2020 walleye season nears...what's new?

justtracytrolling

Sticks. I had my brother out with me and I was doing a little more captaining than fishing myself and I wanted him to have a good night so I wasn't trying to finesse them but rather have him throw a face full of trebles at them. In fact, I only got one and that was trolling early.  He got 4 casting and he's not used to getting even an Ontario limit so we left happy.

• Like 1

Tough night. Only 2. 18" & 22". First one didn't come until 1:15 AM. It really surprised me because water temps were up 5 degrees from last week and I was marking lots of fish in some of the typical spots. I actually saw 2 other boats out. One trolling and one casting in close and he was on my 90% spot. I mean RIGHT on it. Nearly 15 years I've been fishing that Bay and I've never seen anyone else working that area. I would've been pissed except I thought it was probably Devo's kid and Devo's helped me with a lot of info over the years. It's gotta pick up soon. Tonight was definitely an anomaly compared to this time in years past.

• Like 1

Hey Bosco. If it was us, you could have come over and joined us but unfortunately, it wasn't us.

We were out during the day on Saturday and picked up a few trolling but nothing serious.

….Now, for the next four nights you may see the FV "Bottomfeeder2.0" out there!

We are chomping at the bit for that night bite. Good luck and be safe.

dEv-0

weye.jpg

Edited by devoknevo

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2020 at 11:39 AM, justtracytrolling said:

Normally a big walleye hookset leads to loose hooks in torn mouth, but you just are hooking them deep in the hard roof...just watch a bass fisherman and do that you seldom ever loose a fish and you will struggle to get the jig out!  No wimpy rods and braid!

I miss fishing with you Justin.  I am glad you are posting.  I call this "Vicariously".  Thank you!

I am not sure your set ups but I was dropping a lot of fish with mono drop shotting. I changed to superslick main with a ~6-10 ft flouro Seagur and it improved greatly my hook up to land ratio.  It is so good that I just reel perch, bluegill, and crappie.  All of the give is on a light rod and zero stretch in the line.  I have not yet fished your Keitechs yet but will give them a try.  I just haven't felt like turkey hunting or fishing this year with current climate - that's a big first for me.

6 hours ago, devoknevo said:

Hey Bosco. If it was us, you could have come over and joined us but unfortunately, it wasn't us.

We were out during the day on Saturday and picked up a few trolling but nothing serious.

….Now, for the next four nights you may see the FV "Bottomfeeder2.0" out there!

We are chomping at the bit for that night bite. Good luck and be safe.

dEv-0

weye.jpg

Thank you. Even if it was you I would’ve given you your space. I’ve got a few go to spots and I always need a nudge to get off them and make sure I’m finding/learning new spots. Anyways, when that boat left I let it settle for about an hour and went over and that’s when/where I picked up the two. I think I’ll be back out tonight though. When I’m not getting fish I want to get out there until I do and when I’m getting fish I don’t want to leave a good bite. It’s like a 2 sided curse.

• 2 months later...

It's been fun over here all summer!  Absolutely no idea if it's gonna be plugs or spoons or even what depth!   I put a dozen lines out and let the fish pick!  I pulled some really good fish on the new deep taildancer 13s.  If you are looking for a big fish lure I don't think I've caught a fish under 7lbs on one yet

• Like 1

I was recovering from surgery all of July. I just got out for the first time last week and did pretty good. 7 on the night between 2 guys. Went out again Wednesday and worked harder to get 4.  All after dark.

It's been fun over here all summer!  Absolutely no idea if it's gonna be plugs or spoons or even what depth!   I put a dozen lines out and let the fish pick!  I pulled some really good fish on the new deep taildancer 13s.  If you are looking for a big fish lure I don't think I've caught a fish under 7lbs on one yet

Are they available in the USA now? Last I checked they were $25 from poland

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

Any I bay status?

Hi Devo, Bosco... any success lately. Thinking about going out. Things have been pretty inconsistent on Erie this summer. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I caught 4 eyes Tuesday on IBAY jigging 20-35 fow. Starting to get better but still inconsistent here too

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reports guys. Sounds like they are still there if you put in the effort. I will report if I get out soon.

Nice return Bosco. Glad you are back out and catching.

Nice work leadhead. Jigging is hard to beat for the excitement of feeling them hit.

Justin, thanks for the TDD 13 suggestion. I plan to try them on Owasco in 2 weeks.