2020 walleye season nears...what's new?

justtracytrolling

On 8/14/2020 at 10:11 PM, leadhead said:

Are they available in the USA now? Last I checked they were $25 from poland

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I picked up a few dozen last year from Europe and they were expensive but not quite $25 a piece.  It is my understanding that Rapala has no intention of releasing them any time soon in the USA.  I wouldn't be surprised if CNY tackle has more of em for sale.  I could part with a few but regardless of what I paid I'd want enough to replace them.  I pretty much have a lifetime supply of every lure I use 

I know a very different action from the tail dancers but I have been crushing big fish on Erie on the dhj14’s.  Billed as a cold water bait with a subtle action but I have still been getting bit on them in the hot water out there this July/August.  For 10-15$ u can get the customs from warrior, but purple glass perch has been pretty much the only one I’ve needed.

• Like 1

Tdd11s are identical just smaller.  The 11s are a fine lure and my best walleye have come on them historically.  If you can put your hands on 13 s for $20 having 1 or two is well worth it.  I've caught a couple thousand walleye here and no bait I've used is comparable.  I have a ton of the new 14s but deep hjs just won't pull any fish here this season.

• 2 months later...

Well the season is winding down for me, but I had my best year yet on the lake and the river for that matter.  I have a bunch of fish at three different taxidermists for myself and others so by any measurement it was highly successful fishing every single month with late August thru September being the best.  That being said the fishing is still solid, but water levels are treacherous in less than 8 fow.  When the lake was raised by 2 different dam projects there were stumps left and some are 6 feet tall  along the north side of the causeway and there are plenty of them in the marina on the main lake.  The campground launch is basically unusable unless you have a pontoon and a sissor trailer.  The new state launch I haven't tried or seen used to know but the causeway cut is very shallow and people have hit going through because they didn't know how shallow it was and they didn't know where it's deepest.  I only use a trolling motor in any of these areas and keep my big motor way up, but it's still tough if you don't have imaging and don't where you have to be extra careful.  there are a bunch of sunken hoists and moorings that have been moved by ice and some are definitely in play.  I'm gonna try to fish the rest of the week because the rain has stopped working he bleeding even though levels haven't rose at all yet.  If anybody wants to get out with me for a trip they better get on it!!!  Hope everyone had an enjoyable season....I know I did and I spent more days and hours on the water than ever before.   I'll have Shane check my hours on my motor, but I definitely went over a thousand hours since July, in which case I'm over 5000 hours on this motor so I guess I'd better think about a new one again pretty soon.

• Like 2