Stupid mistake

after readin another topic I thought we could get some laughs out of my stupid mistake from a few years ago. 
funny story of launching my 25ft trophy for the first time. 

I bought my boat in the early winter so I had to wait till spring to finally get it in the water. Early march I got my chance but no docks were in at my local lake so I figured I can launch it like my 16ft boat and pull it up to shore. 
 I stopped short of the water while backin up and took off my backstraps and disconnected the winch cable and tied the bow to the trailer with alot of slack.  Thinkin Its gonna float off the trailer and as I pull up it will come to shore.  Lol. So stupid ,HUGE mistake. Got in the truck put it in reverse and before I moved the boat slid right off the roller trailer onto the ground 4 ft from waters edge:headbang:  the ramp had a decent pitch into the water. So theres no pushing a 4,000lb boat beached on land by hand. so disconnected my dually from trailer and put my spare tire inbetween front bumper and the bow and pushed it into the water. Then connected the trailer to truck and parked it. Noticed a PA fish commission truck sitting there watchin with binoculars laughing at us. Got back to the boat with my brother in law and they came over to us and first question “how much did u boys have to drink today?”  Lol. Told him “Nothin Yet, but after that I will be!” After bustin our balls for a while they left and we hit the lake. Boat ran great and then there was loading the boat:-(  got it up on the trailer no problem and hookEd up. Got in the truck and pulled it 100yrds to the parkin lot untill I noticed a scratch line behind me. Yup forgot to pick up the outdrive. 
So after all this nonsense And hrs of bondo work before painting and replacing outdrive I became a master of launching my 25ft trophy. 

• Like 4

I get a laugh at some people early season tryin to back-up and launch after gettin rusty trou winter. But I can say that cause years ago they got a laugh from me. After launching this thing a million times all over gods creation, I can launch it solo faster then some people launching a canoe. 
With launches opening again with social distancing, probly gonna be some delays at launches. Hopefully noone has this happen to them and tie a launch up for an hour.  Lol. 

X2...I've personally witnessed both of those feats several times each.  Had a guy in big cigarette boat with twin engines, jacked up truck, weight lifter type loading his boat across the way from me while I cleaned up my boat after a trip.  I realized after he drove the boat on and shut it off I didn't hear him  trim up so I turned around and hollered over to him.  He goes off on me before I can explain and says he knows what he is doing.  He jumps in and tears up the ramp...ruined both lower units and props!  If he was mad when I tried to help you should have heard him when his girlfriend said "maybe that's what that guy was trying to tell you".  We laughed and he left her there taking off without even strapping the boat down and never did trim up!

I work as a career firefighter. We have 6 boats. 4 career and 2 part time.
Couple of years ago same crew dumped the same boat of the trailer twice.
Supposed to be professional.[emoji31]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

after readin another topic I thought we could get some laughs out of my stupid mistake from a few years ago. 

I bought my boat in the early winter so I had to wait till spring to finally get it in the water. Early march I got my chance but no docks were in at my local lake so I figured I can launch it like my 16ft boat and pull it up to shore. 

I stopped short of the water while backin up and took off my backstraps and disconnected the winch cable and tied the bow to the trailer with alot of slack.  Thinkin Its gonna float off the trailer and as I pull up it will come to shore.  Lol. So stupid ,HUGE mistake. Got in the truck put it in reverse and before I moved the boat slid right off the roller trailer onto the ground 4 ft from waters edge:headbang:  the ramp had a decent pitch into the water. So theres no pushing a 4,000lb boat beached on land by hand. so disconnected my dually from trailer and put my spare tire inbetween front bumper and the bow and pushed it into the water. Then connected the trailer to truck and parked it. Noticed a PA fish commission truck sitting there watchin with binoculars laughing at us. Got back to the boat with my brother in law and they came over to us and first question “how much did u boys have to drink today?”  Lol. Told him “Nothin Yet, but after that I will be!” After bustin our balls for a while they left and we hit the lake. Boat ran great and then there was loading the boat:-(  got it up on the trailer no problem and hookEd up. Got in the truck and pulled it 100yrds to the parkin lot untill I noticed a scratch line behind me. Yup forgot to pick up the outdrive. 

So after all this nonsense And hrs of bondo work before painting and replacing outdrive I became a master of launching my 25ft trophy. 

I ‘m sure we all have a story but you were man enough to share[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks Kevin,

I’m thicked skin and really dont get my feelings hurt much. Love to laugh, especially at myself from time to time. With everything goin on today theres nothin better then a good laugh. 

• Like 1

I did similar with a 16 foot jon boat.

New bunks on , the slippery white runner's on it which was great vs the carpet bunks.

Me and s buddy ,duck hunting ,launching in the dark.

Took the straps and hook off , buddy was holding the rope.

Got in the truck, clinked into reverse, boat slipped off (steep ramp ).

Ok put it back on and launched . Got my lab in the boat and away we go in the salt water marsh.

Remember its dark , the dog wont settle or sit as usual, why you ask, well the boat was filling with water .

Cracked the weld where the transom met the bottom.

Continued hunting and kept pulling the back of boat up on the mud as the tide came up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

The first time I launched my first Whaler back in 1979 my dad was on the dock holding the rope and I backed in and slid the boat off and I pulled up the ramp and looked the the rear view mirror and my dad was waving frantically and I couldn't understand what he was yelling  and then I saw the boat filling with water yep....the usual forgot to put the plug in.

Last year at the Canandaigua launch a guy launched before me and motored out the canal toward the lake and just as I got my boat in the water I saw him running back in full tilt with t he back of his boat sinking.....kinda like deja vu:lol:

The best one was years ago at Sodus Point at the launch in back of the restaurant/tackle shop (Bob Chase's). I was waiting to come in and saw a good sized boat at the dock in front of me and a van backing slowly down the mossy ramp. He hooked the trailer up and started to pull out and his wheels started spinning and SLOWLY the van went backward into the water way past his axle. A guy nearby quickly jumped into his Jeep hooked up to the van and pulled the guy and boat out.....would have made a great ad for Jeep but not so much for the Chevy Astro van:lol:

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Just make sure you always put the plug in the right hole. My father in law had the letters NO in those vinyl mailbox letters over top of his livewell intake on his lund. He saw me look at the transom and came out with the story before i asked.

I helped a pair of guys who did the same thing while i was launching my friends boat at a reservoir. It was their first time launching. Im walking to our boat and while walking past look in this guys boat and see water welling up through an empty seat pedistal. He had no idea what was going on. I got him to put the bilge pump on and got his buddy to back the trailer back down. They were lucky and got it on the trailer just enough to pull it out enough to get.the drain hole out of the water then fix the plug.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

5 hours ago, Hachimo said:

I witnesses this exact this years ago at the Irondequoit Bay boat ramp.  It was a brand new StarCraft Islander.  First trip didn't go so well!  

OK....Years ago

New roller trailer...put buddy in boat because launch was shallow and no docks...going to back way in so he could back boat off.

Well, launch dropped off quicker than I thought. In 6 inches of water in my rearview all I can see are huge eyeballs as he hollers.

What did I do? 

PANICKED AND HIT THE BRAKES! You know the rest of the story.

Edited by Prof T
  • Like 1

Hi all yep I have had similar problems but my slip is across from the village launch on a buzzy weekend I just sit on the boat and watch people launching it's the best show to watch all day and I don't burn a drop off gas .

After years in the boat biz I've made  or been involved in plenty of blunders. Dropped a 26'  off the trailer and into the ditch on the side of Calkins Road once. Had a trailer break on me on 490 near Culver and dropped the boat onto the middle of the underpass. 

Moved a brand new 50' Regal and didn't notice the trailer tire rubbing on the hull, put a nice hole in the bottom. 

Best one of all time was in Fort Lauderdale, coming up on the toll booths I hit the brakes to stop and the tie-rod end of the truck broke.  Everything went sideways and I spun with the trailered boat behind me. Ended up blocking the booths during morning rush hour, heard a lot a colorful language!

Trailering to and moving in an out of boat shows in January - oh the stories we could tell. 

Everbody has a bad day eventually. You learn from it and come away a better boater. 

Best advice I can give, don't launch from an icy ramp. 

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Smth

Ok time to fess up.
Forgot to put in the plug several times and plugged the wrong hole once and ended up with wet feet.
Had Lund come off the trailer at the launch once. Fortunately it wasn’t difficult to get back on and no one was around.
I’ve backed into rocks and trees and wrecked several trailer light and damaged wheel guards. I’ve backed into my garage opening a couple times and damaged the trim.
Worst was when I thought I’d taken trailer off the hitch and tried to back my vehicle into my driveway unaware my boat was still hooked up. I ended up putting a kink in my trailer tongue which I had to have straightened. Once was backing into a steep launch and had a break line go and very nearly ended up in the water but fortunately emergency brake worked. Ended up driving home with only emergency breaks.
Oh yea even jackknifed a utility trailer and dented the trucks wheelwell.
Yep I’ve done them all.[emoji3]

It's ok Kevin...when you can catch like you do you get a pass!  Probably thinking about fishing or hunting to much!  Bout the only real dumb thing I've done was beach my boat and forgot the trolling motor was down!  Ordered a new one, moved up to 36v, and called it an upgrade not a mistake.  Fixed it for under a $100 a year later or so and sold it eventually.  

Man this is comforting to know I'm not by myself.

Once I launched at the State Park in Geneva before it was rehabed and it was in the Fall with the water low but very muddy. I backed the boat down the ramp further than usual due to the low water and all of a sudden I felt a hard thump from the trailer ...yup went to far and dropped off the concrete with the axle sitting off the concrete slab and the wheels suspended and the boat floating off the trailer.Got the boat off and tied up on other side of dock. My buddy and I tried to lift the trailer but the wheels and fenders of the trailer kept us from fully lifting it off the slab. Luckily there was a guy with a truck with hitch set up higher than mine so he was able to pull the trailer out.

Another good one a few years ago. Fishing the Canandaigua Derby  trailering from my home outside Canandaigua to Woodville to the launch early AM while half asleep and in a hurry. Left my 3 gal gas tank on the back of the boat unsecured but hooked up to the kicker. Got to the launch ramp about 12 miles away and got ready to launch the boat and getting the tie downs unfastened when I noticed my 3 gal. tank on the ground with a huge hole in it and gas coming from it. I had been dragging for who knows how long....and new kicker tank not easy to find (Tohatsu) with uncommon fittings....a few choice words muttered to myself and blew off that day while looking for new $100 tank.:lol:

Oh and lest I forget. the two jacks that I have replaced from failing to remember they were down when I left home with it in the down position and snapped the holding pins

Edited by Sk8man

A smart man learns from his mistakes 

A wise man learns from others mistakes. 

i’m glad I’m not the only one as well Sk8man.  Lol

Edited by Hachimo

2 years ago I watched a guy at irondequoit bay with a beautiful center console boat with twin 250s on it pull up and start getting his boat ready while waiting to launch when he started up his engines and let them warm up for about 15 minutes in the parking lot. That had to be the worse boat ramp mistake I ever seen

For those (and probably only those lol ) that have a roller trailer, it is possible to get boat back on trailer. It does take time if you are alone. WAY easier if you have a partner (or a the DEC Encon officer that jumped out of his truck as soon as he stopped laughing!) to help you. Back up trailer to touch bow, hook her back up. Winch tight till boat moves up an inch or 2, back up cpl inches, winch, repeat. When bow gets in air at big angle but won't go on trailer any more, have 5 or 6 people that have now gathered round to watch(and have too stopped laughing),help pull down on bow while you winch to get boat back on. Easy peasy. ROFLMFAO. I refuse to claim 1st hand knowledge how I know this works. :););)

BTW, the FIRST thing I did when it happened, was look around to see who saw. Cool nobody. Safe. Then DEC officer pulled up. LMAO. But he really was nice and ran right down to help!

Edited by hntnfsh00
  • Like 1

30 or so years ago i waist deep at the mexico launch IN mid APRIL with my hand against the drain to stop it while my father searched for the plug and the bilge pump caught up. That mistake was never repeated.

Fast forward to last year....im smarter right?....well not always. i let overly helpful friends i was fishing with distract me from my routine. The skeg on my new Yamaha 150 has a nice grind mark and chip out of it as a result of not tipping it up before started to pull the boat out. My fault for not following my own OCD launch procedure. Fortunately i generally pull the boat out slow and watch my side mirror and saw the boat move weird and stopped immediately. Every time i see that skeg it reminds me of the fool i was.

Best ever was pulling my driftboat from the salmon river Pineville launch in winter around 20 yrs ago. Ramp is icy and im backing down in reverse AND in 4wd and wearing my waders with korkers on. Mistakes galore. My buddy centers the boat on the ramp...i usually left it to the side until the wheels just kissed the water. I back down and hit the breaks...truck slips...anti locks kick in and the break pedal pushes in and my wader boot clips the gas. Trailer pushes into the boat and off she goes ghost ridin in the pineville pool. I throw the truck i gear...floor it up and onto the bridge....leave the truck and trailer up on the bridge while i break my neck running down a snow bank.....wade out up to my tits and manage to grab the boat by one finger before she was off down the rapids. Probably my worst stupidity moment and best luck of my life at the same time

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Fat Trout