2020 walleye season nears...what's new?

justtracytrolling

Yeah I have a customer I guide for tigers who makes articulated flies that work but I can cast them on a spin rod....I don't see the point in that....plus I'm getting old! Lol. I have several different custom flies coming with the suede paddle tail and i know how well paddle tails work on Otisco.  Where are you out of jomat?  

I live in Corning ny.  So I fish the chemung and Susquehanna for bass, walleye, muskie out of my drift boat.  I’m not much of a fly fisherman but one of my good buddies is and he makes me throw his bug rods whenever we take the driftboat down the river together.

ive also got a 17.5 alumacraft that I drag around the state for walleye, salmon, and trout.

The first time I talked to you on Otisco I caught a Walleye on a fly right after you left. Still the only one I have ever caught after three years of fishing the lake 1 to 4 days a week. That being said I am never trying to Catch them.

My goal this year is to build more confidence fishing deeper water.

long time ago, 10 15 years, I was fishing the canal at Sylvan Beach, there was a old guy who was flyfishing for eyes. He was kinda jigging the edge of the canal, fly looked like a single white feather, curved, maybe 2" long, less than 1/2" wide, maybe even 1/4". Not sure if it had weight up front of the feather. He would jig it real slow right at our feet. He was crushing eyes with this. It was fun to watch. He gave a buddy of mine one to try on his spinning rod. He didn't have any luck, it definitely took certain touch.

4 hours ago, Tyrrell said:

The first time I talked to you on Otisco I caught a Walleye on a fly right after you left. Still the only one I have ever caught after three years of fishing the lake 1 to 4 days a week. That being said I am never trying to Catch them.

My goal this year is to build more confidence fishing deeper water.

Fishing deeper is tough mentally because you can't "see" what you are fishing.  I stay pretty committed to the outside edge of the weedline for tigers.  15-20 fow especially if there is structure which basically is anywhere except the north end.  I'm not saying there aren't plenty of fish to be had around docks and the inside of the weedline.  The difference is there are tons of things that influence your success tight to shore that you don't control, such as bass tournaments, swimmers, shore fishing, etc.  Move out to 15-20 fow and the fish aren't as pressured and nobody is in your way.  Also just because you are in deep water doesn't mean you have to fish deep.  The biggest tiger I've guided on the fly came on cast away from the weedline into 30+ fow.  

1 hour ago, UglyStik said:

long time ago, 10 15 years, I was fishing the canal at Sylvan Beach, there was a old guy who was flyfishing for eyes. He was kinda jigging the edge of the canal, fly looked like a single white feather, curved, maybe 2" long, less than 1/2" wide, maybe even 1/4". Not sure if it had weight up front of the feather. He would jig it real slow right at our feet. He was crushing eyes with this. It was fun to watch. He gave a buddy of mine one to try on his spinning rod. He didn't have any luck, it definitely took certain touch.

Walleye fishing usually takes a certain touch... especially away from Oneida!  I remember my first attempts at walleye fishing came in 1982 in Sylvan beach watching guys fish as you are describing but jigging on spin tackle.  Those guys didn't help me a bit...I was 11.  Did catch a to  of perch in the canal though!  Ended up getting my first walleye that summer in row boat out from Verona beach on a nightwalker drifting...

The walleye are stocked by boat on the pond side from the campground every other year.  The region 7 guys found us walleye on the off year last time and will be trying to do so in the future.  Tigers are stocked in the main lake primarily at the launch and some at the county Park.  Trout go in the main lake at the launch I think.  Walleye can be caught all the way around the lake.

I know a percentage return to the pond side to spawn, but no successful spawning happens in the muddy water there.  There is successful spawning that happens in the main lake and there are many areas that see consistent returns.  Most of the spots where they return aren't successful though.  The few spots where they are successful I keep to myself and I don't fish those areas early in the season.  Basically during daylight in the beginning of the season walleye will hold from part way down the drop offs around 30 fow to up on the flats in 16-18 fow.  At night they are at the tops of the drop offs and shallower.  The fish on the flats are far easier to catch than ones down over the drop off.

New things for me
Fishing alone hopefully in a boat
Only able to get worms from the yard
Can’t sleep, pee or poop at my parents house on the water

Might need a tent heater n bucket

Hope the docks and hoist still go in lucky each section is over 6’, even if its before the water gets too high.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

One week to go. Sharpening hooks, tuning stick baits, charging boat batteries, and generally doing what I can to scratch the itch until showtime. Weather does NOT look promising. I see my Arctic Armor ice suit getting an opening night workout.

My boat is in the water!  Weather looks good for Tuesday to open up my fishing shed and at least one of my RVs.  Don't really need more than my winter tackle for opening night, but I'll be ready.  I don't put away my winter fishing suit till summer and I plan on wearing it!  Hopefully, fresh fish is just a week away!

Been watching the forecast for the last 12 days and I've never seen such a dismall looking long range outlook budge so little. That being said, I think Erie's out for the opener. I can handle cold. I can handle rain. But a 16' semi-v hull that's surfing in stiff and steady west winds in the middle of the night might not be the wisest option for me. I always nicknamed my boat the "Finger Lakes Special" and now I meekly plan my retreat to the safety of said lakes (or maybe Chautauqua). Kinda bummed but I'm still confident I'll get out and get a couple eyes in the box.

On 4/15/2020 at 11:23 AM, justtracytrolling said:

Every season I start off opening weekend with a few buddies before my trips start.  This year with social distancing that's not an option so I thought I'd try something new that I just never seem to find time to do...fly fishing at night for walleye!  Anybody else trying something new and interesting? 

I have started Jig tying.  This is my first attempt.  I found a squirrel tail last year, kept it and used that.  May try it out next week on crappie and perch. 

Jig making.jpg

Good luck all. Stay safe.

Usually be scouting by now, but hope for the am.

Water too high for docks and hoist, plus the yard is too soggy to launch. Gov says we shouldn’t sleep or poop at my parents.

New to think about a three rod spread. Last time I fished solo was two rods.

Last resort will be fishing from shore.

Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app