Best seat mounting method for 12' aluminum fishing boat?

1lastweekend

I have a seat mounted to the clamp style bracket that I have been using for the last couple of years on my 12' aluminum boat.  I have tried adding ropes, ratchet straps, etc to the bottom of the clamps looped under the bench seat, and nothing will hold the seat tightly to the aluminum bench seat.  I always tighten the nuts down on the clamp as tight as I can before adding the ropes, straps, etc, and the seat still comes loose.  Looking for some other mounting ideas/techniques I can try...

seat1.jpg

seat2.jpg

Very often the floatation foam is in that seat compartment so drilling into it could be a problem. What about a 3/4 inch piece of marine plywood on top of the seat compartment anchored in by modified "L" brackets at either end to the gunwales? heavy duty 3/4 ss screws used and maybe strips of plumbing pipe holder material bent like u brackets and mounted to the plywood with heavy duty 3/4 screws in multiple holes....or use (heavier) starboard instead of plywood? just a thought off the top of my head...

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

Very often the floatation foam is in that seat compartment so drilling into it could be a problem. What about a 3/4 inch piece of marine plywood on top of the seat compartment anchored in by modified "L" brackets at either end? heavy duty 3/4 ss screws used and maybe strips of plumbing pipe holder material bent like u brackets and mounted to the plywood with heavy duty 3/4 screws in multiple holes....or use (heavier) starboard instead of plywood? just a thought off the top of my head...

Yes there is foam under the aluminum bench seat so i have stayed away from drilling into that so far.  

So you are thinking a piece of 3/4" plywood across the top, mounted to the angled seat supports, and then attach the seat to the plywood?  That is a good idea, I think I have some leftover marine plywood i could try that out.  Thanks for the idea!

16 hours ago, 1lastweekend said:

Yes there is foam under the aluminum bench seat so i have stayed away from drilling into that so far.  

So you are thinking a piece of 3/4" plywood across the top, mounted to the angled seat supports, and then attach the seat to the plywood?  That is a good idea, I think I have some leftover marine plywood i could try that out.  Thanks for the idea!

yes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrophySeeker said:

I put this in my boat. It lets you slide to the middle to balance when fishing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXOYQ/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apa_i_y9yPEbEHEW8T9

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks that could work...Did you mount it directly to the boats bench seat or did you put some wood in between the seat and the slide?