Lost a great Captain today

We lost a great Capt., Dad, and a good friend today sad to say. Captain Joe Toomey has left us for a better place. I have known Joe for over 40 plus years, One of the best memories i have is when we won the last pro am with the 10 day all expenses paid trip to fish in sweden besides 20G (1997).  We also won the cup for all of the pro am's, it was a hell of a year and we enjoyed it to the end. I have many other awesome fishing times with Joe but i can't type for hours that well. One of the last best times was last year at the rochester shootout when we took the mix fish friday. Cocktails were always the norm. There will only be one Joe in this world and i am glad to have been part of it. We are gonna miss ya buddy. God bless and keep looking down on the big pond.

• Like 12

I first met Joe when I was a first mate for Sam Datillo .  The first day I met Joe,  Sam and I trolled browns that morning  in the same water Joe was fishing.  He caught a pig walleye in front of Shipbuilders in 10' of water that morning.  He was a great man and a huge loss to the fishing community.  My condolences to all of his family and friends. 

Joe was such a great person.  When I started chartering, I could call Joe and he would give me advice where the fish were day by day.  Through the years a great friendship was born.  I liked the morning walking the dock to get ice and Joe was getting his boat ready and we talked a little.  He will be missed.  This hurts losing such a colorful person.  RIP and save a place on your boat when it is my turn to join you.

• Like 3

I could type for hours, and some of it might get censored as well!  Joe was a great man, a Lake O legend, and an even better friend.  You could get lost in a conversation with him, and next thing you know, two hours have past.  The stories that guy could tell!  I was fortunate enough to be able to share some of Joe's last days tourney fishing, during our time together for last year's Rochester Tournament, where we were fortunate enough to take first on Friday...and more importantly...to share an incredible day on the water, and perhaps a cocktail or ten.  We're gonna miss ya buddy.  RIP Capt. Joe!

For a few years I ran a big corporate charter group out of the Westinghouse factory In Pittsburgh. We had 100 guys come in on two trailway busses. I had 25 Charter Captains work that gig and we even held a big fish tournament. Joe was always one of the boats that participated and was always eager to help with the details.

After awhile Joe took that group over and they continued to come up and enjoy LO.

RIP Capt.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

One of my best memories of Capt Joe was him driving me in his truck from Olcott to pick up a nickel dime part but he insisted.  He drove us one way 35 miles and back and we had a great life talk along the way...

Another was seeing him and the whole MI Stinger fishing team (including the owner;Terry -R.I.P) in an elevator in ST Caths at a hotel, brief case, jackets, MIS hats, the whole visual display.  LOL-I was the new Dreamweaver guy and walked in there feeling like an alewife in a school of Kings.  I was like, damn, these guys are here for business at this years spring KOTL. (I couldn't wait to get out of that elevator)

Lastly, the song THUNDER; by AC/DC will always be remembered even more now.  Heard that tune jammed many times by Joe on tournament day.

R.I.P Joe

Captain Pete

Vision Quest

Edited by dreamsteelie
  • Like 2

As a rookie to lakeO, I can appreciate the guys like Joe. Never met him, and didn't hear about him till this thread, but dang, leaving a legacy behind like the stories shared here sure humbles me. People with real character are not the norm, and it's easy to see what kind of guy Joe was.

Rest in peace.

• Like 3

As a rookie to lakeO, I can appreciate the guys like Joe. Never met him, and didn't hear about him till this thread, but dang, leaving a legacy behind like the stories shared here sure humbles me. People with real character are not the norm, and it's easy to see what kind of guy Joe was.

Rest in peace.

You are so correct Nympho

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

Never met the man but use to look forward to reading his reports almost daily on At The Oaks.He sure shared some great reports.That's what really got me hooked on fishing Lake O.My success rate more than doubled from reading the daily reports from him and the other great Captains who shared info.Had a close encounter with him one day while fishing off the Oaks.It was blowing hard with 8 ft plus swells.I was in about 400 fow in my 16' glass boat(pretty crazy looking back on it) on the fish.Then I see Irish Thunder working the same water as I.I was in awe he was like a legend to me.I must have got a little close because I almost got Thunder Struck.I respected that and moved on.I will never forget that day.Thanks for sharing Capt. RIP

6 hours ago, brucehookedup said:

I can remember talking one day after our trips a while back about a F,,,,,g idiot that almost ran into him in this crazy crappy weather. He did say the guy had Big Balls being out there. I'm thinking it was probably you. Good laughing.

Yup Brucie...this gave me my laugh for the day.  I can just hear him saying it.  Too funny.

Tommy he used to break my balls and call me MissyDemeanor.... I'd call Joe up and say..." Hello...is this Capt Gloomy of the Irish Blunder?" ... Joe would laugh and tell me to stop hanging out with Kyle...

Or better yet, I got caught in the middle of a potatoe gun war between Toomey and another unnamed Capt... Looked like Patriot missiles flying over my hard top...

Some great laughs over the years... Will miss that big smirk... Sucks

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app