Muzzleloader recommendations

Hachimo

With Lake Ontario fishing on hold, I’m  spending alot of time scoutin new areas for next years hunting. I never hunted with a muzzleloader until this years after christmas flintlock season cause I blew a shot at a slammer buck in a swamp 7 miles off the beaten trail durring the rifle season. (Clean miss my first made me sick)

I’m a bear hunter first then deer. Something about tunneling trou rodos in a swamp after bear really gets my blood pumping. Here in PA, last year they opened an early muzzleloader season for bear, even sooner then archery. That time there still on oak and hickory ridges. With lots of time scouting chances of shooting bear increase. 
  So I’ve been lookin into the CVA Paramount or remington ultimate muzzleloader. Lookin for something to reach out 200yrd. Muzzleloaders came along way. Did lots of research on these two and 400yrds is even possible. They are pricey thou.  Any opinions of other muzzleloaders I should maybe look into?

10 minutes ago, Fishsteelers said:

I've got a sweet Cabela's 45 cal. flintlock with all supplies I'd give ya a sweet deal on if you're interested. 

Appreciate it but I have a flintlock and definitely dont want another. Lol. I Couldn’t hit a bus at 50 yrds nevermind a bear at 100:swear:

The cva accura v2 is more in my pricerange and have respectable ballistics with  recommended loads. My number 1 issue, whatever I buy I have to buy 2. The wife hunts as well. Are u guys shooting the 50 or 45 cal out of ur cva’s?

Savage r tough to find thou n pricey. From what I read they stopped manufacturing in 2010. Found 2 used ones on armslist for 1000-1200. Also read an article that said they had issues with safety.  Gun still firing with saftey on, but that was probly a one gun issue or something. 

17 hours ago, Missdemeanor said:

I have a Savage 10ML2... Simply awesome!!! They are really hard to find, but totally worth it... Smokeless kick A$$ ... Knockem to the dirt goodness...

Sent from my VS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

X2...I have 2 of them and I'd never use anything but a smokeless powder muzzleloader ever again.  No safety issues or any other issues for that matter.  

I have a Thompson Pro Hunter 50 cal with BDC scope and it’s as accurate as my rifles. I shoot 3 pellets and shock wave bullets and it has dropped everything I’ve shot at. Also can use with different barrels. I also have a couple New England Firearms that work well for little money but ignition system isn’t quite as nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use to own the cva accura v2 that was an awesome rifle. but it got stole from me. I also have a tc encore thats a great gun. but I just bought a new cva accura 45 caliber long range with the 30" barrel with the nitride finish from cva.com for only 430.00. I would recommend this gun to you. power belt also makes a long range bullet thats awesome for it. if you want 50 caliber cva makes this rifle in 50 caliber for the same money.

After really looking at the cva accura v2. I’m leaning towards it. I could get two for the price of a parimount(which I have to buy two). I like the bergera barrel. Also it comes in 45cal. I havent gone trou ballastics and loads yet. I want to be comfortable shooting 150-200 yrds out with it and I’m sure the smaller bullet gets out there a lil further. Thanks for the input. 

10 hours ago, Hachimo said:

After really looking at the cva accura v2. I’m leaning towards it. I could get two for the price of a parimount(which I have to buy two). I like the bergera barrel. Also it comes in 45cal. I havent gone trou ballastics and loads yet. I want to be comfortable shooting 150-200 yrds out with it and I’m sure the smaller bullet gets out there a lil further. Thanks for the input. 

I shoot Blackhorn 209 powder, 45 caliber Hornady FTX bullets, MMP sabots (I don't remember the size off hand) and CCI magnum primers out of my Accura V2.  I have shot 11 deer with the gun, powder, and bullet combo in 4 years and 10 dropped in their tracks and the one made it 40 yds and dropped in sight. 

Edited by GAMBLER

Just about any decent muzzleloader will perform well to 200 yards, and yes some will group fine out to 400yds.  The questions are do you want to clean a rifle that doesn't use smokeless powder and do you want spend 10x the cost for powder.  Smokeless powder is non corrosive, easy to clean, and a fraction the cost.  Yeah the gun is expensive...they were under $600 bucks new when they came out and sell for a $1000 now....black powder guns do not hold their value.

3 hours ago, sherman brown said:

I didnt get a light bullet but chose the new 280 grn power belt bullet thats longer and more pointed than other bullets. they are made for long range. these in front off 100 or 150 grns would be deadly out to 200 yrds and beyond.

Any issues with the power belts?  I had zero blood trail on good hits (luckily they didn't go far),the bullets fragmented and made a mess. 

28 minutes ago, sherman brown said:

I haven't tried these bullets on game yet. but they are wicked looking and shooting at targets.

They were very accurate but like I stated before, blood trails sucked and the bullets fragmented,  The one doe I front should shot broadside.  I found fragments in the hindquarters.  Another I shot, the bullet fragments and all came out in little pieces.  It looked like multiple .22 holes on exit.  Very little blood.  The Hornadys I shoot now mushroom out perfectly and drop them. 

6 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

They were very accurate but like I stated before, blood trails sucked and the bullets fragmented,  The one doe I front should shot broadside.  I found fragments in the hindquarters.  Another I shot, the bullet fragments and all came out in little pieces.  It looked like multiple .22 holes on exit.  Very little blood.  The Hornadys I shoot now mushroom out perfectly and drop them. 

i'll have to give them a try and see how they do for me as I bought 4 packs for practice and 2 more for the hunt. now I need the deer to cooperate, lol. good luck and good hunting gambler.

9 hours ago, sherman brown said:

i'll have to give them a try and see how they do for me as I bought 4 packs for practice and 2 more for the hunt. now I need the deer to cooperate, lol. good luck and good hunting gambler.

You too! 

If you really want a muzzleloader that will shoot 200+ yards id suggest you look into the smokeless world.. will blackhorn 209 or pellets get ya to 200? Sure it will but there is way better options... search jeff hankins or hankins custom rifles he converts cva scouts into smokeless muzzleloaders.. hes got alotta youtube vids of the cva scouts and his custom bolt builds.  I wouldnt suggest the paramount as the ignition system leaks and can possibly cause misfires which custom builders have built a replacement ignition for as for the rem ultimate.. if you shoot the pellets your fine but the breechplug is getting gas cut with guys shooting blackhorn.. custom builders also building replacement breech plugs to fix the .. watch some youtube videos of what these guns can do and see if thats something that fits into what your lookin for... for me it was a no brainer living in a shotgun only county of ny i needed something to reach out into the corn and bean fields.. any questions feel free to pm me and ill point ya in the right direction