Fishing Cayuga

Hey guys, had a quick question. I’m new to fishing Cayuga, I mainly fish local reservoirs and a ton on Lake Ontario. I’ve only fished Cayuga one time and was curious to know how the technique differs from trolling browns on Lake Ontario. On Lake Ontario we mix in tons of various colors with both stick baits and spoons. is Cayuga a more natural color approach?? Also depth (before the thermocline sets in) are most guys trolling shallow water in early spring like on Lake Ontario or is it fishing suspended fish over deeper water utilizing the riggers and segmented leadcore to get down a few feet??. Not looking for any GPS coordinates or specific spots. Just trying to shortened the curve a bit. My boat is completely rigged for all trolling applications. Just trying to get a few tips for Cayuga because it’s a bit closer for me then lake O, also I can fish it alone on my boat utilizing my autopilot minnkota.

Thanks in advance for any info

Mike G

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

1 hour ago, vogel451 said:

Same Game different lake

x2 just stay away from the pike at the extreme north end:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

been fishing Cayuga for a few years now and we have good luck launching out of long point and fishing south along the east shore 40 feet and less its pretty flat with the exceptions of the occasional points that will come up pretty quick watch you're electronics lol  spoons and stickbaits on slide divers and boards. north of long point is also real good as the bait balls start to show themselves specifically up by the college another flat with a nice drop-off again keep an eye on youre screen good luck

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mgagz5 said:

It was crazy, my first time ever, I was trolling a mudline down out of treman launch. Huge pike smashed my stickbait off one of my boards. Not my intended species but it was still really cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sounds like you had a good Welcome to Cayuga!  I had a blast with my first Cayuga pike earlier this year.  Similar to yours it hammered the stickbait off the big board and ran nearly a hundred feet.  Loads of fight but I was nervous near the end it would cut through the flouro.  The stick was caught in the front of its mouth and hooked both top and bottom jaw.  Many stories on here of pike taking multiple sticks intended for Browns and landlocks.    One big difference between Cayuga and Ontario is the dramatic drop offs pretty close to shore.    If you're at a ledge on Cayuga it can seem like there is 20-30 feet depth difference off boards on 1 side of the boat vs the other.   I never dared fish in shallow until adding an autopilot this year.   Too nervous about crashing while setting lines or fighting a fish

• 4 weeks later...