20 HP

Yes & no. It depends on the circumstances & what your expectations are. If your fishing inshore waters for say browns in spring Or kings in fall  I’d say absolutely, if your thinking of running 5 miles off shore for summer steelhead....that’s another story.  It’s all about you though. 

I also run a 16ft boat, but have a 60hp. Just like above. Watch the weather. Its doable in a small boat. I only make the trip for inshore browns or fall kings closer to shore. Otherwise fish the fingerlakes. Dont be afraid to leave if the weather picks up. Again, its doable but you have to be smart about it. Watch the wind and wave report. Another thing I do is no matter what the weather or time of year up there, wear a lifejacket. You never know in a small boat when you wish you had one on. 

Lowballer is on the money IMO. Pick ur days and expect not to fish more then u can. I run a 25ft trophy and tonight I’m sitting on the dock drinkin beer cause I’m to small for the lake this evening. 
   10 years ago I only fished salmon river in September on a 16ft flat bottom with a 4.5hp. One morning lake was like glass so the wife and I went out to 80fow and trolled for an hour. Then felt a breeze comin from the north. Went from glass to 2to4ftrs in minutes Scariest 45min trip back to port Ontario of my life. Think the wife got scared for life. 

• Like 1

Yeh, could tell some stories. This topic gets alot of discussion from both sides. Mostly caring advice. I only fish the O in August and September, but will fish temp as long as possible. Tough that time of yr. Always have a backup plan. Oneida for bass ,walleye etc., or run to Cayuga for land locks and lakers. Fish your gear, and stay in your comfort zone. Safety protocol and pfds mandatory! Unfortunately for me, sometimes you can't fix stupid, but never put people at risk. Just being in big water is enough. Be humble.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Launch out of the bays that way it's a built in backup plan fishing warmwater species most of the year you can find fish within 2 miles or less of port watch the weather like a hawk and be willing to cut and run quick that small a boat you can beach it in an emergency and you can trailer a long ways so follow the wind and wave reports

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

8 hours ago, ifishy said:

Launch out of the bays that way it's a built in backup plan fishing warmwater species most of the year you can find fish within 2 miles or less of port watch the weather like a hawk and be willing to cut and run quick that small a boat you can beach it in an emergency and you can trailer a long ways so follow the wind and wave reports

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Do this and you'll be fine. Good advice.:yes: