Boat launches closed

I agree with Offhsore its been around longer than most people think, just waiting for an anitbody test.  Suspect I may have had it in december and it wasnt really anything that bad, dry cough that kept me up a few nights.  Was still jogging and had no problems.  The wife about a week later went down hard for a couple of weeks.  Started to bounce back and then went down again with a horrible cough and congestion.  Coughing so hard her ribs were hurting for over a week.  We were  in florida when it started for me and had just returned home when the wife go it.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Gator said:

I'm unaware of this data, and in fact there's some indication in academic circles that this could be misinformation spread through social media. Do you happen to have a good reference? Unfortunately, if folks think that cough they had in December means they're immune to COVID-19, well...there's potential to cause a lot of harm. While I agree that we can't rigorously rule out some community transmission late last year, it is quite unlikely that it went undetected for that long in the general population. If there wasn't the potential for harm, I wouldn't argue, but this is a dangerous road to go down.

I agree with some of what you've posted on this thread, but I can't get behind this particular theory. Sorry.

You can search it and find many references, I’ll include this one, albeit from only one German town. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.technologyreview.com/2020/04/09/999015/blood-tests-show-15-of-people-are-now-immune-to-covid-19-in-one-town-in-germany/amp/

I dont get my news through social media. My common sense tells me there are many who have had it, their bodies rejected it (much like any other flu) and afterward developed antibodies for it. They basically got the vaccine the hard way haha but I’m not the endall be all, certainly not a doctor, so I’m totally open to discussion. These are only my opinions. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kevin J Legg said:

I stopped at Keewayden and Krings Point State launches and both are open as is Wellesley Island. 2 village launches in Alexandria Bay are open and one at Goose Bay and Fishers Landing are open. Also talked to Border Patrol I saw and he said as far as he new they were open if no barricades are up. Time will tel but I have a friend with a private launch and another friend with a dock he offered so I’m in pretty good shape. Still only fishing solo or with my wife and don’t have to travel over a few miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was thinking I need a friend with a launch and a dock. If he loves the fish and is a nonsmoker its a win/win. Lol send PM

I stopped at Keewayden and Krings Point State launches and both are open as is Wellesley Island. 2 village launches in Alexandria Bay are open and one at Goose Bay and Fishers Landing are open. Also talked to Border Patrol I saw and he said as far as he new they were open if no barricades are up. Time will tel but I have a friend with a private launch and another friend with a dock he offered so I’m in pretty good shape. Still only fishing solo or with my wife and don’t have to travel over a few miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sackets Harbor open
IMG_3312.JPG

Henderson open

IMG_3313.JPG

Stony Creek open

IMG_3315.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

3 hours ago, Offshore IV said:

You can search it and find many references, I’ll include this one, albeit from only one German town. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.technologyreview.com/2020/04/09/999015/blood-tests-show-15-of-people-are-now-immune-to-covid-19-in-one-town-in-germany/amp/

I dont get my news through social media. My common sense tells me there are many who have had it, their bodies rejected it (much like any other flu) and afterward developed antibodies for it. They basically got the vaccine the hard way haha but I’m not the endall be all, certainly not a doctor, so I’m totally open to discussion. These are only my opinions. 

I totally get what you're saying, and I'm with you to some extent. It is a sure bet that the virus is more widespread among affected communities than the number of positive tests would indicate. That's because we're using a diagnostic test, which misses folks who have had it, and there's truly asymptomatic carriers. So, for example, NYC could have ridiculous numbers, as could New Orleans - but probably only since Mardi Gras - much like that town in Germany that you reference in your link, which was hit hard post-festival. This phenomenon is probably restricted to areas where the virus is known to have or could have feasibly spread. So, it's unlikely that Rochester saw massive COVID infections in December, for example. The other part of the equation that's a complete unknown is how long post-infection immunity lasts. Coronaviruses cause the common cold, and we all know that immunity is ephemeral for that. So, even folks who know they've recovered from COVID-19 shouldn't feel like they're bulletproof yet.  The jury is still out on that one.

25 minutes ago, Gator said:

I totally get what you're saying, and I'm with you to some extent. It is a sure bet that the virus is more widespread among affected communities than the number of positive tests would indicate. That's because we're using a diagnostic test, which misses folks who have had it, and there's truly asymptomatic carriers. So, for example, NYC could have ridiculous numbers, as could New Orleans - but probably only since Mardi Gras - much like that town in Germany that you reference in your link, which was hit hard post-festival. This phenomenon is probably restricted to areas where the virus is known to have or could have feasibly spread. So, it's unlikely that Rochester saw massive COVID infections in December, for example. The other part of the equation that's a complete unknown is how long post-infection immunity lasts. Coronaviruses cause the common cold, and we all know that immunity is ephemeral for that. So, even folks who know they've recovered from COVID-19 shouldn't feel like they're bulletproof yet.  The jury is still out on that one.

That makes sense to me but we don’t know, and likely never will. I don’t feel like I’m bulletproof, but my evaluation of risk/reward draws the line. Giving folks the option to launch their boat is extremely low risk (if not, zero), offers people the chance to catch multiple meals worth of food, and gets them out of the house. And to people saying “well yea but you gotta stop at bait shops and gas stations”. Sure. If I lived 100 miles from the launch, your point is valid. But I’m closer to the launch than I am the grocery store. So are you gonna stop me from getting groceries? Because the two are exactly the same, in the sense of how many doors I’ll touch and gas pumps I’ll touch. 

• Like 4

Full parking lots and full boats isn't social distancing.  Problem solved!  I hate this too as I feel if people were any bit careful boating has to be a safe outdoor activity.  Problem is as a society we don't take direction very well and we aren't careful either.  They can't just close problem launches as those same guys will do the same thing elsewhere.  What they did was eliminate the congregation points statewide and no reason for people to drag this virus around in order to fish.  I'm trying to keep sane telling myself that staying at home will help us all get back to our lives sooner....I suggest we all just get in line. I fell in love with fishing in our farm pond standing right on shore...spent all winter fishing standing on shore...I suppose it's not the end of the world!