Grass Carp - All That We Need

HBC

I'm sure most of you read that they captured a grass carp in a Michigan tributary on Lake Huron but this one is the first that was not sterile.  On top of everything going on now, people (including myself) getting antsy about going fishing, this is all that we need.  One could only guess if and when these proliferate through the GL system.  

https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-bay-city/2020/04/invasive-grass-carp-found-lake-huron-tributary-likely-came-from-lake-erie-dnr-says.html

Did you read the article on where they figure it came from?  Lake Erie....  We've had grass carp here for years.  Some giants get shocked in the buffalo harbor.  This pic was one of many shocked up in small boat harbor last spring.  The big head carp and silver carp are the ones we are worried about.  

60350581_615330308984491_6923092363204100096_n.jpg

• Like 2

You are correct about silver and big head carp being the most concerning.  Thanks for sharing that info as I don't fish Erie and only Lake O.  We only have common carp here for now.

3 minutes ago, hairybumcrack said:

You are correct about silver and big head carp being the most concerning.  Thanks for sharing that info as I don't fish Erie and only Lake O.  We only have common carp here for now.

Negative.  We have grass carp in Ontario as well.  They arent prolific anywhere but we have them.  Toronto harbor is known for the oddball catch.  The Erie population is successfully spawning and whatever Erie has, so does Ontario.

Screenshot_20200411-194504_Chrome.thumb.jpg.4f37489ebbbf3befab7186a0ce01680e.jpg

• Like 1

That article was geared more towards huron.  They are spreading from us to them.  They've been here long enough now that they arent expected to take off and populate in any crazy manor.  The biologist that talked about them at the NMA meeting a few years about suspected that if the population was going to blow up it would have done so already like Rudd or Gobys did.