Replacing lead core

Had a spring King break off the lead core yesterday at the Oak on a 2 color while fishing for Browns yesterday. Hard to say exactly how far into the first color (without effort and conjecture I'm not going to expend)I'm not sure but looked faded for sure. That particular core setup is 13 years old. haven't given a whole lot of thought to changing out lead core line but perhaps I should? Thoughts/ personal experiences appreciated. Thanks

Andy, I think a good rule of thumb on lead core replacement is 3 to 5 years.  With Tuf Line Micro and Suffix 832 super lines probably go a little longer.  If I see lead breaking and sticking out sheath, I also replace.  I got a 1,000 yard spool and changed out all my lead core this winter other than a couple micro lead setups.

9 minutes ago, mr 580 said:

Andy, I think a good rule of thumb on lead core replacement is 3 to 5 years.  With Tuf Line Micro and Suffix 832 super lines probably go a little longer.  If I see lead breaking and sticking out sheath, I also replace.  I got a 1,000 yard spool and changed out all my lead core this winter other than a couple micro lead setups.

Yeah Frank, I'm afraid I got complacent about some of my short cores. The 2 color that broke on the king held up Ok on 2 good browns but let's face it that's just not the same thing. I have a 2 spool lead box on my shelf, have to make time to do the 2,4 and 5 that I left languishing.