2020 walleye season nears...what's new?

justtracytrolling

Every season I start off opening weekend with a few buddies before my trips start.  This year with social distancing that's not an option so I thought I'd try something new that I just never seem to find time to do...fly fishing at night for walleye!  Anybody else trying something new and interesting? 

• Like 2

New for me....I'm doing opening weekend on Lake Erie if weather permits. I go out every year on I-Bay and I'm usually 50/50 on getting a fish or not. My best opening night on I-Bay opening night was 2 eyes but one was my personal best on that body of water.  Usually it doesn't turn on until the 3rd week of May for me. I haven't fished eyes on Erie in over 20 years and even then it was just once on a charter with a buddy who was swapping an Erie eye charter for an Ontario trout/salmon charter. I got to tag on because we brought my boat and fished smallies on Erie the day prior. But...I can't do any worse than no fish here on I-Bay. So....I may actually violate my absolutely sacred and most tightly held religious conviction and...GASP....dredge (ooops....I meant to say troll) for Walleye!

I too usually don't have good fishing opening weekend and have to work for em and usually trolling.  This year I think it's gonna be a better start with the mild winter.  I'll probably do a little of everything just because I wanna get a feel for what's going on, but night casting is my favorite.  The Minn kota talon makes it so easy to fish on shore winds tight to shore so you can cast parallel, and as general rule that's where you wanna be when fishing shallow.  

I generally go to Bay Of Quinte for opening weekend and then hit Lisbon near Ogdensburg. Don’t believe either will be an option this year. Perhaps I’ll be able to hit Sackets , Black River Bay or Henderson area by then but to far to travel now. Plus us to fishing with 3 and running 8 lines on the lake and that won’t be happening. Maybe I can get my wife to go if the weather is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Exactly what I was thinking Kevin...if I have to troll its tough getting started on a pattern solo with 3 lines....but if it's nice weather Tracy will go and then I'm in business!!!  Either way I've been home so long that any walleye fishing I get to do will feel very therapeutic!  

I will work from home as long as I have a job. I will wear a mask if I have to buy groceries. I will (and did) reject my parents wishes to come over for Easter. I will be prudent and practical. However, I alone in my boat in the middle of the water imperils no one. I will not abide heavy-handed, disingenuous, and unconstitutional government dictates. The only thing keeping me off the water will be the weather.

• Like 2

I'm not going to break the law but alone in the middle of the night seems safe if you don't have to travel.  Who knows where we will be in 15 days, but I've been 100% at home for weeks and if i have a legal, safe option I'm going walleye fishing.... certainly can't see how they can make shore fishing illegal on private property with no travel whatsoever.

Problem is, it’s not the law. Laws are deliberated over and passed by a legislature and then signed by an executive with a judiciary to check the power of the previous two. A governor’s dictate that can’t receive oversight by a legislature or a judiciary because they’ve been forced into recess and sent home by yet another governor’s dictate is illegitimate.  Government governs “by the consent of the governed”. Mostly, that’s through elections but it’s also through our willingness and cooperation, such as wearing masks, maintaining six feet, opting out of gatherings of various sizes. I do not consent to a dictate telling me that I, somehow, am working against the public interest or public health by launching my boat and going fishing by myself. No good explanation has been provided to justify such a decree nor has any science been provided to back it up either.

Edited by bosco
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, wishinfishin said:

What'd new...... seems like I wont be on the st lawrence for the opener since it looked though New York extended the pause.
And I'm from Pa so........

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Isn’t the Susquehanna an early season hotbed?

Edited by bosco
Wrong spacing

I wouldn’t be so quick to rule out the Larry. If you can establish a contact by your launch site (or others nearby) to let you know if any launches are open, you might still be in business.

For all of my bravado, I just went down and checked my local launch and it’s still open and collecting launch fees via kiosk. Technically it’s a county park, signage indicates code enforcement is carried out by town police, but it accepts my NYS Empire Pass so maybe they just haven’t decided yet which government agency is responsible for putting up the barricades.

Edited by bosco
misspell

Cool article!  I used to do it at the spillway in Whitney point in the 90s with clousers.  I've done it on Otisco a little, but have never found the right fly to make it worthwhile.  I have no prob with a spin rod and I don't normally have the free time to be ineffective.  This fly has potential!  

image.thumb.jpeg.6f07b9b68d8e04c9f7ba1ebeb0f870b4.jpeg

this fly works real well for them in the river but it’s heavy and pita to cast...not much different than casting a jig at that point.  I’m super bummed about not being able to get my boat in the water for the opener...been preparing for it since ice out.  Guess it will be waders and headlamps for me this year.