I have frequented this site at least twice a day for years, enjoyed the banter immensely, learned more than I could ever give back and on a hectic day nothing is more relaxing than a couple minutes on LOU. Until last Thursday. I can't believe people I feel so much in common with are so selfish as to endanger all of us over a fish! A fish that will be there still when we get back out there. The excuses I read are absurd.

This virus is transferable for several days before it actively attacks you - you will not know till its too late, no you may not die but you will infect someone who will infect someone and they may die. I work as support to people in the health care field, first responders do not have unlimited access to protection equipment, how would you like to worry about the outcome of every patient you deal with? Would you worry about bringing it back to those you care about. Lets look at the nursing home system, my mother in law is in one that's in lock down, she suffers from dementia and none of her family can visit her let alone try to explain why she thinks she's in prison. If you have been hiding under a rock let me tell you all our hospitals are now locked down as well - no visitors.

I love the political banter on this site but guys, this ain't politics, no one knew this was coming or to what extent, we couldn't possibly afford to have enough medical equipment on hand to be ready for something that may show up every century.

Those of you whining about your rights have forgotten you can't exercise these rights without respect for others and the system, maybe you should go to China and see how you feel.

I hope people can really think about what truly is important and I hope those of us who can, can influence a few others.

Happy Easter

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Everyone is itching. I have been grounded due to an infection. For the first 2.5 weeks of the shutdown. Doctor was very clear, stay away from everyone. So I've cleaned the boat 4 or 5 times. Same for tackle, rods reels etc. There it sits still covered. I drove around yesterday checking launch sites. Happy to see some open some closed. I can't wait to get out. But I can give it a few more days. The stores are a **** show.  Just be safe , relax. Time is on our side. Really enjoy this site. Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Adm Byrd said:

I have frequented this site at least twice a day for years, enjoyed the banter immensely, learned more than I could ever give back and on a hectic day nothing is more relaxing than a couple minutes on LOU. Until last Thursday. I can't believe people I feel so much in common with are so selfish as to endanger all of us over a fish! A fish that will be there still when we get back out there. The excuses I read are absurd.

This virus is transferable for several days before it actively attacks you - you will not know till its too late, no you may not die but you will infect someone who will infect someone and they may die. I work as support to people in the health care field, first responders do not have unlimited access to protection equipment, how would you like to worry about the outcome of every patient you deal with? Would you worry about bringing it back to those you care about. Lets look at the nursing home system, my mother in law is in one that's in lock down, she suffers from dementia and none of her family can visit her let alone try to explain why she thinks she's in prison. If you have been hiding under a rock let me tell you all our hospitals are now locked down as well - no visitors.

I love the political banter on this site but guys, this ain't politics, no one knew this was coming or to what extent, we couldn't possibly afford to have enough medical equipment on hand to be ready for something that may show up every century.

Those of you whining about your rights have forgotten you can't exercise these rights without respect for others and the system, maybe you should go to China and see how you feel.

I hope people can really think about what truly is important and I hope those of us who can, can influence a few others.

Happy Easter

This is not about fishing or “one fish”. It’s about how our government can control every aspect of our lives based on skeptical at best “facts”. False reporting is going on everywhere. Have you noticed heart attack, stroke, etc deaths have plummeted? Why is that? It’s because the CDC has ordered that if people die from anything, but test positive for C19, their death cert will state C19 was the cause of death. So let’s say 100,000 unfortunately die- how many would have died if they hadn't contracted c19? Make your own conclusion. 

Like many others on this site, we are disgusted at how much control can be placed on us at will by the so called leaders in government. Check out the mayor of Chicago who banned hair salons, then the next day shows up with her hair perfectly done by her stylist who she allowed to break the rule. These politicians think they’re above us. Do as I say, not as I do. Or cuomo having these daily meetings without a mask is 1000x worse than me launching my boat and fishing a couple hours. 

Edited by Offshore IV
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hypocrisy in government is nothing new and is characteristic of most power structures. When I left the military years ago I felt that I never wanted to take orders from anyone again in my  life. Unfortunately, that is not the way life actually operates There are always authoritarian structures embedded in societies and it is purely a matter of degree of it that separates most of them. We as Americans are used to a lot of independent functioning in most aspects of our lives, and this has been a factor since the country was founded. There has always been a balancing act between individual liberties and majority rules of the larger society and population. Like in areas of medicine and other fields the decision to take rational action involves making an assessment of the benefit to risk in acting for the good of all concerned and basically that harm to others will be kept at a minimum, or hopefully avoided altogether often in making such decisions which affects large groups of diverse people or interests someone is going to be inconvenienced or disadvantaged in some way. The current situation is just such a circumstance. In this situation the very real and substantial risks including death far outweigh the the individual interests of a segment of the population far from a majority with some requiring protection from harm including possible death. When you don't have the perception of  your being in the vulnerable group much like the 19 year old soldier in combat thinking he is invincible and it is only others that will be hit or killed you may act in bold reckless ways which may lead to yourself or others being harmed or killed. This virus has the same ability to harm or kill and in very virulent and indirect ways (e.g. people not displaying symptoms but passing on the virus to others). It should be treated in the same manner as a visible enemy with everyone's attention focused, cooperation of everyone doing their part for the common good despite the considerable inconveniences, delays in gratification, questions regarding the veracity or necessity of regulations or orders. Failure to do these things in combat can and does lead to casualties - some unavoidable but others that clearly can be minimized or avoided by following directions. The folks making the decisions tried doing things in a less restrictive way with numerous widespread problems with implementation so the next level of restrictions was imposed. Don't mistakenly think this is the most restrictive it can be as if things get way out of hand martial law could be imposed and nobody wants to see that. In short it is a hell of a  lot easier to suspend judgment temporarily at least and do as requested or ordered. Nobody likes it but some folks lives could be hanging in the balance.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 8

14 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Hypocrisy in government is nothing new and is characteristic of most power structures. When I left the military years ago I felt that I never wanted to take orders from anyone again in my  life. Unfortunately, that is not the way life actually operates There are always authoritarian structures embedded in societies and it is purely a matter of degree of it that separates most of them. We as Americans are used to a lot of independent functioning in most aspects of our lives, and this has been a factor since the country was founded. There has always been a balancing act between individual liberties and majority rules of the larger society and population. Like in areas of medicine and other fields the decision to take rational action involves making an assessment of the benefit to risk in acting for the good of all concerned and basically that harm to others will be kept at a minimum, or hopefully avoided altogether often in making such decisions which affects large groups of diverse people or interests someone is going to be inconvenienced or disadvantaged in some way. The current situation is just such a circumstance. In this situation the very real and substantial risks including death far outweigh the the individual interests of a segment of the population far from a majority with some requiring protection from harm including possible death. When you don't have the perception of  your being in the vulnerable group much like the 19 year old soldier in combat thinking he is invincible and it is only others that will be hit or killed you may act in bold reckless ways which may lead to yourself or others being harmed or killed. This virus has the same ability to harm or kill and in very virulent and indirect ways (e.g. people not displaying symptoms but passing on the virus to others). It should be treated in the same manner as a visible enemy with everyone's attention focused, cooperation of everyone doing their part for the common good despite the considerable inconveniences, delays in gratification, questions regarding the veracity or necessity of regulations or orders. Failure to do these things in combat can and does lead to casualties - some unavoidable but others that clearly can be minimized or avoided by following directions. The folks making the decisions tried doing things in a less restrictive way with numerous widespread problems with implementation so the next level of restrictions were imposed. Don't mistakenly think this is the most restrictive it can be as if things get way out of hand martial law could be imposed and nobody wants to see that. In short it is a hell of a  lot easier to suspend judgment temporarily at least and do as requested 9or ordered. Nobody likes it but some folks lives could be hanging in the balance.

I have purposely tried to keep the emotion to a minimum here.:smile:

JUST DONT WORRY!  Stay in your house and you will be safe, just sit on the couch and watch CNN and Coumo. Martial law if you say so, Remember they have sold out of Guns and ammo at your local gun store.

Well it is a serious subject with a lot of variables and unknown so emotions and thoughts will escalate on both sides. The bottom line is the less people adhere to this stay at home order (which is the whole country btw) the more likely this virus will linger around. Our words on this forum do not spread the virus but our physical actions in our daily lives do. Time will tell

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mrclean said:

Well it is a serious subject with a lot of variables and unknown so emotions and thoughts will escalate on both sides. The bottom line is the less people adhere to this stay at home order (which is the whole country btw) the more likely this virus will linger around. Our words on this forum do not spread the virus but our physical actions in our daily lives do. Time will tell

Why do you think there are sides? This is not sports, a fight or combat its about health. We all see the scientists and experts changing the models weekly. So what are the sides about? 

• Haha 1

To date New York State has accounted for nearly half the more than 20,000 deaths in the United States as of tooday . If that fact doesn't influence someone nothing will.

6 hours ago, Adm Byrd said:

Happy Easter

I went fishing last week.  Left my house with my sons lauched the boat and went fishing.  We made no stops and didn't come within 500 yards of another human.  Explain to me where the problem is.  Your ridiculous rant makes it sound like its impossible to follow the presidential and CDC guidelines and go fishing.  There is absolutley ZERO substance to your argument and quite frankly you sound like you got dropped on your head. 

• Like 6