A day on the big Reef

Fishtails

These are some of the fish we caught on our last day In Key Largo.

Don't know what this Is? Check out the fish behind the boat :o Justin had a field day, but they were mostly smaller fish.

PENNEKAMP005.jpg

A yellow Jack....great fighters!

PENNEKAMP006-1.jpg

A rock hind

PENNEKAMP008-1.jpg

PENNEKAMP009-2.jpg

Some groupers

PENNEKAMP012.jpg

PENNEKAMP014.jpg

Justin's small Mackeral

PENNEKAMP004.jpg

Rod, thanks for sharing the pics. The smile on Justin's face says it all. Just out of curiosity, did you happen to keep and try any of the groupers that you caught? When we go to Sanibel Island, I make it a point to go to a steak and seafood restaurant that serves bronzed grouper. I rank it right up there with walleye :) - Duane

I hear Sanibel Is really nice Duane. I have not had the opportunity to get there yet. I did not keep the groupers. We caught all of them on the last day, and I wasn't going to have time to clean or cook them so they were released. I only kept a few fish the whole trip actually, 2 yellowtail and a hog fish. Both are favorites, but I'd really like to try some fresh grouper one of these days.

Could be a porgy Bob, but I think the eyes are kinda close to the mouth and the mouth was a little small for the porgy family. Doesn't mean It's not though. I caught some Bermuda chubs this trip Skipper and they do look very similar In the body shape but they have yellow stripes and are lighter. We have a book we carry with us but I swear half the fish we catch are not In there.

Rod, they claim Sanibel is one of the top 5 shelling beaches in the world. Been going there for many years now. Took the 2 daughters there thru the years and they still like to go back. If you have never tried the bronzed or blackened grouper, you need to. That is always high on my priority list when we head to Florida.