Henderson / Stony Creek 2020

Howdy all,

Shakedown trip for me today. Launched from Henderson around noon into a 5-10 mph North breeze.

I trolled in the harbor from around Henchen’s, to Campbell’s Point. The water was crystal clear, so the catching was non-existent.

I took a ride, and went through the cut

, thinking that the open lake was going to be too much for the 19’ Starcraft. Wrong.

I set up with three rods, and headed south. A mini diver, a 2 core, and a one ounce snap weight. Stayed in 20’ or less. The water had a fair amount of color, but no real stain.

Trolled south for about a mile, took 3 fish, one on each rod. One on a blue dolphin, one a blue tux, and the third a fire tiger smith wick. Water was steady at 43.5*

I trolled back north through the same water, same lures, same rods- nothing.

All fish looked very similar, 22” footballs, and fought like champs. All went back for for,someone else.

It was nice to be out, and to have everything running well.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• Like 7

April 26- Skunk

Launched from Stony Creek about 10. Light wind from the north.

The guys in front of me went south, so I went north.

I trolled the crystal clear waters of Sawyers Bay and Rays Bay. I couldn’t find any type of color, so I picked up and made the short run to the lighthouse..

Trolled north in 10-30 fow past the pill boxes. Nothing. Didn’t see any of the other boats doing anything either.

Trolled across the trench to Stony Island. Had one rip on the rigger down 40’, but it didn’t stay glued.

Trolled the south side of Stony in 10-30 fow, but had no action.

Two others at the ramp said things weren’t happening for them either.

Beautiful weather, not so beautiful catching. Reading all the posts of the folks from the west end who found fish made it all the more frustrating.

Same for me yesterday , got out at 6am trolled from stoney creek to lighthouse didn't move a rod, made a run south to southwicks trolled south to a mile south of sandy creek mouth good color there but still not moving rods didn't see any of the other 5 boats move a net down there fishing inside of 20ft, moved out to 45-60' managed a couple lakers on slide divers and spoons down 40-45 or so , had a hard rip on diver down 30 and on a snap weight with # 11 flicker minnow , marks here and there mainly down 30-35' and on bottom, did Mark 2 small bait pods so thats a good sign...

• Like 1

Same for me yesterday , got out at 6am trolled from stoney creek to lighthouse didn't move a rod, made a run south to southwicks trolled south to a mile south of sandy creek mouth good color there but still not moving rods didn't see any of the other 5 boats move a net down there fishing inside of 20ft, moved out to 45-60' managed a couple lakers on slide divers and spoons down 40-45 or so , had a hard rip on diver down 30 and on a snap weight with # 11 flicker minnow , marks here and there mainly down 30-35' and on bottom, did Mark 2 small bait pods so thats a good sign...

Well boys pretty much the same further East. My grandson and I fished the north shore of Black River Bay Saturday. Water was 43-46 degrees. Ran spoons, sticks and crankbaits, trolled skinny out to 35’. Tried every color combo that normally produces. . . . .but not today !!!! 🦨

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been out two additional times with not much to report.

One occasion I headed south, made a pass from shallow to 80’ south of Drowned Island. Nothing.

Turned north, and picked up one 5 lb brown on the southern point of Sawyers bay.

5/19 I made another attempt , this time heading north through Sawyers Bay, and 1/2 of Rays bay with nothing touched. The water was crystal clear.

I pulled the set, and scooted to the lighthouse. Started heading out deeper into the trench, and began marking fish on the bottom at 100’. Moved the two riggers to the bottom, and picked up a small laker to get the skunk off.

After that it was quitting time.

From now on I think I’m gonna have to force myself to drive the extra 30 miles to the Mexico launch, or settle for lakers in the trench until the silver arrives.

On another note, I had a killer day out of Oswego on the 14th, and a so-so day out of Mexico on the 17th.

Enjoy this stretch of beautiful weather.

Rusty

• Like 1

Hit Black River Bay across from Sackets this morning. We were targeting walleyes but no success.

There were about 10 boats working water from 20-55 fow and we didn’t see a net moved. We did manage 3 pike and kept the two largest. Had a rip on another rod but we dropped it.

Nothing on the riggers and the lead cores were most productive today. All fish came off boards.

Adjustments.JPG

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Adjustments.JPG

Picture says it all.

Launched late morning, went straight out looking for king marks. Saw some bait on the bottom, but not much else.

Pulled gear, and ran to the trench. Couldn’t find marks there either. The current seemed to be pretty substantial, but I had tried to calibrate the X4, and think I probably messed it up pretty good .

Went into 40 looking for marks, same story.

Still beats working.

Rusty

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Rough out today. Took a while to get out of stony to outer trench. Picked up a king on 450 copper. And dragged a tiny laker on meat on a rigger when we pulled lines. Didn’t fish long. Temp was 48 down 100 fished over 130-150.

• Like 1

Was out yesterday in the trench. First solo trip. Dropped riggers at 7, pulled lines at 10. Had 47 degrees down 90ish. The were marks on the screen. Counted 22 boats at one point. Didn’t see any nets move, and only had a small brown when I went in shallow for some relief from the winds. No skunk! I’ll take it for my first solo trip. I was happy to get my gear in an manage to steer!IMG_4929.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1