Lost a great Captain today

100% spot on... Joe had a hint of saltiness but he was approachable and generous. He and I would talk about his "past lifetime" career and we would laugh how some things were the same and how a lot has changed.
A lot of the old timers I spoke with said Joe was a good cop but had a sense of humor. I met him many years after he retired , but he still had the swagger of an old time beat cop. I was like "Damn... I bet this guy has some war stories". The more I got to know him, the more stories I heard and I was exactly right.
I remember telling Joe a story about a real crappy brawl I was involved in at work. Guys got hurt, but it ended up being OK. Joe shook his head and said.." Better you than me Kid. I couldn't do it again." We just laughed and got back to talking about the the fishing...
It's going to be rough hearing Thunderstruck now.... But when it comes on, it's going to be loud...

I didn't know Joe but from the comments and stories here I have respect for him because the true measure of a man is the way in which he is regarded by family, friends, co-workers and colleagues. The personal esteem, affection, and respect that are embedded in the stories say volumes about him. It is surely the way that someone would wish to be remembered. May he RIP.

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

On 4/12/2020 at 8:41 PM, brucehookedup said:

We lost a great Capt., Dad, and a good friend today sad to say. Captain Joe Toomey has left us for a better place. I have known Joe for over 40 plus years, One of the best memories i have is when we won the last pro am with the 10 day all expenses paid trip to fish in sweden besides 20G (1997).  We also won the cup for all of the pro am's, it was a hell of a year and we enjoyed it to the end. I have many other awesome fishing times with Joe but i can't type for hours that well. One of the last best times was last year at the rochester shootout when we took the mix fish friday. Cocktails were always the norm. There will only be one Joe in this world and i am glad to have been part of it. We are gonna miss ya buddy. God bless and keep looking down on the big pond.

I didn’t know captain Joe. Wish I did. Really don’t know anyone on the lake other then LOU. 
     This past Saturday as I was coming out of little salmon river Thunderstruck came on right before I started motoring west towards the plant. 5:30am I had no choice but to crank it up, and made me think of this post. (Really is a great song to hear on your way to do battle with kings)

I didn't know him, yet I thought of him and the stories you shared. You fellas are great friends to keep his memories alive. I’m sorry for your loss. 

Edited by Hachimo
  • Like 4

I bet I have you all beat in fishing time though by 81 I had already been fishing for 32 years:lol: but lets not forget about what this thread is about....recognition of a great fisherman that apparently influenced many others in a very positive way and that is more important than time spent doing anything.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sk8man said:

I bet I have you all beat in fishing time though by 81 I had already been fishing for 32 years:lol: but lets not forget about what this thread is about....recognition of a great fisherman that apparently influenced many others in a very positive way and that is more important than time spent doing anything.

Trust me Sk8man, no one is going to forget what this thread is about...just like no one is going to forget about the man, the myth, the legend himself.  With that said...if Joe's looking down and sees we're getting all misty eyed and not busting balls...there's a good chance he's gonna pay one of us a visit!  

• 3 years later...