Hardtop Overhang Ideas

dt5150

hey guys. i'm kicking some ideas around for an overhang on my hardtop. the aft/back edge of the top ends or stops directly above the backs of my seats. why they designed it this way, i'll never know but it's not a good design. water from the roof drips down onto the seats, or onto you if you're sitting in it, and it would also provide more shade if it were longer.

ideally, i would like it to be removable if possible so i can use the rocket launcher if i need to (hardly ever use it). and, i would prefer something other than fabric. the top itself is aluminum so aluminum would be fine. i'd also be fine with fiberglass or starboard.

i expect this would be something i would likely have to make myself. money it tight as always, and with this kung-flu crap a lot of shops are either closed or have minimal support. right now, i'm brainstorming some type of brackets attached to the outside (2 per side perhaps for support purposes). then, a piece of starboard (would be the easiest for me to work with) with brackets attached to it that would slide inside the brackets attached to the top. then use pins or something to secure it and possibly some set screws to tighten down to prevent rattling and snug things up. another thought i have is using tubing, mounted horizontally to the top, then attach smaller tubing to the starboard piece that would slide inside the tubing mounted to the top. then pin/set screw secure.

i think i'll likely have to mate or fit the starboard to the back vertical edge of the top since the top surface of the roof has a bit of a ridge to it down the center with a slight slope down to the sides. a bit of a crown you could say. trying to make a piece of starboard fit that contour would be pretty hard.

what do you guys think? any other inexpensive, relatively simple ideas? here's some pics of the top. thanks!

20200420_105718.jpg

20200420_105739.jpg

yeah they are. i got a price on one of em, $3600 plus shipping!! uh.. no thanks.

i found a decent price on a sheet of starboard so i've got that coming. i'll need to source some stainless or aluminum tubing and other odds and ends. i've got a fairly simple design sketched out so i'll see how it goes.

thanks, ordered the tubing and some elbows from sailrite. nice to be able to order short lengths! all the other hardware is on the way too. so is an ez-steer.. need to improve my kicker steering, big time. so she's back home and out of the water for a little while for upgrades.

slight change in plans.. materials actually.

i ordered that sheet of starboard over a week ago and just yesterday i get an email from the company (boatid.com) that it is too large for ups shipment, so they canceled my order. gee thanks.. that could've been useful info a week ago when i ordered it! i looked online some more, and can order a sheet, but shipping kills it. $200-250 in shipping costs.. nope. i also called a couple local marinas that can order it, but they were both really expensive, around $600. nope... so, i went to lowes and bought a sheet of 3/8" pvc for $79. it's not my first choice, but we'll see how it works out.