it with bags this year, and look for something all set the way you want it next year. May cost you, but at least it's all set.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I dont run bags. Trolls down 2.2-2.5. Without them. Lookin for auto pilot. 
but yea thats the idea. Buy something already setup. My trophy was definitely an awesome first “big boat” for Lake Ontario

Went through this a year or so ago. If you want a pilot that really works well make the switch to hydraulic steering. It will be about 1000 to do this and 2000 or so for the pilot unit depending on what you get brand wise. Had 3500 in mine. Imo i dont see where you will save alot going the kicker route by the time you get pilot unit kicker bracket etc... Only to find out that it wont perform that well when its rough. For what its worth. Good luck to you

While not exactly an autopilot, my kicker is mounted on a Remotetroll mount that allows me to steer the boat with a little key fob attached to my wrist: http://remotetroll.com/

I've used it for like 7 years now and it's very handy so you don't have to be at the helm.