Boat control help

I beg to differ...my boat catches more wind than any multi species boat ever made and have thousands of hours trolling in the wind with gas and electric used together...works very well!  I need 36v for my size boat, and battery life isn't an issue either if you charge them.  I don't fish with a mate and have zero boat control issues. If it's blowing close to 20 or above I have to help with the remote as the auto pilot can struggle sometimes, but I still run 9 lines and steer.  

Regular auto pilot you don’t have to charge batteries every day u don’t have to carry a remote to correct boat into the wind you don’t have added weight and you can get one for not a lot more money I fished with a friend who uses his electric motor on a day with a little wind if he’s fighting a fish he’s constantly messing with his remote to correct boat next thing u know your going around in a circle not for me yes on a calm day they work good with wind not so good so spend the extra money get a regular auto pilot

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Then his electric motor isn't big enough or the batteries weren't charged or something.  I have none of those problems.  I agree a gas autopilot works very well to troll in a direction and if open water trolling is all you do it's the play.  If you are multi species, troll structure, drift fish, cast, etc also the trolling motor is the play.  

Then his electric motor isn't big enough or the batteries weren't charged or something.  I have none of those problems.  I agree a gas autopilot works very well to troll in a direction and if open water trolling is all you do it's the play.  If you are multi species, troll structure, drift fish, cast, etc also the trolling motor is the play.  

I’d agree. The electrics today with ipilot are pretty impressive. Now would I buy one it if I only trolled LO, I think I’d put an AP on my big motor first. If I did both, inland lakes and such I’d have both. And as Justin said If I had the money......

I’d agree. The electrics today with ipilot are pretty impressive. Now would I buy one it if I only trolled LO, I think I’d put an AP on my big motor first. If I did both, inland lakes and such I’d have both. And as Justin said If I had the money......

Yes he’s trolling motor was big enough he had it on a 17 foot boat and I only troll Lake Ontario for salmon so regular auto pilot is the way it goes for me

Yes he’s trolling motor was big enough he had it on a 17 foot boat and I only troll Lake Ontario for salmon so regular auto pilot is the way it goes for me

I have my auto pilot on a 19 foot boat and I fish Lake Uri also works great go into the wind doesn’t matter if it’s five footers with a 99 kicker and I usually troll for 1012 hrs. a day my buddy did that with his electric motor every day he hast to charge the batteries I charge nothing

Before I spend thousands of dollars for the electric motor, I will anchor up. It has worked for decades now and I have caught tons of perch. I will drift if it is too windy to steer the boat. People should get their head straight before they throw their money away to win a stupid bass contest for fish they do not eat.

My friend suggested wiring my kicker to the trolling motor batteries in my 18 foot fiberglass multi species boat.

It works well. Get up to 1.8 or so with my kicker. Set my Minnkota Terrova at 4 (out of 10) on the remote and I am at about 2.2 or so. Put in on autopilot or “follow the contour” and I am pretty much good to go in medium to calm water. My trolling motor batteries stay fully charged. Haven’t fished all day so I can’t say I can fish all day like that but I think it is a possibility.

Anything bumpier than that it gets a little touchy, but if it does I head inshore and fish for bass/walleyes/pike anyway. Or take a nap and relax. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

9 hours ago, jimski2 said:

Before I spend thousands of dollars for the electric motor, I will anchor up. It has worked for decades now and I have caught tons of perch. I will drift if it is too windy to steer the boat. People should get their head straight before they throw their money away to win a stupid bass contest for fish they do not eat.

Too funny

Bass guys are insane!  Spend 70k on a boat to catch a fish they don't eat that could be caught with a cane pole from the dock!

Seriously though depending on how you fish a trolling motor is an awesome tool.  Not too mention the piece of mind knowing I can get off the water if my motor goes.  Gotta have a kicker if you don't have a trolling motor fishing in the middle of the night like I do.  And you can't catch walleye in 2-3 fow rolling up with your motor on!  Depends on what you do and how bad you want to do it!!  

I have a 18' Smokercraft Phantom.  It is all aluminum with a 90 Honda on it.  The issue I am having is keeping the bow into the wind.  If the wind is pushing 10 or above it is a b!tch to fish out of alone.  In the time it takes to put a rigger down it can just about do a 180.  I have tried drift bags and they helped a little but they require me to troll above idle and there is that typical flat spot in the throttle.  I was thinking about adding a trolling motor to the bow but not sure it would do the trick (and it would be an expensive test).  Anyone have any ideas for simple things I could try?  Thanks.
You're only hope is to install an autopilot. Went through same thing with my boat. Bought an autopilot and I'll never be without it now. Some ballast up front might help.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a 36 volt motorguide xi5
that I use in conjunction with a merc 9.9 kicker on a 19 ft deep vee.. Propulsion with the kicker and steering with the motorguide. Usually get about 8 hrs. Have 3 bank on board charger which will charge batteries overnight. Set heading lock and good to go. Tied into my Lowrance Carbon you can travel a predetermined course or set cooordinates or waypoints to go to. This set up works great in waves up to about 3 feet. Anything bigger than that you shouldnt be out in a 19 ft boat anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

• 1 month later...