Boat launches closed

1 minute ago, Offshore IV said:

Lol I’ve actually considered politics but I’d be in over my head. This whole thing reminds me of when cuomo instilled the “you can have 10 round magazines in your handguns but you can only have 7 bullets in them” type of crap. Maybe his policies do well for NYC, but he is not in touch with upstate NY. 

The only way to get in over your head in a political pole is to lay down on your face! Ha

6 minutes ago, mrclean said:

we shall see. whats open today will eventually be closed tomorrow.....

Yes, this. My guess is the state hasn’t deployed people yet to the launches that are still open. I remember last year launching my boat, and coming back to the launch and the state had put a barrier up that blocked the launch so I had to move it to make room for my truck haha

2 minutes ago, mrclean said:

I would imagine by monday they will all be closed down. I mean the order is legit, its all over the syracuse news. Shore fishing isnt that bad lol.

Or its more fake news.

Lol I guess it could be lol.....But naaa how could people not see this coming.  I mean as much as people may or may not practice social distancing and lets be honest everyone wants to move on as normal. Social Distancing is an easier said than done scenario and honestly these closings should not come as a surprise to anyone. Until this virus does get under control we should expect things in our culture that encourage social contact to be closed down.... But hey lol today is a great day to go brown trout fishing on lake ontario....we almost have two inches of snow on the ground lol

Edited by mrclean

Just spoke with a conservation officer. He said that if your boat is in the water and you can get to it that you're free to use it. Also said if a launch is not barricaded you're able to use that as well. He did say they were not given any direction on how to enforce the ruling. 

He did say that marinas were not essential and had to close. I asked about repairs and gas, repairs were only for essential boats (police ect..) they can't be open to sell gas. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mrclean said:

Lol I guess it could be lol.....But naaa how could people not see this coming.  I mean as much as people may or may not practice social distancing and lets be honest everyone wants to move on as normal. Social Distancing is an easier said than done scenario and honestly these closings should not come as a surprise to anyone. Until this virus does get under control we should expect things in our culture that encourage social contact to be closed down.... But hey lol today is a great day to go brown trout fishing on lake ontario....we almost have two inches of snow on the ground lol

I think the order is definitely not fake news. The ideology behind it, however, is the fake news. The idea of covid 19 spreading like a wildfire at boat launches is an utter lack of common sense. I’ve been launching a Mexico point probably 10 times already this year and have not gotten within even 10’ of a stranger. The actual numbers that came from Italy (I haven’t seen any from the US yet) state that 48.1% of people dead from covid 19 had 3 or more underlying conditions. If you had no underlying conditions, guess what the death rate is? .08%. I’m a 29 year old male in excellent health. Zero reason for me not to be able to launch my boat. If this continues into salmon season, I’ll find a way to drop my 19’ boat in at the damn bridge. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Well that may be true but it is the travel to and from the launch which is the true risk. I mean even if one stops at the store along the way or a bathroom or even to get gas could be an issue. And if one uses the launch and then another and another that could and does create groups of people larger than ten which is another guideline...Ultimately the actions of one could effect another...Im just gonna take my kayak down the Sterling Creek Saturday...

2 minutes ago, mrclean said:

Well that may be true but it is the travel to and from the launch which is the true risk. I mean even if one stops at the store along the way or a bathroom or even to get gas could be an issue. And if one uses the launch and then another and another that could and does create groups of people larger than ten which is another guideline...Ultimately the actions of one could effect another...Im just gonna take my kayak down the Sterling Creek Saturday...

I hear ya and I don’t mean to be combative but this is exactly like the reporter that asked directly to Trump on Monday why he hasn’t considered shutting down everything including grocery stores for two weeks. Absolute insanity. It reminds me of parents who shelter their kids from everything. When those kids get out on their own, and the real world punches them in the mouth, they fold like a lawn chair. Point is, we can’t just stop America everytime someone sneezes. America would never “reopen”.

• Like 2

I don't get how launches are closed, but parks and open space remain open. Have you seen Mendon Ponds Park? Or the canal path? The amount of people who are going stir-crazy and out for "exercise" is unreal. I don't care if you put forty boats in at Honeoye or Conesus or even 200 boats at the Cat. You aren't coming anywhere near the number of people who are interacting in other venues. Risk, reward, Cuomo!! You said it yourself. Yeah, if you drive 200 miles to fish and lick every doorknob on the way here, then that's an issue. If you want to shutter movement, then go full lock-down. Stop making it okay for the dumb*sses. to ignore policy, while honest fishermen who are trying to do the right thing get penalized. Risk, reward. Nobody's crying here or minimizing the impact on NYers' lives. it's just common sense. There's got to be a ceiling to this escalation. Flattening the curve doesn't change the space under the curve. We all need to be prepared to get COVID at some point, it's inevitable now, like the flu. Okay, rant over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluefin54 said:

He’s doing everything he can do, so when they realize they over predicted the death toll and everything else, he will be able to say, “see I saved NY, with everything I did”

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The man will never leave office and probably won't be voted out. He and that blowhard NYC mayor were late to the party but they will never admit to it. It was everyone else's fault.

12 minutes ago, Gator said:

I don't get how launches are closed, but parks and open space remain open. Have you seen Mendon Ponds Park? Or the canal path? The amount of people who are going stir-crazy and out for "exercise" is unreal. I don't care if you put forty boats in at Honeoye or Conesus or even 200 boats at the Cat. You aren't coming anywhere near the number of people who are interacting in other venues. Risk, reward, Cuomo!! You said it yourself. Yeah, if you drive 200 miles to fish and lick every doorknob on the way here, then that's an issue. If you want to shutter movement, then go full lock-down. Stop making it okay for the dumb*sses. to ignore policy, while honest fishermen who are trying to do the right thing get penalized. Risk, reward. Nobody's crying here or minimizing the impact on NYers' lives. it's just common sense. There's got to be a ceiling to this escalation. Flattening the curve doesn't change the space under the curve. We all need to be prepared to get COVID at some point, it's inevitable now, like the flu. Okay, rant over.

They’ve already found people who have the antibodies to fight covid 19 back in December- meaning a lot of people have already had it, recovered from it and are now immune to this particular strand. Don’t hear that on CNN or Fox News though do you?

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the virus is non discriminate to the politicians nor anyone else for that matter. Speaking of grocery stores.  Has anyone been in one lately? Its a completely different atmosphere and honestly it kinda skeeves me out.....Its not the same ..And I ask myself is this all media hype, is it valid. I mean I know some neighbors who have the virus. That doesnt scare me but at the same time when im at the store around people, I get weird lol....Like I want to get in and out real quick lol.

The problem is they cannot shut them down.....But it probably would not be a bad idea

15 minutes ago, mrclean said:

Keep in mind that the virus is non discriminate to the politicians nor anyone else for that matter. Speaking of grocery stores.  Has anyone been in one lately? Its a completely different atmosphere and honestly it kinda skeeves me out.....Its not the same ..And I ask myself is this all media hype, is it valid. I mean I know some neighbors who have the virus. That doesnt scare me but at the same time when im at the store around people, I get weird lol....Like I want to get in and out real quick lol.

The problem is they cannot shut them down.....But it probably would not be a bad idea

I feel the same way. Almost like everyone’s looking at everyone as if they have six eyes. I hate to make this analogy, because I’m sure some folks on here have special needs kids, but it’s like when you walk into a store with a child who has severe physical handicaps and people unintentionally stare at you for a few seconds. Same feeling now just with everyone.

And I get that the question was in good intentions but he didn’t think that one through!

Well the media is having a field day with this however a lot of them are working from home so thats good lol...I mean cuomos brother got it. Hes been in his basement quarantined looking all beatup and im sure its true....sucks to be him...Besides the real issue should be will Donald J. Trump pardon Joe exotic! lol...That is the question lol

I stopped at Keewayden and Krings Point State launches and both are open as is Wellesley Island. 2 village launches in Alexandria Bay are open and one at Goose Bay and Fishers Landing are open. Also talked to Border Patrol I saw and he said as far as he new they were open if no barricades are up. Time will tel but I have a friend with a private launch and another friend with a dock he offered so I’m in pretty good shape. Still only fishing solo or with my wife and don’t have to travel over a few miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Offshore IV said:

They’ve already found people who have the antibodies to fight covid 19 back in December- meaning a lot of people have already had it, recovered from it and are now immune to this particular strand. Don’t hear that on CNN or Fox News though do you?

I'm unaware of this data, and in fact there's some indication in academic circles that this could be misinformation spread through social media. Do you happen to have a good reference? Unfortunately, if folks think that cough they had in December means they're immune to COVID-19, well...there's potential to cause a lot of harm. While I agree that we can't rigorously rule out some community transmission late last year, it is quite unlikely that it went undetected for that long in the general population. If there wasn't the potential for harm, I wouldn't argue, but this is a dangerous road to go down.

I agree with some of what you've posted on this thread, but I can't get behind this particular theory. Sorry.

1 hour ago, Offshore IV said:

I think the order is definitely not fake news. The ideology behind it, however, is the fake news. The idea of covid 19 spreading like a wildfire at boat launches is an utter lack of common sense. I’ve been launching a Mexico point probably 10 times already this year and have not gotten within even 10’ of a stranger. The actual numbers that came from Italy (I haven’t seen any from the US yet) state that 48.1% of people dead from covid 19 had 3 or more underlying conditions. If you had no underlying conditions, guess what the death rate is? .08%. I’m a 29 year old male in excellent health. Zero reason for me not to be able to launch my boat. If this continues into salmon season, I’ll find a way to drop my 19’ boat in at the damn bridge. 

The problem is not you getting it but you may transmit to some one else. 

• Like 1