Turkey loads?

Been using winchester long beard XR 3.5” #5 from my mberg 835 the past two seasons with great success. Pattern great out to about 50 or so, never killed a bird outside of 40 though. IMG_0014.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

O man.... This can go on and on , but for the performance and price per round can't beat LBxr. Best pattern for me and u get 10 in a box. YouTube videos I watch , LBxr is the best with tss being 2nd most of the time. I just don't see spending more money and getting 5 shells less for tss. IMG_20200415_085926.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

XR 3.5 5's. Versamax with Jellyhead choke. I downed a bird at 63 a few years ago. Up front, it was the last day and the last hour so I took the first chance I had. This a very,very tight patterning setup so I put a vortex 1moa red dot on. I have shot out to 70 with amazing results.

For the record, I love killing Tom's inside 30 yards and it's always the "plan". Nice to feel confident though.

On 4/15/2020 at 9:09 AM, longspurs said:

O man.... This can go on and on , but for the performance and price per round can't beat LBxr. Best pattern for me and u get 10 in a box. YouTube videos I watch , LBxr is the best with tss being 2nd most of the time. I just don't see spending more money and getting 5 shells less for tss. IMG_20200415_085926.jpeg

This is interesting I dont have the pics of my targets anymore but tss loads(#7) added about 15 yards and close to 50 bb's in the kill zone of my mossberg 12 gauge compared to the lbxr. Unfortunately that gun and 2 others along with 3 brand new chain saws "fell" out of the back of the moving truck between New York and florida when we moved. Get some seriously shady people when you hire a moving company! Anywho my 4 day season just ended on sunday down here but managed to get my first bird, just a young one but beats last year all 4 days never saw or heard a turkey. Only thing I dont like down here is damn snakes are like IED you literally have to watch every step you take 

20200416_095805.jpg

Screenshot_20200418-230423_Video Player.jpg

40 minutes ago, Frogger said:

Snakes? Ahh hell no. I’m out! lol. Congrats. Want always try it when we go down to visit family next to Ocala Forest. Thanks for letting know I would of been running through the woods screaming......

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I live in ocala. Shot this bird in ocala national forest. If you can ever get a quota permit for it when you come down it would be worth it. They have 4-4 day turkey hunts and give out 220 permits for each hunt. So 220 people have access to like 300,000 acres. I walked 30 miles during this hunt and never saw another hunter. I probably am more scared of snakes than most people you know. Literally have nightmares before but I wear snake boots and try not to think about them. If its gonna happen itll happen I guess. Love outdoors too much to sit inside 

That’s great! Turkey season is almost here, looking forward to pics and reports. Should be a lot of people out this year. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Took a ride to sportsman's Warehouse to grab some more turkey loads. Got some more LBxr 18.99 box of 10. TSS #9 shot 49.99 box of 5. "#9 shot is Illegal in New York for turkey but they had it anyways ". Would be nice to see more shells in #7 or #8 at least that's legal to shoot. IMG_20200421_102648.jpegIMG_20200421_102628.jpegIMG_20200421_102704.jpegIMG_20200421_102709.jpeg

I don't see the idea behind the small shot. Sure you may get a lot of small holes in paper at 50 yards but you aren't going to penetrate the bones of a turkey head and neck with 9 shot at that distance or further. Besides isn't the point of hunting turkey to try and outsmart the bird with the brain the size of a peanut and call them in close. Shooting turkeys at extreme distance is the equivalent of sky busting waterfowl.  Learn to be even a moderately competent caller and get the birds inside 50yd.

Don’t buy the Winchester double x they are bad look at the boxes , bought a box half the shells were bad and they won’t let you return them, happened to me last weekend , they  were going to take them down but looks like they didn’t, they said they would discount if I bought another box but couldn’t take them back , so I grabbed long beard instead of the double x they did discount them at 100% but made me take the bad ones, but I had to complain very much to get them to do it, check the shells before buying 

5 hours ago, Andiamo Outdoors said:

I don't see the idea behind the small shot. Sure you may get a lot of small holes in paper at 50 yards but you aren't going to penetrate the bones of a turkey head and neck with 9 shot at that distance or further. Besides isn't the point of hunting turkey to try and outsmart the bird with the brain the size of a peanut and call them in close. Shooting turkeys at extreme distance is the equivalent of sky busting waterfowl.  Learn to be even a moderately competent caller and get the birds inside 50yd.

I may agree on you with certain aspects of what you said but to each there own if people want to hunt with it it's there call. I will disagree on the small hole idea its well documented that small shot even at extreme distances still Carrie's the kinetic energy down range so will absolutely penetrate more consistently. Stuff is a game changer no doubt either embrace it or stay old school but no one can deny the data.