Boat launches closed

6 minutes ago, Shakemsam said:

Im guessing if the launches aren't monitored like Sandy, Ibay, etc...they will remain in use. Launches similar to The Small Boat Harbor in Buffalo will close.

From talking to the sheriffs earlier in the year, I’m going to be surprised if they even comply. Even then they were sick of this crap, no pun intended

Ultimately it boils down to the individual. Some will comply others will not. But there is a valid threat. As of three days ago Cayuga County was sitting on 15 cases, three weeks prior it was 3 cases. That made sense because if you take the city of Auburn out there really is nothing but a large swamp and a bunch of lakeside communities and a few hamlets in between. In the past two weeks I have seen an influx of people coming into the area from areas 40 miles west of New Rochelle as the crow flies, Pennsylvania, CT, MA to name a few. This is normal to me this time of year. Many needed to get to their boats to get them ready for dump in. .....What does that translate to? As of today they have 33 cases......The more people travel not only into these areas but even locals who travel within, cases will spike apparently

https://auburnpub.com/news/local/covid-19-cases-spike-in-cayuga-county-as-11-residents-test-positive/article_671986cf-85c7-572b-9c4a-c4c5f09e0da5.html

• Like 1

My Mom lives in West Winfield, south of Utica, middle of nowhere. Her husband hasn't gone anywhere for two weeks other than the local hardware store. The owner of the hardware store was diagnosed positive a couple days ago. What are the chances? I explained to my Mom that in fact, they were very good. Inevitable, almost. Rural areas are lagging behind urban areas, but they are subject to the same factors that affect spread of COVID in other communities. And once it shows up, it will grow either linearly or logarithmically depending on how well folks keep their distance.

However, I suspect that boat launches are not much of a factor. It's more locals who think that they're protected by where they live and consider this to be a city disease. Wrong. 

Yea Its not a city disease as much as it is a social gathering disease. We have a very popular tiny little italian meet market in our area. They are known for their meatball mix. That meatball mix probably makes up 60% of their business its that popular. Anyways my neighbor who lives down the street went there march 16th. A week later it was reported that an employee there had tested positive for COVID19. The county gave the guidelines that anyone who visited that store within the 16th and 17th should self quarantine. Not two days later after the media reported the employee tested positive both my neighbors got extremely sick and were diagnosed with the disease.....One was on the ventilator but now both are home on quarantine recovering....

My point is this. That meat market is very small. Mom and pop and one or two employees. Sort of like.......All these businesses in these little lake shoreline towns....It can and does spread very easily....

Edited by mrclean

Your neighbor is lucky. Most people who go on ventilators never come off of them. It's looking like we are going to have to reassess whether intubation is always appropriate. There's emerging data suggesting that it may, in come cases, cause more harm than good.

1 hour ago, mrclean said:

Yea Its not a city disease as much as it is a social gathering disease. We have a very popular tiny little italian meet market in our area. They are known for their meatball mix. That meatball mix probably makes up 60% of their business its that popular. Anyways my neighbor who lives down the street went there march 16th. A week later it was reported that an employee there had tested positive for COVID19. The county gave the guidelines that anyone who visited that store within the 16th and 17th should self quarantine. Not two days later after the media reported the employee tested positive both my neighbors got extremely sick and were diagnosed with the disease.....One was on the ventilator but now both are home on quarantine recovering....

My point is this. That meat market is very small. Mom and pop and one or two employees. Sort of like.......All these businesses in these little lake shoreline towns....It can and does spread very easily....

Agreed, which brings up why fat Nancy’s is considered essential lol my buddy’s and I were wondering about that. 

I don't want anyone to get sick or god forbid loose their life from this virus. But the reality is most people will get it eventually. And like other viruses people will die from it. I wasn't in favor of shutting things down but it hasn't been as bad as I thought. I'm sure it's hit some people hard financially I really feel for those folks. It seems the shut down has had an effect on the spread of this thing. Now it seems like we are on the down hill side of this virus. My feeling now is its time to start getting back to some kind of normal. We all know it's not going to be the same as it was. Some things will change forever because of this. Will more people get sick? Yes. But that happens every year from the flu. Until their is a vaccine we will all get this like the flu. Most of us will be down for a week or so and then recover. If people are scared to get it or has a health issue that makes them vulnerable to getting critically sick then you should stay home and avoid exposure. Those folks can take advantage of the programs to get through this financially. But for the rest of us I think it's time to get back to work and back to living our lives. We could keep things shut down longer but how long is longer? A couple more weeks? Maybe another month or two? Or longer? My point is the "experts" say without a vaccine it could go on for a year or two with spikes and lulls until we all eventually get it. In my humble opinion I think we've done what we can to limit the initial spread of this virus. We are past the peak and it's time to get back to our lives. Happy Easter to everyone and your families.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, billbobthorpe said:

I don't want anyone to get sick or god forbid loose their life from this virus. But the reality is most people will get it eventually. And like other viruses people will die from it. I wasn't in favor of shutting things down but it hasn't been as bad as I thought. I'm sure it's hit some people hard financially I really feel for those folks. It seems the shut down has had an effect on the spread of this thing. Now it seems like we are on the down hill side of this virus. My feeling now is its time to start getting back to some kind of normal. We all know it's not going to be the same as it was. Some things will change forever because of this. Will more people get sick? Yes. But that happens every year from the flu. Until their is a vaccine we will all get this like the flu. Most of us will be down for a week or so and then recover. If people are scared to get it or has a health issue that makes them vulnerable to getting critically sick then you should stay home and avoid exposure. Those folks can take advantage of the programs to get through this financially. But for the rest of us I think it's time to get back to work and back to living our lives. We could keep things shut down longer but how long is longer? A couple more weeks? Maybe another month or two? Or longer? My point is the "experts" say without a vaccine it could go on for a year or two with spikes and lulls until we all eventually get it. In my humble opinion I think we've done what we can to limit the initial spread of this virus. We are past the peak and it's time to get back to our lives. Happy Easter to everyone and your families.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes I feel the same way. 

3 hours ago, Gator said:

Your neighbor is lucky. Most people who go on ventilators never come off of them. It's looking like we are going to have to reassess whether intubation is always appropriate. There's emerging data suggesting that it may, in come cases, cause more harm than good.

One of the things I have wondered about is the amount of pressure being blown into the lungs by the ventilators or is it that the lungs just come to rely on the ventilator and continue to deteriorate? I don't think anyone has a real handle on it but they should be looking closely at it.

Edited by Sk8man

One of the things I have wondered about is the amount of pressure being blown into the lungs by the ventilators or is it that the lungs just come to rely on the ventilator and continue to deteriorate? I don't think anyone has a real handle on it but they should be looking closely at it.

I think you have hit the nail on the head my mother had copd ( years before Covid-19). They put her on a ventilator, and she had to stay On it for 11 months before passing. I believe her lungs got weak and dependent on the vent to breath

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

It was my understanding that any state park boat ramp that was currently open were fees or a worker wasn’t required was going to stay open and usable even though the emperor closed all the others. Here is the number to the regional office that controls Mexico bay boat launch 315 492 1756.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Mexico point this AM IMG_1071.thumb.JPG.dff872c357dad0e0e04f1250e619f63b.JPG

We did this to ourselves. When you go to Wright’s or Mexico or Henderson and see plates from PA , NH , NJ , VT etc. when you are supposed to stay home. This is what you get.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chinook35 said:

We did this to ourselves. When you go to Wright’s it Mexico or Henderson and see plates from PA , NH , NJ , VT etc. when you are supposed to stay home. This is what you get.

I wouldnt know I been at home

Edited by wrinklestar
  • Like 1

I don't blame the out of staters,i blame everyone on this site that went out fishing and had to go post fishing reports,pictures of four people on a boat,pictures of full lots and talking about full lots and heavy boat traffic.i can only imagine the same thing is on facebook and all the other stupid social media sites.if you would have just went fishing and kept your mouth shut and stayed off the internet,you probably would still be fishing!!!!!!!keep posting pictures of ramps that are still open,you are helping the state find them and close them too!!!!!!and if anyone thinks this is gonna be over with in a couple weeks,you are sadly mistaking,vermont just extended their stay at home order to may 15th and we all know that this moron Cuomo isn't gonna be out done by another state,so im sure in a few days he is gonna make an announcement that he is extending the stay at home order in new York till the end of may.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, nasc620 said:

Maybe NY needs to do what Ohio did and temporary ban the sales of out of state hunting and fishing licenses

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Definitely a good idea but a little late now bein alot of guys from out of state already have then. the main reason for the shut down was probly the license plates at the launches. Unfortunately thos who dont give a sh*t ruined it for everyone. Including you local guys. PA seems to be really conserned about mental health. I keep hearing they need to keep state parks open for hinking,and fishing to help with people who may have mental health issues.