Trolling Depths

lead core approx 4-5 feet per color at 2.5 mph

steel, not sure what you're looking for. Wire diver with a flasher/fly figure approx 3:1 on a 2 setting

45 lb copper (.037 diam) approx 22 feet per 100 feet of copper at 2.5

YMMV

Tim

Tim and Yankee,

On the Steel. What I am looking for is an idea of the depth when using wire with:

3 1/2 " Dipsy with a Spin Doctor and a Fly or a Spin Doctor and Spoon. Same goes for an E Chip with a Fly or Spoon.

I know there are variations so I am looking for some idea to start with.

Thanks,

Howie

Howie,

pretty much what I said above. Figure a 3:1 ratio with a large dipsy on a 2 setting with a flasher, so, for instance, 180 back will be down approx 60 feet.

large dipsy with a spoon on a 2 setting, not quite 2:1, so 120 back would probably be down 50-55 feet.

Tim

• 1 month later...

Depending on the size of the reel you'll be putting the core on and how much core you'll be putting on it you can run either mono or braid backer. For my two color core I run 30# mono then tie the mono to the core with an Albright knot, then another Albright knot to attach 20' of leader material to the other end of the core. I've always tied the Albright knot on my core set-ups but lots of guys use the Willis knot with lots of success too. For longer core lengths I use 30# Power Pro as backer cuz it takes up less room than mono does.

Just something to think about: Copper setups(22' down/100' line out) will put you to depth using roughly 1/2 the amount of line that lead core(11.25' down/100' line out) uses, which eliminates a lot of hassles.This is why there is so much interest in copper now. If you are going to target depths below 40', and especially if you intend to use flashers, you may want to think about using copper instead of lead. For relatively shallow presentations the core is cool but if you want to go deep the copper is tough to beat!