Thoughts on the New Trout and Salmon Stamp proposed BY NY.

C'mon guys its the same music with different lyrics.

Raise the taxes on Tabacco and Alchohol - few pay for the many

Raise County Taxes - few pay for the many

Mandatory licence plates on ATV's - few pay for the many

Homeowners pay school taxes - few pay for the many

Increase hunting and fishing licences - few pay for the many

Add a stamp to fish Salmom/Trout - few pay for the many

Fellow LOU memebers - if you do not hunt, fish, own an ATV, Own a House, drink or smoke do you care how many taxes increases there are or how much a stamp costs? Call your Senator or Legislator but they look at the vote count and if you are amoung the few forget about it. The only way you can be heard is if we all pull together as one voice through the media or protesting to the Leaders in the conservation department. We need to ask why the increase and where are our dollors going? Make sure if you call your Senator or Legislator you tell them they lost your vote but it needs to be done by numbers from every sportsman, through every fishing and hunting magazine and every sportmans club.

If each of us just go to your marina, sportsmans club, Launch sites and tackle shops and have a letter of protest there for everyone can sign and send a copy to your local Legislators, State Senators, Govenor and NYS Conservation dept. we may be heard.

My Opinion

Shade

I actually do not object to the increase.

NY has reasonable fishing license prices compared to some other states. We actually have a managed fishery that we all benefit from.

I am pretty sure that a bunch of states do not even close seasons around the spawn.

Enjoy what we have as many come from out of state.

RED

PS I expect to get assaulted for my position so feel free to wail away.

bigredmf,

There is not a fisherman out here that would pay IF the money was being used for Conservation. Since 1980 2.5 Billion dollars of Conservation monies have gone toward road repair. Every year this state drecreases the sale of hunting and fishing licences. The NYState Lottery was suppose to support road repair and education and every year less and less money is given to the schools. If these increases directly go to Conservation then I support it as well but an increase in the licence and a $10 stamp to fish Salmon and Trout. Next we will pay as much to register your boat as it does your car. I lived in Texas for several years and there is NO STATE TAX in Texas. A Hunting licence cost less than it does here and you hunt Archery from Sept until Nov. and Dear from the 1st Saturday in Nov. until the end of January. You also get 5 dear Tags (3 Bucks and 2 Doe) and 6 Turkey tags plus the small game. Their Licence tags have the same look as ours since the early 80's Remember we do not fish or hunt as much as most other states as well.

Sorry man but enough is enough.

Shade

RED-

Red, just to remind you, that I'm sure you are well aware of however. Those of us who travel to your state bring in outside resources to support the local communities. No one to my knowledge does it free gratis. Maybe some view that as not such a good thing, since it seems to come up quite often. Between the charters, hotels, restaurants, tackle shops, grocery stores etc-I would venture a guess that we who do travel, spend some much needed $'s to patronize those entities. Being a business man myself, I would think that those businesses would welcome the travel dollars.

I can also assure you that many travel to Pa. to deer hunt, black bear, along with steelheading in Lake Erie. I'm sure that those local businesses welcome them, esp during these economic tough times. This isn't about out of state VS instate. As stated IF the funds were going for conservation, I'm sure that most on here would pay many times over what they currently are. I know I would. But the $100,000 question is, is it going to be used for that? If things operate the same as in Pa, I have my druthers. -Duane

I just read through the Jan. 2009 meeting minutes from the NYS Conservation Fund Advisory Board. It appears that all proceeds from the Trout and Salmon stamp are going directly to the Main Conservation fund. What does that fund entirely, Not sure. I think it should be specifically distributed to the conservation and health of our trout and salmon fisheries.

Next year they will probably come up with a Bass Stamp.

bigredmf

I absolutely agree. If this increase it put forth on conservation measures, Then I would be for it. I don't mind investing in my kids and grandchildren's future in fishing/hunting.

Absolutely. +1

I have no issue with fees/taxes that go toward the purpose...but just like my registration on my ATVs which goes into the bottomless 'general fund' (before I realized you can register in PA as a non-resident), I think this is another money grab.

RED-

Red, just to remind you, that I'm sure you are well aware of however. Those of us who travel to your state bring in outside resources to support the local communities. No one to my knowledge does it free gratis. Maybe some view that as not such a good thing, since it seems to come up quite often. Between the charters, hotels, restaurants, tackle shops, grocery stores etc-I would venture a guess that we who do travel, spend some much needed $'s to patronize those entities. Being a business man myself, I would think that those businesses would welcome the travel dollars.

-Duane

Duane

Not sure why you thought I was attacking you and others for coming from out of state.

My point is that you come here to fish and spend more to do it here in NY.

Please continue fishing NY waters.

RED

Red, guess it was the way you worded it , when mentioned -enjoy what we have as many come from out of state. I took that as a dig towards the out of staters when worded that way. I think most on here at one time or another have done the same ( I know I have) when one puts up a thread and it didn't quite convey the way it should have and maybe offended someone. So if that was not your intent, accept my apologizes.- Thanks for clarifying-Duane