With opening of launches please use wisdom.

I was happy to see changes in the situation with access to launches. However, this brings about great responsibility to those choosing to use them. Please be extra cautious about social distancing, sanitation, masks, etc. We’re not over this pandemic by a long shot. I do believe if we follow the rules the risk of infection from launching is minimal.

That said if rules are not strictly followed or launches are seen as a point of infection they will again close down quickly. Also I personally believe we should not travel far from our home area for fishing access. This could increase the risk of exposing other or ourselves. Let’s all use good judgement.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 5

I was happy to see changes in the situation with access to launches. However, this brings about great responsibility to those choosing to use them. Please be extra cautious about social distancing, sanitation, masks, etc. We’re not over this pandemic by a long shot. I do believe if we follow the rules the risk of infection from launching is minimal.
That said if rules are not strictly followed or launches are seen as a point of infection they will again close down quickly. Also I personally believe we should not travel far from our home area for fishing access. This could increase the risk of exposing other or ourselves. Let’s all use good judgement.

Looks like Mother Nature has taken care of social distancing for the next few days lol

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well said Mr. Legg

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Let's not screw this up!  It would be great if parking lots were half full or less, but I have a feeling that's not gonna happen.  As far as travel goes I too think it should be minimized, but I'm realistic.  The boat launches aren't exactly population centers so people are gonna travel to fish... Oswego here they come!  I'm hoping by mid May we see charters as it's not like we are going to wait for a vaccine, test at a level to trace,  or agree to stay inside shut down like China!  

I think it will be important to give others the time and space at the docks to allow for social distancing.

Let one person finish,then slide in or out and try to be as quick as possible.  Be respectful of others

space and recognize people are trying to keep their distance.  We really can police ourselves with a little

effort and forethought.

Tight Lines

Edited by RWR1775
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RWR1775 said:

I think it will be important to give others the time and space at the docks to allow for social distancing.

Let one person finish,then slide in or out and try to be as quick as possible.  Be respectful of others

space and recognize people are trying to keep their distance.  We really can police ourselves with a little

effort and forethought.

Tight Lines

I have a launch with in archery range of my deck at the lake....most people struggle mightily with launching and loading and it's always crowded with impatient people.... pretty sure once it warms up it's gonna be just like always or worse...and if guys really go alone the launch and loading will be even slower.  

I love the idea, but I don't like to kid myself!

Agree with Justin. Perhaps the state would have done well to send out flyers on how to launch your boat in 2 minutes......not 10, like most do. Frankly its not much of an issue for fisherman as we get out early and/or use different launches than the masses for the most part. 

Keep at least six feet apart

No more than ten people total around any fish cleaning station. Clean your fish, take your photo, go away.

No truck tailgate parties or illustrious conversations of how great thou art lol. Put your boat in, pull your boat out..go home.

Limit the people on your boat.  I own a 23 foot boat. I should have no more than three people on board. I have a totally open bow. I also own a 40 foot double deck houseboat. I will have no more than 4 people on at any time.

Wipe your **** down! Lots of hard surfaces on these boats....use a disinfectant cleaner.

Charter boats.....The friends and family plan or medical employee essential worker excuse wont work. Its not worth risking your license. 

Be respectful of others regardless of where they come from. 

Wear a face mask of some sort.

Carry your garbage in, carry your garbage out. 

Edited by mrclean
  • Like 1

Totally get it and see that stuff myself.  At least early in the year it will mostly be fisherman, who seem to have more experience overall with their boats (generally speaking).  Good point about possibly seeing more people going solo.  Without experience that can be a struggle to do and to watch.  If there is a stronger wind 

or a bad direction for a particular launch it can be challenging to near impossible for a single person even with practice (especially loading) 

Tight Lines

Unless you do it every day or practice wind is a nightmare solo.  My first weekend of my life with a trailered boat Tracy and I saw so many couples screaming at each other I decided to learn to do it alone and sent her to use the restroom before we went out.  I still do it that way and don't want any help...same with docking. 

My trophy 2460 on my newer bunk trailer is awesome. 1 man job wind or not. My old roller trailer was a nightmare. I love early summer watchin people on speed/pleasure boats tryin to backup there trailer and try to launch at my local lake. Cracks me up. Granit I gotta sit 30min for someone to get the trailer in the water but I get a laugh out of it. By mid summer they get the hang of of it, until next spring. Lol. 

Hope everyone follows guidelines. I am not going to head to Ontario anytime soon because it is a 3 hr trip. Just hope local launches stay open. I want to be able to fish local. Hopefully later in summer I can make it out for a week. As much as I love fishing Ontario it is not worth the chance for me . Good luck guys and hopefully normal will return sooner than later. Give them hell guys 👍👍

5 hours ago, justtracytrolling said:

Let's not screw this up!  It would be great if parking lots were half full or less, but I have a feeling that's not gonna happen.  As far as travel goes I too think it should be minimized, but I'm realistic.  The boat launches aren't exactly population centers so people are gonna travel to fish... Oswego here they come!  I'm hoping by mid May we see charters as it's not like we are going to wait for a vaccine, test at a level to trace,  or agree to stay inside shut down like China!  

Not so sure about Oswego. Mayor Barlow shut down Wright's and International before Cuomo's order. I believe that included the launch. He also has a travel ban for Oswego the last I heard.

It's a shame, launches are opening back up and we have a group of people telling us how to live our life and how to fish, we have Cuomo to do that. Lets stop attacking each other and go fishing.

• Like 2

Roller trailers are not drive on or float on deals. Put your first roller under water and hook up your winch cable and start the bow on  the first roller . Winch the boat straight up on the trailer to the stop.  Trying to float it on  is the worst thing you can do.

• Like 1