Lake Trout Fishing

First of all, I am new to boat fishing and I am thankful for the members of this site for helping me get out catching Browns this year with my boys. Without the help I would have been overwhelmed and frustrated. We want to catch Lake Trout for the first time and typically start at Mexico Point and looking for set ups to get started. Any help would be appreciated.

Lake trout are primarily bottom oriented for much of the season; especially Spring and Fall and they may also be found in shallower water then. probably the best way to catch them trolling is using a cowbell setup with a Gambler Rig behind it. There are several ways tto run them depending on the tackle you have. A lot of folks run them from downriggers near the bottom and run close to the weight. I mainly run mine on dedicated wire rods using a three way swivel and a dropper weight and run two rods at a time continually letting out wire as I go deeper to maintain closeness to the bottom. It helps to let them down in shallower water and gradually go deeper letting them down close to the bottom as you go along. When using riggers you have to be VERY careful not to get hung up on the bottom. Troll slowly about 1.3-1.8 mph

https://gamblerrigs.com/products/cowbells

https://gamblerrigs.com/products/gambler-rig

Edited by Sk8man

Lake trout are primarily bottom oriented for much of the season; especially Spring and Fall and they may also be found in shallower water then. probably the best way to catch them trolling is using a cowbell setup with a Gambler Rig behind it. There are several ways tto run them depending on the tackle you have. A lot of folks run them from downriggers near the bottom and run close to the weight. I mainly run mine on dedicated wire rods using a three way swivel and a dropper weight and run two rods at a time continually letting out wire as I go deeper to maintain closeness to the bottom. It helps to let them down in shallower water and gradually go deeper letting them down close to the bottom as you go along. When using riggers you have to be VERY careful not to get hung up on the bottom. Troll slowly about 1.3-1.8 mph
https://gamblerrigs.com/products/cowbells
https://gamblerrigs.com/products/gambler-rig

Thank you for the detailed response

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Usually about 18 inches or so. I have run them 15 inches to 26 or so but 18-20 seems best to me at least with the cowbells 4-10 ft behind the weight

Edited by Sk8man

Oh....I almost forgot about the kings. Yes they are around to an extent in the Spring but are lower in age/weight usually and they tend to be predominant in the western part of the lake and gradually move along the southern shoreline and then as the season rolls on they go out further and deeper and then late Summer through early Fall head for the Salmon River toward the east end (larger spawner fish). Just a general picture:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

R&R magnum Kodiak Wobbler spoons. Email Dave at mytacklebox.com. Get the black with pearl cup and place them 10’ behind your downrigger ball within 10’ of the bottom. Troll with your downspeed at 1.75-2 mph. See spoons on engine cover

E5D8A4DE-B578-4DD3-BC37-B2D3E3A60564.jpeg

22 hours ago, Dad with Twin boys said:

How far behind the Cowbell do you run the Gambler rig?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

24" - 28" in the standard.  Shorter works but somedays they are not in the mood and will not come in that tight.  I have tried longer but 28" seems to be the best length.  Longer leads didn't produce anymore bites for me.  

All of Brian’s rigs will catch you more lakers than you know what to do with.
Grab a couple different ones and play with them. You’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

9 minutes ago, Dad with Twin boys said:

Thanks guys, Brian is a great resource and I placed an order on his website. Thanks again to this site for pointing me in the right direction. Saturday I am taking my boys Lake Trout fishing with his tackle on board. Hopefully we can find them as we head out towards the plant.

Nice chatting with you Darrick.  Thank you for the order.  And like I said, any questions, feel free to ask!  I'm always willing to help guys out.  

All of Brian’s rigs will catch you more lakers than you know what to do with.
Grab a couple different ones and play with them. You’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United