Fish Hawk TD on dipseys?

I don't have a Fishhawk X4, etc, only a TD.  I don't connect it to anything.  I run the line I want to check depth on like normal, then when line out and speed are correct, I clip the TD to the line and let it slide down.  Leave for a minute or 2 and then bring the line in to check how deep it was running.  I try to run the TD just before pulling a line for a lure change or whatever, so I'm not bringing the line in twice (esp. dipseys!).

I think attaching the TD will affect the dive rate and you won't get accurate data.  I've used it on dipseys, copper and leadcore so far and it seems to work great.

Edited by Crayfish
  • Like 2

I don't have a Fishhawk X4, etc, only a TD.  I don't connect it to anything.  I run the line I want to check depth on like normal, then when line out and speed are correct, I clip the TD to the line and let it slide down.  Leave for a minute or 2 and then bring the line in to check how deep it was running.  I try to run the TD just before pulling a line for a lure change or whatever, so I'm not bringing the line in twice (esp. dipseys!).

I think attaching the TD will affect the dive rate and you won't get accurate data.  I've used it on dipseys, copper and leadcore so far and it seems to work great.
Any issues when using it with leadcore or copper? I wanted to buy one to check how deep my leadcores were running but decided against after learning that they timeout after 45 seconds. I dont think I can get the longer cores out in under 45 seconds to get an accurate reading.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

4 hours ago, Crayfish said:

Cray;

good method for using the TD!  I attached my TD to my junk rods, & recorded achieved depth at 50, 100, 150, 200, 250, 300' for each of them, & this has worked well for me.

good luck

John

Thanks crayfish I never thought about doing it that way looks like the way to go

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One thing Crawfish do you ever think it might not slide all the way to the dipsey for some reason maybe flies on the line?Another thing a guy said they time out in 45 sec is that true?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I haven't seen a timeout issue, that I know of.  Using it as I described, I don't think that would be an issue.  The clip on the TD Is pretty big so it seems to slide pretty easily over knots, swivels, etc.  Just make sure it won't slide over a spoon or whatever you have on the end of the line!  I almost lost it last year ... just caught the hooks on the spoon!

I haven't tried it with heavy fleas.  I did try it on copper (300) and dipseys last fall on Lake O and didn't have any issues.  I use it all the time on Champlain for checking temp at depth.  I hook it to a downrigger and let it down to the bottom and then retrieve it to find the temp break.  I wouldn't hook it anything and leave it out, though.  It will mess with the dive rate.

Fishmaster : You let the cores out as far as you want first, then hook the TD to the line and let it slide down.  That way you don't have to worry about how long it takes to get the lines out.

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Crayfish said:

I haven't seen a timeout issue, that I know of.  Using it as I described, I don't think that would be an issue.  The clip on the TD Is pretty big so it seems to slide pretty easily over knots, swivels, etc.  Just make sure it won't slide over a spoon or whatever you have on the end of the line!  I almost lost it last year ... just caught the hooks on the spoon!

I haven't tried it with heavy fleas.  I did try it on copper (300) and dipseys last fall on Lake O and didn't have any issues.  I use it all the time on Champlain for checking temp at depth.  I hook it to a downrigger and let it down to the bottom and then retrieve it to find the temp break.  I wouldn't hook it anything and leave it out, though.  It will mess with the dive rate.

Fishmaster : You let the cores out as far as you want first, then hook the TD to the line and let it slide down.  That way you don't have to worry about how long it takes to get the lines out.

Good luck!

Total brain fart on my part.  It never occurred to me to use it that way.  My thoughts were to get rid of my longer cores and just switch to 5 color cores with snap weights ans long as i could determine the running depths with different lengths of backer out. Thanks

Unfortunately I have not had much success with the TD..I would reset it send it down...reel back up and every time it would read a different depth with same conditions..line out etc.  I sold it and.I ended up investing in a smart troll system. It is real time at the dipsey...rigger etc. Real game changer for me. Might be worth a look. The owner is a super nice guy and real helpful.